[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CIV IV

Kid Cid

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official list of CIV IV

1 - KidCid

2 - MrTed46

3 - LordOpie

4 - Egret

5 - Hugh-mongus

If I miss any 100% participants please let me know. Game is very complex and can take forever to finish. We can set a specific time for it to finish if a winner hasnt been established.

I would like to get in, but I probably need a little more information on the commitment needed, as I am one busy mofo.

OK, so in the process of setting up the game, I managed to hose my personal computer to the point thta I need to rebuild it. Sigh...

That being said, there is a game set up. You can try and get to it by starting CIV IV, Selecting Multiplayer, and then selecting DirectIP. Try to connect to the game at corrundum.net or you can try the IP 68.33.158.120. If you have a personal firewall (e.g. Windows Firewall, Mcafee Personal Firewall, Norton, etc.) or a firewall on your router, you will need to open port 2056 for CIV IV to connect. It is the only port that should have to be opened though.

If you are having troubles, post up any messages here and we'll try to work through them. Nothing is ever easy.

Is this the kind of situation where I can quit the game, and log back in when it's my turn?

I would like to get in, but I probably need a little more information on the commitment needed, as I am one busy mofo.

I think if we can commit to at least 1 round a day we can be ok (hopefully more). 1 round doesnt take 2 much time. Or we can make a time where we can all be on and just knock out a few rounds while BSing to each other. I never played online, always played single player but I am assuming the same rules apply.

I think if we can commit to at least 1 round a day we can be ok (hopefully more). 1 round doesnt take 2 much time. Or we can make a time where we can all be on and just knock out a few rounds while BSing to each other. I never played online, always played single player but I am assuming the same rules apply.

I might have to bow out then. I can't say that I can commit to having available time daily, or to scheduled times.

No worries :wacko:

Yeah, the deal is that you can log in at any point, make your move and then log out. When everyone has made their moves, the computer makes the computations and then supposedly sends out an email that your turn is up again. I may have to add some software to handle the email thing as a lot of people have complained about it not working properly.

Think of it like a slow draft rather than an online draft.

I'm out. Playing with just me and the computer can take six months. :wacko:

Isn't there a way to shorten the time frame (speed things up) so that the game does not take us 6 months?

I'm reasonably certain that it won't take 6 months for me to kill you all. :wacko:

We can play shorter overall game lengths and we can add a move timer, e.g you must make a move with 24 hours or something like that. There are a lot of game options that we should hammer out before we start the game. I'll post a list of them.

BTW, we must all be on the same release patch. In this case, 1.7.4. You can download the patch here:

http://www.corrundum.net/stuff/patch_174.exe

Though I have the expansions, I'm guessing we won't be using those.

No, not everyone will have them (most notably myself.)

I've been able to connect without a problem through my firewall and someone named 10g (I'm guessing 10g_dba?) has also gotten in and claimed a civilization so it looks like we should be good to go.

No, not everyone will have them (most notably myself.)

I've been able to connect without a problem through my firewall and someone named 10g (I'm guessing 10g_dba?) has also gotten in and claimed a civilization so it looks like we should be good to go.

Yes, it was me. I love Civ - play it all the time. Tested the connection - worked great on the first try. Regrettably, I can't commit to playing with y'all cuz of the demands of work and family.

Yes, it was me. I love Civ - play it all the time. Tested the connection - worked great on the first try. Regrettably, I can't commit to playing with y'all cuz of the demands of work and family.

Too bad you can't join. Thanx for the test though. :wacko:

I'm reasonably certain that it won't take 6 months for me to kill you all. :wacko:

We can play shorter overall game lengths and we can add a move timer, e.g you must make a move with 24 hours or something like that. There are a lot of game options that we should hammer out before we start the game. I'll post a list of them.

BTW, we must all be on the same release patch. In this case, 1.7.4. You can download the patch here:

http://www.corrundum.net/stuff/patch_174.exe

I'm installing the patch. Then I've got to find my original Civ IV disk. I'll be on today.

Made my move. Is there a way to have it email us when it's our turn?

Yes, I'm going to put that in today. This is more of a test game to make sure everyone has connectivity., I just set it up with all the defaults. I'm going to post all of the things we'll have to decide upon for the real game very soon. So that means we'll all have to start over.

In addition to the specifics below we can also set the number of players, have some players run by the AI, and have specific starting civilizations for each player.

Game Setup

Map Type - Archipelego, Balanced, Continents, Fantasy Realm, Fractal, Great PLains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Islands, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Shuffle (Random), Team Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis, Wheel

Map Size - Tiny, Small, Standard, Large, Huge

Climate - Temperate, Tropical, Arid, Rocky, Cold

Sea Level - Low, Medium, High

Era - Ancient, Classical, Medievil, Renessance, Industrial, Modern, Future

Speed - Marathon, Epic, Normal, Quick

Multiplayer Options

Simultaneous turns or sequential

Turn Timer, if yes, how long pur turn (in hours)

Game turn limit (total number before the game ends). This is an optional number, game speed above will determin an end if this is not used.

Victory Types

Score is always available plus these others - Time, Conquest, Domination, Cultural, Space Race, Diplomatic

Game Options

The following are check boxes, all are off by default

No City Razing

No City Flipping From Culture

City Flipping After Conquest

No Barbarians

Raging Barbarians

Aggressive AI

Random Personalities

No Technology TRading

Permanent Alliances

Always War

Always Peace

One City Challenge

Permanent War or Peace

New Random Seed on Reload

Lock Modified Assets

Require Complete Kills

Edited by Kid Cid

Is this Civ IV the "vanilla" version or another version like BTS (Beyond the Sword)?

I have Civ IV with the BTS update and I couldnt login. It said we are not on the same version and I did download and install the patch.

Just the vanilla version.

Ugh, I just tried IV and they overdid the graphics and made the IU more complex than it needed to be..

Really? I love IV the most.

I actually started playing again and forgot how much I love it. The BTS add-on adds alot of cool things to the game.

Maybe that is why I can't connect I have the BTS addon installed

Can you step it back to just the vanilla version?

Ugh, I just tried IV and they overdid the graphics and made the IU more complex than it needed to be..

I thought the same things when I first saw it. I'd never go back now. They really did do a fantastic job.

Edited by Kid Cid

Can you step it back to just the vanilla version?

I dont think so as I only have 1 exe file. I will try though.

I will try to uninstall and just put the vanilla version in.

However, if you are a big fan of Civ IV I highly recommend getting BTS sometime in the future.