[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shot a 72 on Saturday

Cyclones

So I played 54 holes this weekend at 2 different courses. 36 at University Club of Kentucky on Friday and 18 at The Bull at Boone's Trace on Saturday. Typically at the Bull, I shoot between 74 and 78 (with my best round there being a 72.) It has 2 easily reachable par fives and 3 drivable par fours if you cut corners and get a little lucky (if you can hit the ball 290ish the right direction, you're looking at a short chip to the green.) So, there are alot of easy birdie opportunities out there. I shot an uneventful 36 on the front with 2 birdies and 2 bogeys. On the back, the magic started. Opened up birdie-birdie-birdie-par-birdie to get it to 4 under. Then, disaster. The 16th green is a two level green with a large hill cutting across the middle. The hole on Saturday was cut like 2 inches from the top of the slope. I left my approach on the low portion, about 15 feet short. My birdie putt came up 6 inches short and I stood there as the ball rolled 5 feet past where I started. I gathered myself, set up again, and did the same thing. My bogey putt went 5 feet past and I made the comebacker for a 6. I made par at 17, so I came to 18 needing a par for a 2 under 70. So what do I do? Snap hook my drive into the trees, hit a low screamer over the green under another tree, chip the ball off the front and three putt from the fringe for another 6. In other words, the worst 72 of my life. Now I know how Ricky Barnes feels :wacko:

So I played 54 holes this weekend at 2 different courses. 36 at University Club of Kentucky on Friday and 18 at The Bull at Boone's Trace on Saturday. Typically at the Bull, I shoot between 74 and 78 (with my best round there being a 72.) It has 2 easily reachable par fives and 3 drivable par fours if you cut corners and get a little lucky (if you can hit the ball 290ish the right direction, you're looking at a short chip to the green.) So, there are alot of easy birdie opportunities out there. I shot an uneventful 36 on the front with 2 birdies and 2 bogeys. On the back, the magic started. Opened up birdie-birdie-birdie-par-birdie to get it to 4 under. Then, disaster. The 16th green is a two level green with a large hill cutting across the middle. The hole on Saturday was cut like 2 inches from the top of the slope. I left my approach on the low portion, about 15 feet short. My birdie putt came up 6 inches short and I stood there as the ball rolled 5 feet past where I started. I gathered myself, set up again, and did the same thing. My bogey putt went 5 feet past and I made the comebacker for a 6. I made par at 17, so I came to 18 needing a par for a 2 under 70. So what do I do? Snap hook my drive into the trees, hit a low screamer over the green under another tree, chip the ball off the front and three putt from the fringe for another 6. In other words, the worst 72 of my life. Now I know how Ricky Barnes feels :D

Nice round, but I have no sympathy for you. :wacko:

My best ever is an 80.

I feel for ya. There's just something disheartening about having a great round suddenly come apart on you.

So I played 54 holes this weekend at 2 different courses. 36 at University Club of Kentucky on Friday and 18 at The Bull at Boone's Trace on Saturday. Typically at the Bull, I shoot between 74 and 78 (with my best round there being a 72.) It has 2 easily reachable par fives and 3 drivable par fours if you cut corners and get a little lucky (if you can hit the ball 290ish the right direction, you're looking at a short chip to the green.) So, there are alot of easy birdie opportunities out there. I shot an uneventful 36 on the front with 2 birdies and 2 bogeys. On the back, the magic started. Opened up birdie-birdie-birdie-par-birdie to get it to 4 under. Then, disaster. The 16th green is a two level green with a large hill cutting across the middle. The hole on Saturday was cut like 2 inches from the top of the slope. I left my approach on the low portion, about 15 feet short. My birdie putt came up 6 inches short and I stood there as the ball rolled 5 feet past where I started. I gathered myself, set up again, and did the same thing. My bogey putt went 5 feet past and I made the comebacker for a 6. I made par at 17, so I came to 18 needing a par for a 2 under 70. So what do I do? Snap hook my drive into the trees, hit a low screamer over the green under another tree, chip the ball off the front and three putt from the fringe for another 6. In other words, the worst 72 of my life. Now I know how Ricky Barnes feels :D

You started thinking about your score. :D

I've done this numerous times, where I will come to the 18th, look at my card, and say: "If I just bogey this hole I'll get a 79."

Screws me over every time. :wacko:

The particular round never seems to get me, but when I start to press to hold my hdcp or improve it, I go the other way it seems. I'm playing to a 7 right now and I'm concentrating on just staying in the moment....playing it hole by hole etc. The saying that golf is 90% mental is very true for me, as I've crafted a very repeatible swing and all phases are clicking right now, so my troubles come when I start to press my game, as it never works out when I do. Still a 72 is a very excellent golf score-congrtas on that, as I've carded a 74 (twice) for my low round.

The particular round never seems to get me, but when I start to press to hold my hdcp or improve it, I go the other way it seems. I'm playing to a 7 right now and I'm concentrating on just staying in the moment....playing it hole by hole etc. The saying that golf is 90% mental is very true for me, as I've crafted a very repeatible swing and all phases are clicking right now, so my troubles come when I start to press my game, as it never works out when I do. Still a 72 is a very excellent golf score-congrtas on that, as I've carded a 74 (twice) for my low round.

Yeah, I do the same thing sometimes. The 6 on 16 was a total fluke (and frankly my playing partners commented on how stupid the pin placement was) but on 18 I tried to press and swung too hard at my drive leading to the snap hook.

I can relate to this experience .... my best round was at a public track in Covington, Washington two years ago. I was 2 under going into #18 and hooked my tee shot out of bounds then hit another drive against the trunk of a tree where I had to just pitch back into the fairway, ended up with a triple 7 and a 1 over 71. A great round but the ride home would have been a lot better had I took my 2 iron out on the 18th tee box like I had contemplated. :wacko: