[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surge Protector < $50

Savage Beatings

Any recommendations on a surge protector for a home PC for around or under $50?

Yes, I've learned my lesson the hard way... my PC got fried because I was using a cheap surge protector without any kind of indicator light to let me know if it was still working correctly or not. It was still working as a power strip, but the protection had failed.

This time I want a better protector for my soon-to-be new home PC, but I still don't want to break the bank for something like this. Any thoughts on a good brand or certain features that I should not skimp on?

Do you live in a place where lightning strikes are likely? If not, then any surge protector from home depot (or any place) will do. If you want the best protection what LordOpie suggested is the best, or even take a step further and get a voltage regulator + UPS.

I don't use any of the above except a generic surge protector and I am fine. I worry about surges coming from my electrical company moreso than I am with lightning strikes (NYC) so anything above 700 joules works for me.

Any recommendations on a surge protector for a home PC for around or under $50?

Yes, I've learned my lesson the hard way... my PC got fried because I was using a cheap surge protector without any kind of indicator light to let me know if it was still working correctly or not. It was still working as a power strip, but the protection had failed.

This time I want a better protector for my soon-to-be new home PC, but I still don't want to break the bank for something like this. Any thoughts on a good brand or certain features that I should not skimp on?

Also, are you sure your computer died because of a surge?

Also, are you sure your computer died because of a surge?

Unfortunately we were not home when it happened. We were out of town, so I'm not entirely sure. But my monitor is completely dead, and the Hard Drive no longer works (although it does still spin up). I haven't taken it to try to recover the data yet, but I will soon.

Unfortunately we were not home when it happened. We were out of town, so I'm not entirely sure. But my monitor is completely dead, and the Hard Drive no longer works (although it does still spin up). I haven't taken it to try to recover the data yet, but I will soon.

Did anything else that uses electricity in the house "die" ?

Low power, i.e. brown outs, can be more of a problem than surges. That's why LO's suggestion of an APC is probably a better idea. Your clocks blinking tells me that you either lost power completely or it got low enough for the clocks to think you lost it. That's not a spike.

Make sure you register it and save your receipt. Had a client get a claim denied from the manufacturer because of this.

Good info here ^

Many surge protectors will tell you how much $ worth of equipment they will replace if its damaged while plugged in, but you have to make sure to register it all properly or they'll likely tell you there's nothing they can do for ya.

I'd buy a good one. You get what you pay for and I know people that couldn't understand why the crappy surge protector failed to save their TV

Unless you live in the mid-west or areas with high lightning strikes, expensive surge protectors are a waste of money. Even a GOOD surge protector will fry with a direct lightning strike. The main reason I get surge protectors is to protect myself from my electric company surges and those SHOULD be way below 750 joules. I did some research in all of this not too long ago and this was my conclusion.

Volt regulators and UPS is the way to go if you want to protect yourself.

Am I limiting myself too much by looking for one around the $50 mark, or would I have to spend more to get a decent one?

Jimminy Christmas! :wacko:

I would NOT spend $50 on just a surge protector and I believe your problem was not a surge rather a brown out or power drop which caused your HD and Monitor to die. A surge protector would not have helped if this did indeed occur.

I have ALOT of electronics in my house, and they are ALL protected by surge protectors made by Belkin or Levitron build in surge outlet (for cosmetics) and I can sleep at night. Besides Belkin also offers some gurantee that if your system goes on a surge they will give you $, but I bet you that a surge did not occur.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F9A600fc06-6-...587&sr=8-15

Another thing to consider, you can protect against a surge in your power line but a surge can come in through any outside line, such as telephone, internet, coax/video. If you TRULY want to protect yourself from surges, you have to put protection on all of the above. If you don't (and many of us don't), how many times did your cable modem die or your TV or your telephone? Prob not many times, so excessive surge protectors arent the answer.

And, as I mentioned above, you can have a expensive Monster surge protector that has high amount of joules and 1 direct lightning strike may surpass that anyhow.

Edited by MrTed46

I would NOT spend $50 on just a surge protector and I believe your problem was not a surge rather a brown out or power drop which caused your HD and Monitor to die. A surge protector would not have helped if this did indeed occur.

But if I had one with UPS (some kind of battery backup) that would have saved it, is that correct?

But if I had one with UPS (some kind of battery backup) that would have saved it, is that correct?

Yes, or any Automatic Voltage Regulation system not necessarily a UPS. The APC H15 or H10 are excellent units.

Not 100% BTW, but it helps ALOT.

Edited by MrTed46

FWIW, I have a power conditioner for my Home Theater gear to protect against things like this. However, that little gem runs $500+ and may be overkill for what you want it for. Mr Ted's suggestions are good ones.

1500volt amps is excessive for just a home PC. A 350 volt-amp such as the APC Back-UPS ES 350 (~$40-$50)would be enough for momentary brownouts and surge protection. It won't run the PC for very long but it will still provide undervoltage protection.

Unless you live in the mid-west or areas with high lightning strikes, expensive surge protectors are a waste of money. Even a GOOD surge protector will fry with a direct lightning strike. The main reason I get surge protectors is to protect myself from my electric company surges and those SHOULD be way below 750 joules. I did some research in all of this not too long ago and this was my conclusion.

Agree w/all of this. Probably even $50 will be overkill.

I don't get how a power loss would break a PC and/or monitor though-? Or are you guys saying the PC just died or for other reasons?

Agree w/all of this. Probably even $50 will be overkill.

I don't get how a power loss would break a PC and/or monitor though-? Or are you guys saying the PC just died or for other reasons?

I think a complete power loss would be better than power spiking all over the place which is probably what happened. If you notice lights dimming for no reason or when you turn on/plug in something like an AC, I suggest you get voltage regulators + UPS if you want to protect equipment.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! :wacko:

no problem, that h10 unit is a STEAL at 80 bucks. It is so much lower than the black version because the silver was discontinued as many home theatre component are made in black now. You can also paint them black in case you want to, here is a tutorial on how to (h15 version but same thing) http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4...mp;postcount=83

no problem, that h10 unit is a STEAL at 80 bucks. It is so much lower than the black version because the silver was discontinued as many home theatre component are made in black now. You can also paint them black in case you want to, here is a tutorial on how to (h15 version but same thing) http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4...mp;postcount=83

I could use that one for a computer, printer, speakers, monitor and cable modem right?