[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well.....that surprised me

Chargerz

I didn't see the Bolts taking Larry English out of Northern Illinois!!! :wacko:

I don't recall any mock drafts with him in the first round.

I guess A.J. knows what he's doing. :D

I don't think one person at the bar I was at knew who Larry English was accept me :wacko:

That being said, I was very disappointed to say the least. I kinda knew Ray wasn't a 3 down back but cmon. Larry English?

AJ Smith had perhaps the best draft in NFL history his first 2 seasons. Since then, however, he's drafted nothing but reaches. I hope this doesn't continue that trend.

The Bolts have the fourteenth pick in the third round. When I look at the needs for a run-stopping interior defensive lineman, offensive tackle/guard, and safety, I'm holding my breath waiting to see what A.J. does here.

Watch him draft a running back. :wacko:

I like what the Chargers are doing. A lot of trench work going on. (quote from nfl.com)

Round 1, Pick 16 (16) Larry English DE 6'2" 274 Northern Illinois

Pick Analysis:After watching their sack output drop significantly with Shawne Merriman injured, the Chargers add another pass rusher with English. The hard worker gives Ron Rivera a possible replacement for Merriman in the event of a rehab setback, and he gives the team three capable rushers in its 3-4 (Shaun Phillips, Merriman and English). With pass rushers at a premium, the Chargers made a wise choice.

Round 3, Pick 14 (78) Louis Vasquez OG 6'5" 333 Texas Tech

Pick Analysis:The Chargers find a potential replacement for Mike Goff with the selection of Vasquez. The former Red Raider lacks great athleticism, but he's a tough, physical blocker with the strength to move defenders off the ball.

Round 4, Pick 13 (113) Vaughn Martin DT 6'3" 331 Western Ontario (Canada)

Pick Analysis:Martin is a native Canadian who also attended college north of the border. Nobody really knows how good his competition was in college, but he had a great workout at Michigan's pro day. It's ironic that he wound up getting drafted ahead of any Michigan player. He ran a 4.96 at 330 pounds and had 44 bench press reps. He can provide the Chargers with a 5-technique DE and has the bulk to be a nose tackle.

Round 4, Pick 33 (133) (Compensatory selection) Tyronne Green NT 6'2" 309 Auburn

Pick Analysis:Green is a tough guy who was a two-year starter in college. He's a former defensive tackle. He will need to push himself a little harder in the pros and ramp up his work ethic. He'll provide guard depth for the Chargers.

Round 4, Pick 34 (134) (Compensatory selection) Gartrell Johnson RB 5'10" 219 Colorado State

Pick Analysis:Johnson is a strong inside runner. He's a junior-college transfer who came to Colorado State as a tough runner inside the tackles. He had an outstanding bowl game against New Mexico. He's a short-yardage, goal-line rusher who will complement Darren Sproles and LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego.

Edited by Riffraff

Yes but they havn't addressed there biggest hole. CB/S. I'm befuddled they took a prodding, short FB instead of some defensive backfield help.

According to nfl.com, their 4 biggest needs were: DL, OL, S, and RB. They have addressed the loss of Igor in the first round and addressed the OL and RB needs. A few rounds left to address the S position.

I like what the Chargers are doing. A lot of trench work going on. (quote from nfl.com)

I agree also. It was painfully obvious last year that line help was needed on both sides of the ball.

I like this Chargers draft!!!! :wacko: Every need has been potentially addressed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1, Pick 16 (16) Larry English DE 6'2" 274 Northern Illinois

Pick Analysis:After watching their sack output drop significantly with Shawne Merriman injured, the Chargers add another pass rusher with English. The hard worker gives Ron Rivera a possible replacement for Merriman in the event of a rehab setback, and he gives the team three capable rushers in its 3-4 (Shaun Phillips, Merriman and English). With pass rushers at a premium, the Chargers made a wise choice.

Round 3, Pick 14 (78) Louis Vasquez OG 6'5" 333 Texas Tech

Pick Analysis:The Chargers find a potential replacement for Mike Goff with the selection of Vasquez. The former Red Raider lacks great athleticism, but he's a tough, physical blocker with the strength to move defenders off the ball.

Round 4, Pick 13 (113) Vaughn Martin DT 6'3" 331 Western Ontario (Canada)

Pick Analysis:Martin is a native Canadian who also attended college north of the border. Nobody really knows how good his competition was in college, but he had a great workout at Michigan's pro day. It's ironic that he wound up getting drafted ahead of any Michigan player. He ran a 4.96 at 330 pounds and had 44 bench press reps. He can provide the Chargers with a 5-technique DE and has the bulk to be a nose tackle.

Round 4, Pick 33 (133) (Compensatory selection) Tyronne Green OG 6'2" 309 Auburn

Pick Analysis:Green is a tough guy who was a two-year starter in college. He's a former defensive tackle. He will need to push himself a little harder in the pros and ramp up his work ethic. He'll provide guard depth for the Chargers.

Round 4, Pick 34 (134) (Compensatory selection) Gartrell Johnson RB 5'10" 219 Colorado State

Pick Analysis:Johnson is a strong inside runner. He's a junior-college transfer who came to Colorado State as a tough runner inside the tackles. He had an outstanding bowl game against New Mexico. He's a short-yardage, goal-line rusher who will complement Darren Sproles and LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego.

Round 5, Pick 12 (148) Brandon Hughes CB 5'10" 182 Oregon State

Pick Analysis:The Chargers add a hard-nosed corner with Hughes. The former Beaver is an aggressive corner with the skills to excel as a nickel corner for the team.

Round 6, Pick 16 (189) Kevin Ellison S 6'1" 227 Southern Cal

Pick Analysis:Ellison is a good, solid player who didn't run fast, and that hurt him. But he's still a really smart and instinctive player. Sometimes intelligent players who lack speed are able to read things better, and Ellison is one of those types of players. He works hard and loves the weight room and the film room.

Yes but they havn't addressed there biggest hole. CB/S. I'm befuddled they took a prodding, short FB instead of some defensive backfield help.

I believe this is current. This is the biggest hole?

CB: Quentin Jammer, Antonio Cromartie, Antoine Cason, Cletis Gordon (RFA), Brandon Hughes, DeJuan Tribble

S: Eric Weddle (SS), Clinton Hart (FS), Steve Gregory, Paul Oliver, Kevin Ellison

I believe this is current. This is the biggest hole?

CB: Quentin Jammer, Antonio Cromartie, Antoine Cason, Cletis Gordon (RFA), Brandon Hughes, DeJuan Tribble

S: Eric Weddle (SS), Clinton Hart (FS), Steve Gregory, Paul Oliver, Kevin Ellison

The Chargers are worried that Cromartie may not be the answer after all. Hughes gives added depth.

Eric Weddle is solid but Hart, Gregory, and Oliver are not that good. Ellison is a beast and will push for playing time.

The Chargers have faced the most passes in the last five years and second most last year. The Steelers O-line was able to shut the pass rush down, and that is a bad o-line (though picked it up toward the end of the year a little).

Merriman, because of the uncapped year that is looming, is a Charger for two years. Phillips, Merriman and English will get the pressure that was non-existent last year.

It is a lot easier to cover when the QB has less than three seconds to let the ball go.

On a team where you are drafting mostly for depth, there is a greater need to draft for specific players that may go a little later. Stacking them up is more important for the better teams than looking for starters.

Finding an O-lineman @ RG and another pass-rusher were most important. They got an Inside backer in free agency as well as a serviceable replacement for Goff.

I am an AJ fan, not a hater, so I guess I trust what they are doing. Cotrell's idiocy and Merriman's absence were the greatest reasons for the Chargers problems (plus a slow start to the season of a banged-up team).

They come into the season much healthier and with some depth addressed. Rivera has a whole year to get the defense nasty again, and I think he will. 10-6 to 12-4.

I didn't see the Bolts taking Larry English out of Northern Illinois!!! :wacko:

I don't recall any mock drafts with him in the first round.

I guess A.J. knows what he's doing. :D

yeah, he knows what he's doing cuz he's won HOW many super bowls??? no offense, what have the chargers done latety to show they are headed in the right directions?

yeah, he knows what he's doing cuz he's won HOW many super bowls??? no offense, what have the chargers done latety to show they are headed in the right directions?

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=285084

The GM can only get the players on the team. It's up to the coaches and the players themselves to be prepared on Sundays. AJ has put some good players on the field over the last 5 years.

Guys, I'm not a bolts fan and I thought they did pretty well with their draft. Unless you're Dieon in his prime, you can't cover someone all day. The lack of a pass rush does more to hurt the secondary than anything, and they addressed that. They also addressed the loss of Igor, and got some o-line help. I really think they have a fairly talented secondary, but if you can't put pressure on the QB you WILL get burned, period. If LT is healthy that team looks more like the '07 team than last years.

Guys, I'm not a bolts fan and I thought they did pretty well with their draft. Unless you're Dieon in his prime, you can't cover someone all day. The lack of a pass rush does more to hurt the secondary than anything, and they addressed that. They also addressed the loss of Igor, and got some o-line help. I really think they have a fairly talented secondary, but if you can't put pressure on the QB you WILL get burned, period. If LT is healthy that team looks more like the '07 team than last years.

The needs were addressed. Only time will tell if the quality is there.