[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper Help: Andre Johnson or Kevin Smith?

The Wolf

My local is a 12 team auction. We have the ability to keep one player from the prior year, simply paying what his auction cost was, plus $5. Budget is $300.

We do a modified PPR, so that WR and TE ONLY receive .5. Aside from that, 1 pt/10 yards rush/rec, and 6 pt TD's. Again, RB's do not get PPR.

We start 1 each at QB, K and DEF. TE is not mandatory. Can play 1 RB and 4 Receivers, 2 RB with 3 Receivers, and 3 RB with 2 Receivers.

Andre Johnson would cost $75. Kevin Smith, $12. My thoughts are that AJ would go for around the same with this group, while Kevin Smith would command more than $12.

Thoughts?

Johnson will be a big addition to any team in a ppr league. He was a beast last season. $72 of $300 seems like a lot for 1 player to me though. Smith isn't the sexy pick but for $12 may be the value pick. But def try to pick up Johnson for cheaper. Is there any way to offer trades on him just to feel out how others value him?

As much as I like AJ, I don't think I could justify spending 25% of my cap on him, even with the PPR scoring rules and flexible lineups taken into consideration>

I think I prefer holding on to Smith and then if the auction flows such that you can reacquire Johnson, so be it, if not, you have much more flexibility with your cap space to bid as you see fit to build a strong team.

Agree 100%

Me too. I am a huge AJ fan and think he will have a great year, but that is a lot of money to spend for him. I think you can get him for less.

Johnson will be a big addition to any team in a ppr league. He was a beast last season. $72 of $300 seems like a lot for 1 player to me though. Smith isn't the sexy pick but for $12 may be the value pick. But def try to pick up Johnson for cheaper. Is there any way to offer trades on him just to feel out how others value him?

Hey TN...I can trade AJ. Although we can keep only one, we are able to utilize our whole roster in the off season. I can swap AJ for a better keeper or, most likely, for auction dollars. As he is $75 to keep, though, I may only get about $10 auction bucks for him. If that's the case, I'd rather not trade him and have a chance to win him back at the auction. Make sense?

Of course, the case can be made that I've taken an $85 bite out of a felow owner even before the auction has begun... :wacko:

Of course, the case can be made that I've taken an $85 bite out of a felow owner even before the auction has begun... :wacko:

This was my initial thought... and, in addition to that, you have also added whomever he would have been keeping to the auction pool.

Update...I've been offered Matt Forte for $62 (very reasonable) and the Megatron owner (keeping Fitz) made an offer, though not yet firm, for $43.

If I take either of these two deals, I can still try and move AJ (unlikely) and Kevin Smith to recoup some auction bucks. In the auction, Forte will likely go in the upper $90 range while Megatron will be in the mid $70 range. Remember....5 PPR for WR's and TE's only...not RB's.

Edited by The Wolf

I like getting Forte at $62, but still, Smith for $12 is a spectacular value.

IMO, that decision comes down to your philosophy. Lock up an upper echelon player at a good value but reduce your maneuverability in the auction, or lock up a 2nd tier player at a great value and keep maximum maneuverability in your auction.

Not knowing the quirks of your league and what other RBs may be out there to bid on, I think I would lean towards getting Forte (what do you give up for him), and try my hardest to deal AJ. I wouldn't deal Smith, as IMO, you are giving him away at a value price, so your gain is minimal (unless you can get a solid number of dollars for him) and rather you can let him go for much more in the auction and take a bigger sting out of someone.

I like getting Forte at $62, but still, Smith for $12 is a spectacular value.

IMO, that decision comes down to your philosophy. Lock up an upper echelon player at a good value but reduce your maneuverability in the auction, or lock up a 2nd tier player at a great value and keep maximum maneuverability in your auction.

Not knowing the quirks of your league and what other RBs may be out there to bid on, I think I would lean towards getting Forte (what do you give up for him), and try my hardest to deal AJ. I wouldn't deal Smith, as IMO, you are giving him away at a value price, so your gain is minimal (unless you can get a solid number of dollars for him) and rather you can let him go for much more in the auction and take a bigger sting out of someone.

I can only keep one player, so if I deal for Forte or Megatron, or just sit tight and keep Kevin Smith, I keep no one else. Trying to trade AJ is proving difficult, as no one wants to give up $80 for him. If I deal for Forte or Megatron, I will definitely try to send Kevin Smith somewhere.

I am torn because I'd really like to have those two guys on my team and know they are going for below their value. At the same time, with RB's not getting PPR, I am wondering whether Forte is the right guy. Keeping Smith for $12 means I can still spend $130 total on two top level WR's and $100 on a top level RB. That would leave me with $58 to spend on the remaining ten spots on my roster. Figure $1 apiece for a K, D, another WR and another RB, and I have $54 left on my last 6 spots. Maybe $12 on two QB's (I love value QB's...), and I have $42 left to spend on four more WR's/RB's...

Thoughts? Poke some holes in there...as you can tell, I am really torn.

I can only keep one player, so if I deal for Forte or Megatron, or just sit tight and keep Kevin Smith, I keep no one else. Trying to trade AJ is proving difficult, as no one wants to give up $80 for him. If I deal for Forte or Megatron, I will definitely try to send Kevin Smith somewhere.

I am torn because I'd really like to have those two guys on my team and know they are going for below their value. At the same time, with RB's not getting PPR, I am wondering whether Forte is the right guy. Keeping Smith for $12 means I can still spend $130 total on two top level WR's and $100 on a top level RB. That would leave me with $58 to spend on the remaining ten spots on my roster. Figure $1 apiece for a K, D, another WR and another RB, and I have $54 left on my last 6 spots. Maybe $12 on two QB's (I love value QB's...), and I have $42 left to spend on four more WR's/RB's...

Thoughts? Poke some holes in there...as you can tell, I am really torn.

I think this makes the most sense. Forte just isnt worth it in non PPR IMO.

Covere a lot of this in my text with you, but IMO it comes down to:

What players will be available in the auction.

How much the other teams are spending on their keepers.

If most teams are going to keep a relatively expensive player, then I would be all over keeping Smith at great value and then being able to snipe players in the draft by having a larger available budget. It also gives you more flexibility in spending.

As I said also, if you decide to keep someone other than Smith, then I would NOT trade him unless I was receiving some serious cash to offset the cost of my keeper. I'm not big on giving other owners that good of value unless it really helps me, otherwise, I'd rather toss him back in the auction pool and let him go at market value.