[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bleaching wood before staining ?

isleseeya

Ok so I lucked out and got a free hot tub from my sister in law ...its a few years old and the wood on the outside of it is pretty beat up ... Plan was to sand it down and then stain it ...two friends of mine recommended bleaching the wood after I sand it and before I stain it ... Any comments or ideas on the benefit of bleaching it or should I just stain it after I sand it ?

TIA

I'm not super knowledgeable on woodworking so take this with a grain of salt. :wacko:

I'm guessing the idea behind bleaching the wood is to lighten up the color so that it will take the stain better. I think that it would depend entirely upon a lot of factors including what type of wood it is, what type of grain is in teh wood pattern, what color stain you want to use and finally what is the finished look you're going for. I'd hit up some woodworking web sites to see if any of what I said rings true.

i just deal with new wood isle....only person ta trust on this subject is Bunz or a Paint store Guru not flunky.....don't get stain on the hammock, that i know doesn't come out :wacko:

:D

i ended up just bleaching it slightly ...tomorrow i stain it :D

:D

i ended up just bleaching it slightly ...tomorrow i stain it :wacko:

That sounds like the result from using household bleach - just a slight lightening. Pool chlorine will be only slightly better.

From my limited experience, if you want to really lighten it, you have to get stain stripper from a hardware store. ... Rubber gloves, steal wool, messy job.

:wacko: did not know that .... nice ta have a brack up when Bunz is on FFB sabbatical :D

I will be on sabbatical for a while here......but not for reasons you think. :D

Really.....the only reason to bleach wood is if the original stain color is WAY off the color you eventually want it. Stain, unlike paint, is a penetrating finish. Just stripping or sanding only deals with the surface. So if you inherited say, a redwood stained piece of wood, and wanted it to look more like natural oak, you'll never eradicate the dark original stain color deep in the wood by sanding or stripping. Hence the bleach.

There are specific wood bleaching products available......don't use regular bleach......lol. Now.....you could just strip and sand it and work with the color left, augmenting it with another color stain. You'll get a combination of the two as a final color. I did this with my floors.....they were a medium sort of gunstock oak color...after sanding I used a red oak finish to get them closer to a cherry look.

There's another possibility here. If the hottub is LINED with wood on the interior, maybe your friends were suggesting bleach to disinfect the hottub......lol. In that case it has nothing to do with stain color. :D

I will be on sabbatical for a while here......but not for reasons you think. :D

Really.....the only reason to bleach wood is if the original stain color is WAY off the color you eventually want it. Stain, unlike paint, is a penetrating finish. Just stripping or sanding only deals with the surface. So if you inherited say, a redwood stained piece of wood, and wanted it to look more like natural oak, you'll never eradicate the dark original stain color deep in the wood by sanding or stripping. Hence the bleach.

There are specific wood bleaching products available......don't use regular bleach......lol. Now.....you could just strip and sand it and work with the color left, augmenting it with another color stain. You'll get a combination of the two as a final color. I did this with my floors.....they were a medium sort of gunstock oak color...after sanding I used a red oak finish to get them closer to a cherry look.

There's another possibility here. If the hottub is LINED with wood on the interior, maybe your friends were suggesting bleach to disinfect the hottub......lol. In that case it has nothing to do with stain color. :wacko:

Thanks ..i bleached wood on the outside after i sanded it ..and it came out good ...now it looks real nice after first coat of stain

thanks all for their advice as well :D