[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fed Ex Puts hold on Plane Order

Perchoutofwater

No, most voted him in thinking they were going to get a tax cut, or not have to pay any taxes, and possibly have their home and gas paid for. With the exception of business owners and union hacks I doubt very many people knew much if anything about card check when they voted for him.

:wacko::D:D

Maybe they feel the they have to take it to the public. Look at what Obama is doing. I don't remember having a President come to the people so much to try to get them to come around to his way of thinking, how many press conferences has he had on the stimulus and bailouts. We get another one tonight.

:wacko:

The rest of us are completely offended that the president had a question and answer session tonight. Completely offended.

Looks like the Card Check program may not make it...this from yesterdays Hotel-Online, as it is a topic being microscopically watched by my industry:

Senator Arlen Specter Will Not Support the Employee Free Choice Act Reversing His Previous Support of the Bill and Reducing its Chance of Passage

Washington, D.C., March 24, 2008 – Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) announced on the Senate floor today that he would not support a critical vote on the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), reversing his previous support of the bill and reducing its chance of passage. The American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA) is a leading proponent in the national movement to defeat EFCA.

“On merits, the issue which has emerged at the top of the list for many is the elimination of the secret ballot which is the cornerstone of how contests are decided in a democratic society. The bill’s requirement for compulsory arbitration, if an agreement is not reached within 120 days, may subject the employer to a deal he or she cannot life with. Such arbitration runs contrary to the basic tenet of the Wagner Act for collective bargaining, which makes the employer liable only for a deal he or she agrees to,” argued Sen. Specter in his statement on the floor this afternoon.

“This is a decisive moment in the debate,” said Marlene Colucci, AH&LA’s executive vice president for public policy. “Sen. Specter’s announcement is just the kind of thoughtful decision that more Senators need to reach. 600,000 Americans a year could lose their jobs if this bill passes Congress, and his decision to not support the bill’s vote keeps those jobs from becoming another American economic tragedy. Sen. Specter deserves credit for protecting a worker’s rights to a secret ballot instead and he has earned the thanks of America’s 48,000 lodging properties today for his principled stance.”

Specter’s opposition to a cloture vote on the bill is another indication that the seriously flawed EFCA is losing support in Congress and around the country. Specter’s support of a worker’s right to a private ballot in the workplace could send the legislation down to defeat because of the 60 votes organized labor needs to overcome a promised Republican filibuster.

No, most voted him in thinking they were going to get a tax cut, or not have to pay any taxes, and possibly have their home and gas paid for. With the exception of business owners and union hacks I doubt very many people knew much if anything about card check when they voted for him.

I'm getting my tax cut. It's kind of like being bought off like a Congressman. Now I feel like I belong in America.

I've seen Obama on TV more than Bush all ready. That's what happens when the President before you spends all the money. Now Obama has to plead with us instead of taking those vacations.

Plead with us to do what - OK more deficit spending - the same failed policies that helped lead to this mess? Brilliant.

:cantbelieveI'mrespondingtofreakingwaterman:

Plead with us to do what - OK more deficit spending - the same failed policies that helped lead to this mess? Brilliant.

:cantbelieveI'mrespondingtofreakingwaterman:

I know you conveniently dismiss the fact that most of the spending was an emergency stimulus bill that most of American economists wanted more money spent on, but maybe you ought to acknowledge?

If you don't acknowledge, that is fine. But that is basically what's keeping the rest of us skeptical. Not only against him, but with your predictable mindset.

Edited by bushwacked

I know you conveniently dismiss the fact that most of the spending was an emergency stimulus bill that most of American economists wanted more money spent on, but maybe you ought to acknowledge?

If you don't acknowledge, that is fine. But that is basically what's keeping the rest of us skeptical. Not only against him, but with your predictable mindset.

I was agaisnt the horrific spending under Bush too - this isn't an Obama thing. He just happens to be the guy signing the bills now. I'd be livid if it was McCain signing away our kids' future. I didn't vote for him either.

To be honest, I'm not sure who's a good economist and who's a bad one these days. Isn't it fair to say that plenty of economists in top positions around the country helped sail our economy into a reef? Greenspan - one of the most heralded economists of our day - contributed to this mess by keeping interest rates too low which inflated the crazy borrowing which helped lead to the housing bubble. I don't really care that a lot of economists clamoured for the stimulus or more of a stimulus. Some of them flat have the whole model wrong.

It's a pretty simple concept, but I keep coming back to it after hearing that Brit dude say it - you can't borrow your way out of a deficit. Bush and the GOP rolled this snowball down a steeper part of the hill, Obama and the dems look to be even worse at this point.

the stimulus bill is not the biggest part of the problem, by any stretch. that was a flawed bill in a lot of important ways, and yeah, it's almost a trillion dollars. but the spending there, orgiastic and irresponsible as it is, is at least temporary and (mostly) short term.

an infinitely larger problem is his budget, which increases permanent, baseline spending so dramatically that the CBO is saying will still lead to trillion dollar deficits every year long after the stimulus bill spending is all dried up and, presumably, the economy has recovered.