[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree with the Dems in Congress on This.

Perchoutofwater

I agree with this legislation that was pushed through by the Dems, that Republicans did no want passed. I just wanted to show how moderate I am, and how I'm making an effort to take each piece of legislation on a case by case basis. Agreeing with those I feel are on the correct side of each issue.

Because when I think of Perch . . . all I think of is how moderate he is . . .

:wacko:

I'm actually fairly liberal when you are not taking money out of my pocket to give to someone else. About the only conservative social issue I really support is being pro-life, and that is simply because I have 4 cousins, and 3 nieces, and 5 nephews (at least I think that is the right count) that I would not have had their biological mother decided to abort them instead of giving them up for adoption. On pretty much all the other social issues I fall on the liberal side of the fence or at least ride the fence.

Perch I hear you . .

One of the most important things I learned about the majority of the American people when I was getting my degree in Political Science and working for a congressman in DC back in the day is that MOST Americans are liberal when it comes to social issues and MOST Americans are very conservative when it comes to their pocketbooks.

The blurry line between the two is the division of political parties.

Perch I hear you . .

One of the most important things I learned about the majority of the American people when I was getting my degree in Political Science and working for a congressman in DC back in the day is that MOST Americans are liberal when it comes to social issues and MOST Americans are very conservative when it comes to their pocketbooks.

The blurry line between the two is the division of political parties.

and most young people are liberal. when you get older and have a family, you become more conservative in my experience.

I've got a minor in Political Science. Biggest waste of money I ever spent.

If I decided to go to law school it would have been very helpful.

I think the age issue is overly simplistic and overblown. If by "older means more conservative" you mean FISCALLY conservative, I can understand that once you begin to amass more possessions and climb the salary ladder.

I have always been against abortion, and that hasnt changed over the years, nor was I an abortion supporter in my youth. That sure didnt change with age.

As I have made more $$ I have considered it my social obligation to become MORE involved in charities, particularly through my church, because I have been blessed with more than the average joe.

If I decided to go to law school it would have been very helpful.

I went to law school...it wasn't helpful. But I shared your thinking at the time and that's why I minored in it.

If I had it to do all over again, I would take all the business classes I could.

As I have made more $$ I have considered it my social obligation to become MORE involved in charities, particularly through my church, because I have been blessed with more than the average joe.

and conservatives, as a group, donate more to charity than liberals. so if anything, this point of yours bolsters the "more conservative with age" argument, rather than negates it.

You are kidding . . right?

not at all.

edit to add: link

A clue may be found in the 1996 General Social Survey, which asked Americans whether they agreed that "the government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality." People who "disagreed strongly" with that statement gave 12 times more money to charity per year than those who "agreed strongly" with the statement.

very interesting, but it actually makes a ton of sense if you're not hung up on the "conservatives are greedy" myth.

Edited by Azazello1313

I'm actually fairly liberal when you are not taking money out of my pocket to give to someone else. About the only conservative social issue I really support is being pro-life, and that is simply because I have 4 cousins, and 3 nieces, and 5 nephews (at least I think that is the right count) that I would not have had their biological mother decided to abort them instead of giving them up for adoption. On pretty much all the other social issues I fall on the liberal side of the fence or at least ride the fence.

gun control?

not at all.

edit to add: link

very interesting, but it actually makes a ton of sense if you're not hung up on the "conservatives are greedy" myth.

Opposing viewpoint:

Many commentators thought that Brooks played up the role of religion too much, arguing that a charity gap is largely erased when religious giving is not considered. Eugene Volokh writes, "Although the liberal v. conservative split is the hook for the book, the data are not nearly as stark as the hype surrounding the book might indicate." Others have commented that Brooks goes beyond his data. According to Beliefnet, "Brooks says he started the book as an academic treatise, then tightened the documentation and punched up the prose when his colleagues and editor convinced him it would sell better and generate more discussion if he did. To make his point forcefully, Brooks admits he cut out a lot of qualifying information."

Later that year, Brooks joined the American Enterprise Institute (Conservative Think Tank) as a visiting scholar.

Then he pubished a book arguing that Conservatives were happier than liberals. I'd like to see that poll again with Perch moping all over the place posting 20 outraged threads an hour. Funny how things change.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Then he pubished a book arguing that Conservatives were happier than liberals. I'd like to see that poll again with Perch moping all over the place posting 20 outraged threads an hour. Funny how things change.

I'd say with certainty that conservatives are more afraid than liberals. Whatever happens, there always seems to be some cataclysmic event on the horizon that they spend all their time worrying about - Reds under the beds, communist dominoes, Russia, terrorist armageddon, being trampled to death by illegal immigrants, economic collapse, Cuba as hemisphere heavyweight, etc, etc, etc.

I wonder if they secretly long for their End Days to come just so - for the one and only time - they can crow about how right they were.