[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Davis Sleeper Status

Rocko75

Can someone explain to me why James Davis is considered a sleeper by 3 of the staff in the sleepers column. He is sitting behind Lewis and Harrison, why is everyone so high on him? Thanks alot!

Always nice to see noobs capble of answering their own questions...

Well done. :wacko:

Can someone explain to me why James Davis is considered a sleeper by 3 of the staff in the sleepers column. He is sitting behind Lewis and Harrison, why is everyone so high on him? Thanks alot!

According to Webster's Dictionary, sleeper is defined as follows:

"A player is considered a sleeper if he is at least third on a depth chart of their team."

In all seriousness, look at the top two RB's on any team. Players know all about those guys. In most cases, those players are drafted. A true sleeper is not really one that players are accounting for as being able to contribute right away. Either thru luck or some incredible football acumen, the winning FFers identify those players.

I'd also say that the term "sleeper" varies depending on the league. James Davis may not be drafted or highly regarded in a redraft, but in a dynasty (where I took him), he tends to have more value and thus becomes less of a sleeper.

Make sense or am I speaking out of my arse?

What makes Davis a good sleeper is: 1) He has NFL featured RB potential, and 2) He has potential opportunity.

Note the key word: Potential. It's the word most FFers will focus on when they try to put the possibilities to rest, but if a player is a true sleeper, all you really have to go on is potential. If he were a proven NFL featured RB and he was being handed an opportunity like a first rounder would be, he wouldn't be a sleeper.

That said, let's look at Davis. If he would have entered the draft last year, there was a very real possibility that he would have been a late first to mid second round selection. Because he decided to stay in school, he really damaged his draft prospects. Why did that happen? Because Clemson's O-line suffered some real setbacks from the previous year to last year, and all their skill players took a significant hit.

But Davis runs hard and is the same size as a lot of outstanding RBs at the pro level. 5'-11" and 218 lbs is just about perfect for RBs in that they aren't so big that they tend to run upright or lack speed, but they have enough mass to absorb a lot of punishment. He is a very good one-cut RB. he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but he has a good skill set across the board - he is more than capable inside & outside, will willingly block, and has solid but not outstanding receiving skills. So why did he last until Rd. 6? This year's draft was odd, with some real quality RBs sliding until later in the draft. There seems to be more RBs in the league who are competent runners than I can remember in a while, so very few teams feel a need to restock the position when they can get bargains later and use earlier picks at other positions. So he has NFL potential in that he has shown he can play well against very good competiton at the college level, and he has solid but not spectacular credentials across the board in everything you would ask a NFL RB to do.

The opportunity? Well, he's behind a 30 yr old Jamal Lewis, who has a lot of miles on his chassis because of the number of carries he has accumulated and the way he runs. No one ever called Lewis elusive - he's a masher and takes a lot of punishment. At 240 lbs he can do it, but it takes its toll. He's had 9 years in the league if you count his missing 2001, and that's a long stay for any NFL RB. Harrison? He's a smurf who will never have enough size or talent to carry a full load. His upside is a complementary RB, no more. So that leaves Davis, and so far he has been getting very good reviews in camp.

Lewis will start the season as CLE's #1 RB, but if he stumbles as he quite possible could due to his age and wear & tear, Davis would be the guy who would take his spot. Harrison just isn't up to the demands of a full time RB. That's where Davis becomes a nice sleeper and a sneaky pick late in a FF draft when you can take a flyer or two. He's worthy of it because of those two potential keys: Capability and Opportunity.

What makes Davis a good sleeper is: 1) He has NFL featured RB potential, and 2) He has potential opportunity.

Note the key word: Potential. It's the word most FFers will focus on when they try to put the possibilities to rest, but if a player is a true sleeper, all you really have to go on is potential. If he were a proven NFL featured RB and he was being handed an opportunity like a first rounder would be, he wouldn't be a sleeper.

That said, let's look at Davis. If he would have entered the draft last year, there was a very real possibility that he would have been a late first to mid second round selection. Because he decided to stay in school, he really damaged his draft prospects. Why did that happen? Because Clemson's O-line suffered some real setbacks from the previous year to last year, and all their skill players took a significant hit.

But Davis runs hard and is the same size as a lot of outstanding RBs at the pro level. 5'-11" and 218 lbs is just about perfect for RBs in that they aren't so big that they tend to run upright or lack speed, but they have enough mass to absorb a lot of punishment. He is a very good one-cut RB. he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but he has a good skill set across the board - he is more than capable inside & outside, will willingly block, and has solid but not outstanding receiving skills. So why did he last until Rd. 6? This year's draft was odd, with some real quality RBs sliding until later in the draft. There seems to be more RBs in the league who are competent runners than I can remember in a while, so very few teams feel a need to restock the position when they can get bargains later and use earlier picks at other positions. So he has NFL potential in that he has shown he can play well against very good competiton at the college level, and he has solid but not spectacular credentials across the board in everything you would ask a NFL RB to do.

The opportunity? Well, he's behind a 30 yr old Jamal Lewis, who has a lot of miles on his chassis because of the number of carries he has accumulated and the way he runs. No one ever called Lewis elusive - he's a masher and takes a lot of punishment. At 240 lbs he can do it, but it takes its toll. He's had 9 years in the league if you count his missing 2001, and that's a long stay for any NFL RB. Harrison? He's a smurf who will never have enough size or talent to carry a full load. His upside is a complementary RB, no more. So that leaves Davis, and so far he has been getting very good reviews in camp.

Lewis will start the season as CLE's #1 RB, but if he stumbles as he quite possible could due to his age and wear & tear, Davis would be the guy who would take his spot. Harrison just isn't up to the demands of a full time RB. That's where Davis becomes a nice sleeper and a sneaky pick late in a FF draft when you can take a flyer or two. He's worthy of it because of those two potential keys: Capability and Opportunity.

Great analysis!

I wouldn't discount Harrison too much. He has looked good in his chances.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure you can write Jamal Lewis off so easily. And who said he doesn't have burst? He may not be the 4.4 guy he was coming out of TEN, but he's still pretty fast for a guy his size.

I think him and Benson are two of the more underrated backs this year especially if you can draft them in the 6th-8th round in deeper leagues.

Jamal Lewis had the 6th most fantasy points among ALL running backs two years ago when he had 1500+ total yards and 11 TD's. People are also talking about him being "on the wrong side of 30" and he's not even 30 yet! You can't even compare him to edge because he has 600 less career carries than him.

As far as Benson I think it's all cylinders go for a big year, a Rudi Johnson-esque year when he was in his prime

I think peepin was being sarcastic.

Yeah... I thought that was fairly obvious though...

And what did he have? 3 good years?

Yeah about 3 years, but there have been PLENTY of guys drafted late that have had great careers. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Bulger was drafted that same year in the 6th, and while he hasnt been great recently, he had a few pretty good years.

POoint is, just because one is taken late doesnt mean they arent worthy of being a stud.