[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mark Cuban, Please Buy The Brewers

Men In Tights

I am a lifelong Milwaukee Brewer fan and fondly remember the days of Molitor, Yount, and Gantner to name a few. Now we are given empty promises by a used car salesman each and every year (even though he is technically the commish, he is still involved with the Brewers). If you are going to read anything, please read the very bottom...

Some of the empty prmoises...We can't compete with the revenue we get from County Stadium. We are using the Cleveland Indians plans for a winner, so build us a stadium and we will put a "competitive" team on the field. 2-years after Miller Park is built we will be a contender. Now we are building our farm system, it will take time to win, but we are going to slash our payroll. I could go on and on...

Bud Selig sold the state of WI, with a lot of help, on the "monorail"--hopefully you watch the Simpsons. I was and still am all for Miller Park, but it was done all wrong (can explain if you really want me too). A moronic owner+small market=failure. A smart owner+small market can=success.

I want Mark Cuban to buy the Brewers. Not because he has a ton of money (although that will help), but he wants a winner at all costs and that is exactly what the Brewers need. The Brewers need someone that doesn't just want to be competitive, but someone that wants to win. If anyone knows Mark Cuban, please send this plea and let him know the state of WI would fill Miller Park if we had a contending team to cheer for.

Originally posted by Men In Tights:

I am a lifelong Milwaukee Brewer fan and fondly remember the days of Molitor, Yount, and Gantner to name a few.

I was in my soph. year of college in LaCrosse in '82 when Harveys' wallbangers made the cover of SI. It was titled "Murderers Row". I believe it was one of the very few if not only time ever that a team had 200 hits from the top 3 hitters in the line-up. what a lineup they had........

Molitor

Yount

Cooper

Oglivie

Thomas

Simmons

Money

Gantner

.... I'm missing some. Caldwell,Sorenson on the mound with Rollie com'in outta the pen.

Willie McGee singled-handedly killed them in the series. Brewers win game 1 in St. Louis 10-0.... Molitor had 5 hits... Yount had 4. eek!

All I remember is Willie McGee go'in yard from both sides of the plate @ County Stadium in game 3,4 or 5... leading the Cards to victory. Still hurts to this day. :mad:

Squeegiebo:

Or, better yet, the Penguins.  Or both.

Dude is from the 'Burgh.  He should help his hometown teams become competitive again.  cool_thu 

I'd rather watch the Penguins suck than have that turd burglar involved with the organisation.

Oh, ye of little faith.

Yeah, Bud sold us a bill of goods on the stadium - BUT with all the accolade their farm system is getting (got the Topps Organization award (which sounds lame, but I guess it's legit)), Baseball America ranked Milwaukee's minor leagues #1 in the majors, and this week's Sporting News ranks the "infield of the future" (1B Fielder, 2B Weeks, 3B Hart) among the top 25 prospects. I'd be shocked if at least one or two of them didn't have a cup of coffee in September.

And no one outside of Milwaukee believes me, but even as somewhat of an outsider (I've only been here for 7 yrs), I can say that this town is a sleeping giant when it comes to baseball. Yeah, everyone here loves the Badgers and Marquette (well, OK, lots of people hate Marquette) and the Bucks and the Packers, but if the Brewers start to win and get into a playoff race, never mind making the playoffs, they will be THE topic in town.

The Brewers have the right baseball people in place - Melvin is a proven GM, Yost wrung more wins out of the roster last year than anyone had a right to expect, and the success in the minor leagues speaks for the execs down there - it's just a matter of getting the players up here.

Chavez...I agree with you about the prospects, but what worries me is them playing for 3-years and going to greener pastures. We need an owner that will put up, and not give us empty promises each and every year. I am looking forward to seeing Fielder, Weeks, Gwynn Jr, Hart, etc... play in the bigs though, but as stated above, I hope it doesn't come down to management having to pick between 2-players because we can't afford both. ie Sexson-Jenkins.

You are right about the baseball fans in Milwaukee/WI, if the Brewers start winning the fans will come. It may take some time because a lot of us are very skeptical right now, but a new ownership group would really alleviate that.

I think Dean Taylor deserves some credit for the minor league system, he did a great job with that, and I don't believe he wanted to sign Jeffrey Hammonds (lopes).

I am looking forward to opening day. How can you beat a 40-degree cloudy day, with a chance for rain/snow showers with 10-15mph wind. I don't know the forecast, but that seems to be the norm.

Men In Tights

Chavez...I agree with you about the prospects, but what worries me is them playing for 3-years and going to greener pastures. We need an owner that will put up, and not give us empty promises each and every year.

Well, one of the brass (Melvin maybe?) was quoted in the Urinal-Sentinel as saying that it would be nice to have 10-15 million more to spend, but realistically at this point in time, how much good is that really going to do? They need to assess what they have, bring up the prospects, and hopefully that will give them a base to start filling holes from.

Once the team gets its debt service paid down it will probably help immensely as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked over the schedule, and considering they started the season on the road vs "contenders" (at least in everyone's preseason opinion) in Houston, St Louis, and San Fran, if they can finish their 23 games in April anywhere near .500 (10-13 or better), I'd say that's a **** good month. Brewers stand at 6-6 right now, FAR better than probably anyone thought they would be.

H-1:

Squeegiebo:

Or, better yet, the Penguins.  Or both.

Dude is from the 'Burgh.  He should help his hometown teams become competitive again.      cool_thu

I'd rather watch the Penguins suck than have that turd burglar involved with the organisation. My sentiments exactly, he's a whining craphead.