[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A-fib

Scooby

I am worried, to say the least, does anyone know about this. My dad is 73, looks like he's 53, active, physically fit, he likes bacon and fried chicken, though, & rarely drinks. He went to the ER for a racing heart, blood pressures 190/140...pulse 130..he had to stay in the hospital a few days, released but it happened again...he's on blood thinners now, along w/ BP meds which he has taken for 20+ yrs...plus they put him on anti-anxiety meds. Is this bad? does anyone know anyone w/ this condition?

Basic description is the atria ( which are the top two chambers of the heart ), will quiver or "fibrillate" instead of having a normal contraction. It puts the heart into an irregular rhythm, but the heart usually compensates with an adequate ventricular response to maintain perfusion.

Fairly common in the elderly, and people usually respond well with medication. People with AF have to stay on continuous anticoagulant therapy, usually with either aspirin or coumadin. Diltiazem is a common prescription medication for the condition, but it usually depends on if the AF is constant or transient.

Once the condition is managed with the appropriate medication people usually respond well. Most people I encounter with AF that require immediate treatment or conversion of the rhythm are @ initial onset of the condition.

Basic description is the atria ( which are the top two chambers of the heart ), will quiver or "fibrillate" instead of having a normal contraction. It puts the heart into an irregular rhythm, but the heart usually compensates with an adequate ventricular response to maintain perfusion.

Fairly common in the elderly, and people usually respond well with medication. People with AF have to stay on continuous anticoagulant therapy, usually with either aspirin or coumadin. Diltiazem is a common prescription medication for the condition, but it usually depends on if the AF is constant or transient.

Once the condition is managed with the appropriate medication people usually respond well. Most people I encounter with AF that require immediate treatment or conversion of the rhythm are @ initial onset of the condition.

this guy definitely slept in a holiday inn last night.

prayers for your pop scooby.

Very good info here. :wacko:

The blood thinners are necessary because the fibrillating heart can cause clots to form in the chambers which can possibly travel to the brain causing strokes.

My mother in law has AF and has been well for years on medication including coumadin. Coumadin has been discussed in other threads at the Huddle, but it is important to mention again that dosage can be tricky, so close monitoring with frequent blood testing is very important.