[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little motorcycle chat

SheikYerbuti

So my motorcycle battery is dead and I needed to get the bike home from about 10 miles away. No prob, just jump start it and let the alternator self charge it for the 10 mile drive . . .then when I get home put it on the trickle charger and see how long it'll hold a charge. If it won't hold a charge, I'll just get a new battery.

Well, after getting a jump, I stalled twice on the way home. Why didn't the alternator self charge the battery long enough to get me home? Should I bother trying to keep this battery alive or just scrap it and get a new one? Is something wrong with my entire electrical system?

And how long does the average battery last? I've had mine for 2 years, but have been pretty bad about taking care of it. I've let it sit idle for weeks at a time without a charge.

Couple things. Self charging takes a while, maybe that's one problem, or maybe it's not self charging, another issue. Put it on the trickle charger and see what happens. If she doesn't hold a charge, get a new battery. If she does, don't get a new battery, ride, and see if you still have other problems.

I just got a new one for my bike, one of those gel batteries, longer life, maintenance free, better for motorcycles because they absorb vibration better. Even has a 3 year warranty compared to 1 year for normal batteries.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Check the connections; especially on the battery. Make sure they are very tight. This is a common culprit.

I got 6 yrs. out of my last gel pac battery , 2 yrs. seems light even for a lead acid.

+1, but I've seen them not even last a year if someone lets it sit a couple months without starting. Where I live now it's no biggie, as I can generally ride with no more than a week or so between even in winter. Up in WV, not so much. I'd get it somewhere I could put it on a diagnosing charger and check the electrical system. IIRC, you have an early '80's Kaw, and the electrics in any bike (especially the rectifiers) weren't the greatest (even in Japanese bikes) until the late 80's, early 90's.

IIRC, you have an early '80's Kaw,

:wacko: Good memory.

I put it on the trickle charger over 15 hours ago and it's still not registering 80% charged. That was one flatlined battery. Saw a replacement Scorpion gel battery online for $55 shipping included, so I'm probably going to just go with that and not chance it. I really treated the last battery like crap, letting it go long stretches without a charge.

IIRC, you have an early '80's Kaw, and the electrics in any bike (especially the rectifiers) weren't the greatest (even in Japanese bikes) until the late 80's, early 90's.

What westvirginia said. I remember way back when and I had to put a Stator in my 77 KZ900. I went crazy trying to figure out why the thing would not hold a charge back in those days.