[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raven RB's?

mark b

I doubt that Peerman makes the final squad. There were some trade talks involving McGahee, but I don't see it happening. There are some salary issues with him this year and if the Ravens were to cut or trade him, they take a big cap hit. Absent any serious injruies, I see the Ravens RB situation being similar to what it was last year. McLain will carry the load, but Willis will get his touches and Ray Rice will also be a contributor.

Peerman could be a good practice squad guy this year and if one of the 3 RBs get hurt, he could dress. I don't see Willis on the team after the 09 season.

I own Rice in a dynasty and I was really hoping he'd get a shot this year. He seems perfect as an every-down back with McLain in for short-yardage. But having McGahee around really screws things up.

I haven't seen anything (in any of the Ravens regular season or playoff games last year) that indicates that Rice is ready to be an every-down back. He has some upside, but hasn't proven that he has the neccesary grind to be every-down. He had a couple of mishaps (fumbles) and spent a few weeks injured. If anything, I could see Willis getting more of the load this year. Word is that he is working out during the offseason in Baltimore and seems to be taking a different approach with his offseason. In prior years (including when he was in Buffalo) he would spend his offseason in Miami and was somewhat dis-associated with his team and teamates. Not the case this year. In 2008, I think the Ravens coaching staff basically took the position that if Willis wasn't going to be a team player, that he wasn't going to get a majority of touches.

I doubt that Peerman makes the final squad. There were some trade talks involving McGahee, but I don't see it happening. There are some salary issues with him this year and if the Ravens were to cut or trade him, they take a big cap hit. Absent any serious injruies, I see the Ravens RB situation being similar to what it was last year. McLain will carry the load, but Willis will get his touches and Ray Rice will also be a contributor.

Peerman could be a good practice squad guy this year and if one of the 3 RBs get hurt, he could dress. I don't see Willis on the team after the 09 season.

Just speculation on my part, but I pretty much agree with this... They'll all get touches. The difference is that McClain seems to be more durable than both McGahee and Rice. That makes McClain a pretty good bet to get his share (or more) of the touches. Doesn't mean he'll be the #1 guy on depth charts, necessarily, but he may very well produce the best overall numbers, when it's all said and done, as he did last year. If (and it's a big if) McGahee and/or Rice can stay healthy for a full season, McClain's numbers could take a significant hit. I think he'll still get his fair share of the short-yardage/goal-line looks no matter what, but a healthy McGahee or Rice simply means McClain won't have to shoulder as much of the load, causing his yardage and overall touches to drop.

Overall, I'd be a little nervous with him as my #3 back (even if you only need to start 2), but a little less so if it's TD-heavy (relatively less emphasis in yards/receptions), in terms of league scoring. As a #4 or #5 guy, though, I think you would have nothing to lose with him on your roster, and he could quite possibly turn out to be a nice surprise, like last year. On the other hand, if it's a 14- or 16-team league, he's not a bad #3 option, as long as you're #1 and #2 are more "sure things."