[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Microsoft cutting 5,000 jobs

bushwacked

Dell is hiring like crazy.

I dont know what their numbers are projected to look like but the MS cuts are directly as a result of their reports to wall street coming in at the low end or lower than projected...imo, these cuts are short sighted...sure they "seem" to be doing what is right by their investors but the truth is that they are a BIG component of the DOW and they are cutting a major part of their workforce while they are still profitable...sure their numbers came in less than expectations but they are still profitable...i dont see anything good coming from this...5000 people get laid off and cant add any money into the economy further stressing it(more companies will be following suit) so it perpetuates itself...I think it would have been better for MS to issue a statement sayin that they missed their projections and while normal course of action would be to cut jobs etc that they feel doing so now would only hurt the company as well as the economy and therefore they are going to do what they can to cut costs etc without cutting jobs because they feel a duty to not just their investors but the ecomony that they help to drive...but in the end wall street greed has seen fit to make that an impossible dream

Edited by keggerz

I dont know what their numbers are projected to look like but the MS cuts are directly as a result of their reports to wall street coming in at the low end or lower than projected...imo, these cuts are short sighted...sure they "seem" to be doing what is right by their investors but the truth is that they are a BIG component of the DOW and they are cutting a major part of their workforce while they are still profitable...sure their numbers came in less than expectations but they are still profitable...i dont see anything good coming from this...5000 people get laid off and cant add any money into the economy further stressing it(more companies will be following suit) so it perpetuates itself...I think it would have been better for MS to issue a statement sayin that they missed their projections and while normal course of action would be to cut jobs etc that they feel doing so now would only hurt the company as well as the economy and therefore they are going to do what they can to cut costs etc without cutting jobs because they feel a duty to not just their investors but the ecomony that they help to drive...but in the end wall street greed has seen fit to make that an impossible dream

In my opinion, that is the biggest problem; the short sightedness of Wall Street. It has everyone looking for short term numbers, that is where you get the "creative" accounting and Enron's of the world.

In my opinion, that is the biggest problem; the short sightedness of Wall Street. It has everyone looking for short term numbers, that is where you get the "creative" accounting and Enron's of the world.

Bingo. That's the nail hit squarely on the head.

I agree and think that was what I said...if not it is what I was trying to say :wacko: