[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Three Stooges Movie

THE SIX KINGS

Woo-woo-woo! Sean Penn Joins Three Stooges, Awaits Jim and Benicio

Natalie Finn, eonline

The Farrelly brothers have lined up more than just a few nyukleheads for their next picture.

If the casting gods align, a bowl-cut Benicio Del Toro will be sticking his fingers in the eyes of a puffed-up Jim Carrey, while a frowsy-haired Sean Penn watches on in Bobby and Peter Farrelly's update of The Three Stooges.

Del Toro and Carrey are in talks to play brothers Moe and Curly Howard in the film, which will not be a biopic, but rather a slapstick comedy based on the short films the trio made for Columbia Pictures in the 1930s and '40s.

Per Variety, Carrey—smartly sticking with the funny scripts for now—is already planning to pack on 40 pounds to play the jelly-bellied, put-upon Curly, the main target of Moe's slaphappiness and the foil for the majority of the Stooges' most wince-inducing antics.

Penn is already on board to play Larry Fine—for some, the unsung hero of the Stooges.

Production is expected to kick off this fall with an eye on a 2010 release date. The Farrellys, who will direct the film for MGM, also cowrote the script.

No word on whether Javier Bardem or Mickey Rourke—or perhaps Kevin Spacey—is in talks to play Shemp.

I'm going to be in the minority and think this could be somewhat interesting. I'm interested in seeing what Penn could do here. Anybody that's seen I am Sam knows how good of an actor the guy can be. Cue the bashing of his political beliefs...

I'm with you Grunge. I am not a Stooges fan (matter of fact, I kinda disliked the show), but the mixing of Penn doing comedy along side Carrey and Del Toro has me interested. I feel as if the script must have been good or Penn is a big fan of the Stooges to get him to commit to the project, although I am sure the $$$ didn't hurt.

Although I'd rather point to Milk or Dead Man Walking in highlighting a great acting of Penn...

Edited by TDFFFreak

I'm with you Grunge. I am not a Stooges fan (matter of fact, I kinda disliked the show), but the mixing of Penn doing comedy along side Carrey and Del Toro has me interested. I feel as if the script must have been good or Penn is a big fan of the Stooges to get him to commit to the project, although I am sure the $$$ didn't hurt.

Agree on all of this, but I watched the show when I was a kid.

I'm going to be in the minority and think this could be somewhat interesting. I'm interested in seeing what Penn could do here. Anybody that's seen I am Sam knows how good of an actor the guy can be. Cue the bashing of his political beliefs...

Just as long as he doesn't go 'full retard'