[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Indexing a word doc

polksalet

Aight, I'm nearly done with this book I've written this semester. Ive got a couple of more pages and then I have to create an index. I have never created an index before and I need to figure out how best to go about this. I know Word will do this but since it is a MS function its probably tedious and a pain in the Romo. Any ideas about the best way to go about this?

Edited by polksalet

Use the table of contents feature? Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

From Word help menu

The easiest way to create a table of contents is to use the built-in outline-level formats or heading styles. If you are already using outline-level formats or built-in heading styles, follow these steps:

Click where you want to insert the table of contents.

On the Insert menu, point to Reference, and click Index and Tables.

Click the Table of Contents tab.

To use one of the available designs, click a design in the Formats box.

Select any other table of contents options you want.

One really novel solution to this is to open Word, click on Microsoft Word Help, then type "index" in the search box. From the 19 displayed entries, I guess "Create An Index" would be a good starting point.

One really novel solution to this is to open Word, click on Microsoft Word Help, then type "index" in the search box. From the 19 displayed entries, I guess "Create An Index" would be a good starting point.

Yeah, I find MS products to work correctly. :wacko::D

They work fine for normal people. Creating an index is easy.

I have no index but hundreds of thousands of odd characters on my screen. How do i get rid of them?

I have no index but hundreds of thousands of odd characters on my screen. How do i get rid of them?

Highlight...delete.

50 pages

Right click...select all...delete?