[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A/K/A Tommy Chong

Kid Cid

This is a very interesting movie about the U.S. Government's sting operation to bust Tommy Chong for the manufacture and distribution of glass pipes or smoking aparatii. Once again, it goes to show how appearance goes much farther in public perception than reality. It also give a pretty decent look at who Tommy Chong really is. He's much more than the character of "The Man" that everyone associates with him.

The Long and the Short of it is, it wasn't really his business, it ws his son's, but Tommy took the heat to keep his son and his wife out of prison because that's who the gov't (read: Ashcroft and Buchanan) really wanted. It's kind of sad and enitrely infuriating to think that these are the types of crimes that the US gov't spends its time (and our money) working on.

This is a very interesting movie about the U.S. Government's sting operation to bust Tommy Chong for the manufacture and distribution of glass pipes or smoking aparatii. Once again, it goes to show how appearance goes much farther in public perception than reality. It also give a pretty decent look at who Tommy Chong really is. He's much more than the character of "The Man" that everyone associates with him.

The Long and the Short of it is, it wasn't really his business, it ws his son's, but Tommy took the heat to keep his son and his wife out of prison because that's who the gov't (read: Ashcroft and Buchanan) really wanted. It's kind of sad and enitrely infuriating to think that these are the types of crimes that the US gov't spends its time (and our money) working on.

I haven't seen the movie but, is it illegal to make glass pipes/bongs/the like? :wacko: The tobacco shop I go to has them in the display case with a sign that reads "For Tobacco use only!". Now we all know it's BS, and I asked the owner about it one day and he said he is in full compliance w/ the law. And btw, cops are in there all the time. :D I guess I'll have to watch the movie, but am I missing something on the basic premise stated?

I think it had to do with interstate transportation. It was specifically shipping them to Pennsylvania that caused the problem, but there may be other arcane laws about them in every state. I don't know the full details.

I think it had to do with interstate transportation. It was specifically shipping them to Pennsylvania that caused the problem, but there may be other arcane laws about them in every state. I don't know the full details.

Whatever.....I truly love it when we spend a gazillion $$$ to litigate bong makers. I for one feel it's worth it! To hell w/ protecting the public from crime, bong makers are the #1 threat to our nation We should eradicate this scum. :wacko:

The methodology used by Buchanan in the drug paraphernalia sting called Operation Pipe Dreams goes beyond the use of unnecessary force and brushes closely with entrapment.

It is against the law to ship drug paraphernalia across state lines in two states, and luckily for Buchanan, Pennsylvania is one of them.

According to a manager at Chong's Glass/Nice Dreams, a man from Beaver Falls, PA called at least 20 times, trying to get them to send him a large order of their handmade glassware. Staff at the company refused every time, citing the law against selling paraphernalia in that state.

The Beaver Falls man became so frustrated that he finally traveled to their headquarters in California and put together an order on site. By the time the company had amassed and packaged everything the man wanted, he told them he was back in Pennsylvania; could they just ship it to him? At first they said no, but as the boxes held up production for other orders, they finally caved and sent the stuff out.

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/analysis/552

the Justice Department spent $12 million to put Chong in jail
:wacko: