[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

You guys threw a wrench in our plans... A holes.

Are we allowed to trade picks?

If only. Have fun figuring the pick out. Thanks for being prompt.

ETA: Gopher must be writing a book about his pick of Everette Brown.

Edited by irish

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everette Brown, DE/OLB, FSU - This was not an easy decision, by any means. I strongly considered five different players from four different positions before making this selection. The 49ers clearly have a variety of holes that need to be filled... Here is a brief synopsis of my decision-making process:

They were very poor in the trenches last year, giving up a league-high 55 sacks, so the offensive line is obviously an issue. The question everyone is asking, though, is how many of those sacks were a result of the Martz offensive scheme? Given the question marks surrounding the remaining first-round caliber offensive tackles, I ultimately chose to go another direction, leaving the offensive line to be addressed at a later point in the draft and/or through free agency.

Secondly, the 49ers' secondary is basically in shambles... They desparately need both a safety to replace the rapidly declining Mark Roman, and a shut-down CB who can come in and immediately become the nickel-back, but also work under the tutelage of, and eventually replace, 14-year veteran Walt Harris. The Niners will most definitely address at least one of these positions in this year's draft as well, I just don't think it will be in the first round.

Many mock drafts have the 49ers projected to draft a QB... some say Stafford, some say Sanchez. I say that there are too many reasons not to pick a QB in the first round for them to do so without it being a huge risk. They've made that mistake once (Alex Smith), and although the situations are entirely different, I believe that Singletary and the front office will decide to pick a player that not only helps them build for the future, but also can become an impact player this year. Drafting a QB at pick #10 would have little to no effect on this season, at least on the field. Furthermore, the jury is still out on Shaun Hill... I don't think anyone believes that he's going to the Pro Bowl any time soon, but is he enough of a liability that you need to spend your top draft pick on his eventual replacement? I say no.

I could go on and on... they could use a WR as well. But, given Singletary's style of play, and the fact that he most definitely wants to bolster the defense, does it really make sense to draft a WR early in the draft? Once again, doing so would likely mean drafting a player who's going to have little impact on this year's team. Singletary wants to build a team anchored on defense and the running game, so I believe that they'll wait on a WR, if they draft one at all.

The bottom line is that the one area that the 49ers need to improve most is their front-line defense. The big question regarding Brown is whether he is big (tall) enough to play DE at the NFL level... I don't think it matters in the case of San Francisco. They need an outside pass-rushing LB just as badly as they need a DE. Where they decide to put him eventually doesn't really matter at this point. What matters is that, with this pick, they're getting a defensive play-maker, a guy who arguably could be described as the best pure pass rusher in the draft. Adding a premiere pass-rusher on the outside will also take some of the pressure off of their weakened secondary, meaning that they can focus on addressing their OL issues sooner, rather than later, in this draft.

You guys threw a wrench in our plans... A holes.

Are we allowed to trade picks?

That's the other thing that I was going to mention... I strongly would have considered trading down from the 10 pick, given how things unfolded. Like I said, I considered several players from different positions, and given the 49ers situation, I think it would have been the perfect opportunity to shop the 10th pick to see what they could get for it. I wouldn't be that surprised if they do so in the actual draft as well... There are a lot of players who fit their needs at various positions, who could probably be had in the mid/late first round. By trading the 10th pick, they could move up in other rounds or gain additional picks, IMO, which wouldn't hurt them at all.

That's the other thing that I was going to mention... I strongly would have considered trading down from the 10 pick, given how things unfolded. Like I said, I considered several players from different positions, and given the 49ers situation, I think it would have been the perfect opportunity to shop the 10th pick to see what they could get for it. I wouldn't be that surprised if they do so in the actual draft as well... There are a lot of players who fit their needs at various positions, who could probably be had in the mid/late first round. By trading the 10th pick, they could move up in other rounds or gain additional picks, IMO, which wouldn't hurt them at all.

Yeah trading picks like the actual NFL teams will do come the real Draft would be ideal.

Well so as to not hold things up, Ill pick. We briefly discussed it, and we both agreed we need help at DE more than anything. We wanted Orakpo, but thats a pipe dream at 11. Everett Brown would have been next. I deally we would trade this pick, and grabbed this guy later, but whatev.

WOW!! Peepin and Satellite select DE, Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech as the 11th pick for the Bills.

LordOpie is now on the clock selecting for the Broncos.

Edited by irish

LordOpie selects DT, Peria Jerry from Mississippi as the 12th pick for the Broncos. Some scouts have him as the best overall DT over Raji.

WashingtonD is now on the clock selecting for the Redskins.

Peria Jerry, DT, might not be the BPA and I might have reached a bit. Ideally, the Broncos will trade down five spots, pick him up there and get another 2nd or 3rd pick.

But I picked him out of need. We really don't have much on the DLine. His positives, according to some reviews, is that he has a great motor and just ram charges the OL to push them back. The negative was that during his power charge, he doesn't pay attention to what's actually going on... ya know what, if he can take a double team and work them backwards and collapse the pocket, I don't really care cuz that'd be huge, the LBs need to shoot the gap, make the tackle, harass the QB.

I hear ya. Jerry is also an old rookie as he'll be 25 years old. He's also had some nagging injuries throughout his career and some question his durability. However, the Broncos needed to address both the DT and DE spots. Another issue is that how well will Jerry fit being that he may be more suited to a 4-3 scheme and the Broncos are transitioning to a 3-4 with Nolan around now?

I thought you might have gone with Aaron Maybin as he would provide a solid pass rush and would be well suited to fit into the 3-4 scheme.

Edited by irish

Peria Jerry, DT, might not be the BPA and I might have reached a bit. Ideally, the Broncos will trade down five spots, pick him up there and get another 2nd or 3rd pick.

But I picked him out of need. We really don't have much on the DLine. His positives, according to some reviews, is that he has a great motor and just ram charges the OL to push them back. The negative was that during his power charge, he doesn't pay attention to what's actually going on... ya know what, if he can take a double team and work them backwards and collapse the pocket, I don't really care cuz that'd be huge, the LBs need to shoot the gap, make the tackle, harass the QB.

From the way things sound with Cutler, maybe Denver at 12th pick should have taken the first QB of the draft. :wacko:

From the way things sound with Cutler, maybe Denver at 12th pick should have taken the first QB of the draft. :wacko:

:D This same thought crossed my mind as well.

:D I'm pretty ignorant at IDP. I really only read mock drafts and analysis. I just figured if the guy is kinda big, good feet, and good motor, well, that should help.

As far as Aaron Maybin goes, well, we got several DL in FA and they're all more suited to DE than DT, so this was more about need. My only concern is that some reports say that Jerry ain't even 300#. I had thought about the other top DTs that are 310-320, but the whole "motor" thing was appealing :D

Yeah I'm not entirely up to snuff on which DL you guys picked up in FA but the Jerry pick was certainly a solid one as the Broncos definitely need to sure up the center of the D-line. There's no question that from what I've read, Jerry is explosive and definately has the ability to be a disruptive force up front which is exactly what you'd hope for. The other DT that are available aren't worth this high of a pick.

If they even remotely entertain that thought, they should just trade him to DET for the #20 overall and DET's 2nd and 3rd picks... I don't think we have the money for the #1 overall.

Take the top QB at #12 -and- grab Byron Leftwich while he's still available. No, I'm not advocating this, but how is Lefwich still out there?

For the most part I was joking about Denver taking a QB. But am I the only one that thinks that Stafford will not make it to the 12th pick?

For the most part I was joking about Denver taking a QB. But am I the only one that thinks that Stafford will not make it to the 12th pick?

Nope. I feel the same. He'll be gone. Maybe Sanchez drops but Stafford should go early. Again part of the problem is that there is no trading in this mock draft. If there was trading and Stafford slipped past 5 then I think we see movement from other teams to possibly move up and grab him especially if Stafford gets past the Jaguars with the 8th pick.

Well so as to not hold things up, Ill pick. We briefly discussed it, and we both agreed we need help at DE more than anything. We wanted Orakpo, but thats a pipe dream at 11. Everett Brown would have been next. I deally we would trade this pick, and grabbed this guy later, but whatev.

not real sure what the rush was, we should have tried the trade with detroit. whatever though, no big deal but this pick is a reach.

Wow,

Riches galore for the Redskins at the 13th pick.

Let's go through needs:

Clearly youth on the defensive side is critical. We spent a lot of money on Haynesworth at DT, but we are aging at DE, LB, and CB.

On the offensive side of the ball the primary need is on offensive line, high picks and FA signings have filled every other need to a certain extent.

Viable Options

Stafford QB. Ok, it's not a need, Campbell is viewed in DC as the QB of the future (which I agree with), but this kid has fallen to the 13th pick, I almost have to take him as a combo value pick (best player available, arguably) and though Campbell is the QB of the future, he is not a sure thing and let's be honest we don't have an answer on the bench (sorry todd collins) if he is not. If there was trading, I wouldn't go any farther. I'd pick Stafford and play it out until some team realizes they need him.

A Smith OT. So talented. So Athletic. So huge. Great tools. Complete head and moral case. Also fits a big need in solidifying our offensive line and also bringing some youth to the table (we are so old except for Stephon Heyer).

M Jenkins CB. He has the ball skills and size to be a successful NFL CB. Had the Redskins not resigned DeAgelo Hall for big bucks, Jenkins would be close to a no brainer at 13.

It's hard to pass Stafford here, the value of the pick is unbelievable, but it's just not in the Skins best interest to make that selection unless they already had a deal in place to move him. I'd love to see a DE or LB here, but there are no LBs that are worthy of going this high, and the good DEs have already gone off the board.

It's a fricken crapshoot, but taking the shot on Andre Smith (at one point viewed as the #2 pick in this draft by many) is the right move here for the Skins. We have talent on the offensive side of the ball both in recieving and running, but the line is old and injury prone. Taking the best available line man and then slotting him into Tackle/Guard depending on his ability to cope in the NFL sets the Redskins up for the most immediate and long term success.

WashD

The Saints pick Malcolm Jenkins DB Ohio State

While he may not have the speed many thought he had(shown at the combine) and slightly stiff hips he would make an excellent ball hawk free safety is he isn't a starting CB. The Saints need DB help. I considered one of the USC linebackers but with Vilma signed decided to go with what was once considered a very high value DB.

Edited by Randall

MTsuper is now on the clock selecting for the Texans.

not real sure what the rush was, we should have tried the trade with detroit. whatever though, no big deal but this pick is a reach.

Didnt wanna hold things up... We needed a DE, and the ones we discussed were gone. I asked if we could trade picks, and was told "if only". I assumed that meant no we couldnt, and that we were trying to just make the picks as is.

DE is our biggest need, so I took a DE. Sorry. :wacko:

However, the Bills are notorious for reaching. Whitner at 9, McGahee really early, McCargo, JP... the list goes on and on, so it wouldnt surprise me if they reach yet again.

So with pick #15 in the real NFL Draft, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Stafford will really be there. I can see how a Lions fan would be afraid to pick a QB #1 overall (though I think they'll take Stafford, but if they don't for some reason, they WILL take an OL). But how do teams like St. Louis, Seattle, Jacksonville, San Fran pass on this kid? All of them have significant QB needs (Jacksonville maybe not as much as the others, but is Garrard really a long-term answer?). Why is everyone on these boards so down on Stafford? Because of his combine? Come on now, there is a reason that he is a top 3 pick on basically every mock draft out there.

But if somehow this were to happen, the Texans would snatch the kid up in a heartbeat. Not because they don't think Schaub is the answer... But Schaub has proven that he isn't that durable, and he also is a due a fat bonus in 2010. If the kid progresses well as a rookie learning the playbook, maybe they feel confident they could deal Schaub and roll with Stafford. But the Texan offense would be a wonderful playground for Stafford to roll with... Lots of weapons.

More realistically, I see the Texans maybe taking a LB with this pick depending on who is out there. They are set at DE now. There is a chance they draft a guy like Moreno to split carries with Slaton (they definitely will find a bruiser in this draft at some point).

So with pick #15 in the real NFL Draft, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Stafford will really be there. I can see how a Lions fan would be afraid to pick a QB #1 overall (though I think they'll take Stafford, but if they don't for some reason, they WILL take an OL). But how do teams like St. Louis, Seattle, Jacksonville, San Fran pass on this kid? All of them have significant QB needs (Jacksonville maybe not as much as the others, but is Garrard really a long-term answer?). Why is everyone on these boards so down on Stafford? Because of his combine? Come on now, there is a reason that he is a top 3 pick on basically every mock draft out there.

But if somehow this were to happen, the Texans would snatch the kid up in a heartbeat. Not because they don't think Schaub is the answer... But Schaub has proven that he isn't that durable, and he also is a due a fat bonus in 2010. If the kid progresses well as a rookie learning the playbook, maybe they feel confident they could deal Schaub and roll with Stafford. But the Texan offense would be a wonderful playground for Stafford to roll with... Lots of weapons.

More realistically, I see the Texans maybe taking a LB with this pick depending on who is out there. They are set at DE now. There is a chance they draft a guy like Moreno to split carries with Slaton (they definitely will find a bruiser in this draft at some point).

Unreal value at the #15 slot! I agree there's no way Stafford lasts this long. Hell, I was going to be saying the saw things in 2 picks when I chose for the Jets.

Also I wanted to say, sorry to those who would've like to be able to trade picks but it's just not a reasonable thing for this mock as we only have 2 rounds and it'd be more of a hassle to start shifting around. Besides, it's just a mock. So, who really cares that Peepin's pick may have been a bit of a reach. He also made a good point about how the Bills have reached in past drafts as well.

Edited by irish

Taz is now on the clock selecting for the Chargers.

With the 16th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, San Diego Chargers take Jonathan Stewart.

The crowd goes silent.

(tho I bet Taz takes the first RB, being Knowshon)

I told him Jonathan needs to reenter the draft. I think his response was :wacko:

Didnt wanna hold things up... We needed a DE, and the ones we discussed were gone. I asked if we could trade picks, and was told "if only". I assumed that meant no we couldnt, and that we were trying to just make the picks as is.

DE is our biggest need, so I took a DE. Sorry. :wacko:

However, the Bills are notorious for reaching. Whitner at 9, McGahee really early, McCargo, JP... the list goes on and on, so it wouldnt surprise me if they reach yet again.

Don't be sorry, I think they go with Maybin or even Pettigrew if they were to "reach" . We know the right thing was to trade down....even if we didn't or couldn't

Don't be sorry, I think they go with Maybin or even Pettigrew if they were to "reach" . We know the right thing was to trade down....even if we didn't or couldn't

I honestly think they will trade, unless someone falls to them (Orakpo, or someone else that is rated really high). I think they go defense either way in round one, but yeah, it wouldnt shock me for them to reach for Pettigrew.

This is a no-brainer considering the current situation with LT. The Chargers get there RB of the future and allow him to get seasoned behind a HOF before taking over the reigns. I would be ecstatic if Moreno fell to us and AJ pulled the trigger on KnowMo. I have a bad feeling, however, that he will take the over-hyped Beanie the Weanie Wells instead.

What say ye fellow Bolt backers? And all the insignificant others of course. :wacko:

Good lord I'd cream myself if Stewart were drafted by the Chargers last year lmao. Holy cow I'd nut 4 pairs of jeans before I got to the stadium!!

I'll take Know-Mo anyday of the week though. Am I concerned over his poor 40 time at the combine? Not at all...he's got football speed. 40 times are over-rated anyway....except for Chris Johnson that is.