[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The elephant in the room

muck

Again, it's very reassuring we're looking to government to solve the economic crisis. :wacko:

This room is getting crowded with pachyderms. While Obama has mentioned medicare and SS reform, he's given no hint of just how hugh the problem is or how he plans to solve it. Add the city, county, state and federal pensions.... and unfunded pensions from the private sector that will undoubtedly surface....

I thought that it was interesting that both Obama and McCain during their debates, just sort of pooh-poohed the whole Social Security debacle. Their take was that it was so easy to fix that they couldn't even be bothered to talk about it.

This is just another shining example of why politicians should not be allowed to handle money.

I thought that it was interesting that both Obama and McCain during their debates, just sort of pooh-poohed the whole Social Security debacle. Their take was that it was so easy to fix that they couldn't even be bothered to talk about it.

This is just another shining example of why politicians should not be allowed to handle money.

Social Security is easy to fix. The fix is one nobody wants to do however as it involves upping the withholding and probably means testing on payouts. Medicare is supposed to be the even bigger mess.

The nation’s largest public pension fund, California Public Employees’ Retirement System, has been reporting an expected rate of return of 7.75 percent for the past eight years, and 8 percent before that, according to Calpers spokesman Clark McKinley.

2008 was the first year ever that it experienced a net loss. I can attribute personal loss to this occurrence. :wacko:

Social Security is easy to fix. The fix is one nobody wants to do however as it involves upping the withholding and probably means testing on payouts. Medicare is supposed to be the even bigger mess.

Replace the strike with "increasing the eligibility ages so that people born after 1968 (i.e., those under 40) are not eligible until they reach 85 or 90 and means-testing payouts, and if needed, upping the withholding".

...I'm sure that's what you really meant to say, CG...

2008 was the first year ever that it experienced a net loss. I can attribute personal loss to this occurrence. :wacko:

I don't think you should blame yourself for Calpers losing so much money, Darin. It's not healthy.

this will cause the fall of society. govt workers and unions will strike when they find out they have nothing for retirement. cities will grind to a halt when all services slow or stop. good times ahead! sell gold and buy bullets!

usually the fall of a society is caused by the neglect of the poorer and middle class citizens. but hey who needs history anyway.