[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Power steering problems

Swashbucklers

My power steering seems to be faltering a bit. When I start the car (It is an 02 Nissan Altima 2.5L) in the morning or after it has been sitting a while, it seems hard to turn and doesn't turn back easily after making a 90 degree turn. It seems to get better after it "warms up". Do any of you know if this is a major problem or if I just need to add some power steering fluid. I have no idea when it comes to cars, I just hate to have to pay to get things taken care of!

The first thing to check is always the fluid - you should have a resivoir under the hood.

+1 If the fluid level is down, then it makes it much harder to steer. If you find that the fluid level is down, then second thing to check for is leaks. That stuff doesn't just evaporate.

If it's low on fluid it should make a groaning sound. Do not overfill the reservoir. You'll certainly have leaks after that. If it's low, you can buy the correct fluid with sealant and conditioner in it. It will stop minor leaks.

Be VERY careful with the sealant fluids. What they do is soften and swell the rubber seals. If all you have is a pressure line leaking then adding these types of conditioners will do nothing but turn a moderate repair into a very costly one. The seals in the rack and pinion and pump will more likely be damaged than repaired by such additives. There is no such thing as "Mechanic in a can" people!

On to your problem..... As was mentioned, low fluid level is a probable cause here. You could also be having a problem with the rack and pinion failing. In the mid to late 80's GM had a big problem with their rack and pinions and this was exactly the complaint drivers were having. It would be far more noticeable in colder weather conditions.

Is this happening turning both left and right?