[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just bought a new computer .....

theprofessor

I just bought a new computer and would like to know what is the best, and quickest, way to transfer files and pictures from my old computer to my new one? I have a ton of spreadsheets, word documents and pictures on my old PC that I need to place into my new PC,. I have hundreds of family pictures that would take a huge amount of time to burn onto CD's and was wondering if there was a better way? TIA .....

If both computers have network cards or wireless cards you could just network the two and copy them over. However, the hard drive or a really big thumb drive if both have USB ports is a good suggestion also.

Edited by Kid Cid

Flash stick/jump drive/whatever the hell you want to call those little things that nowdays are so cheap w/so much storage space I'm amazed anyone would bother with anything else for file transfer/backup, unless you have a ridiculous amt of stuff to back up. Hell 4 to 8 GB sticks run you about what a modest lunch will. Total plug n play, easy and portable, etc etc.

Edited by BeeR

Flash stick/jump drive/whatever the hell you want to call those little things that nowdays are so cheap w/so much storage space I'm amazed anyone would bother with anything else for file transfer/backup, unless you have a ridiculous amt of stuff to back up. Hell 4 to 8 GB sticks run you about what a modest lunch will. Total plug n play, easy and portable, etc etc.

Do those flash drives fit into a USB port? I have never used them before? Is there any software that you need to install to use them?

Clarify? What is an external hard drive? Details please ....

An external hard drive is just a hard drive that you plug into your available USB port.

I would suggest that you go to a best buy or office depot or staples and ask the computer guy to show you a Western Digital 500GB external HD.

Yep, I'd either go with an external hard drive or a flash drive (also known as jump drive), both of which plug in to a USB port.

I have a 16GB jump drive that I use for backing up my address book and .pst file for outlook, all pictures, videos, and documents. Only takes about 5-6 minutes to pull the files over. And that is with about 8GB of data. If you go the jump drive route, target about $2.50/GB, which is a good deal.

• 4 months later...

Found this old thread and thought I'd bump it as I am curious to hear what folks think about a couple related topics...

For those who do not build their own pc, when you do buy a new one, what do you think is the best way to get rid of the pre-loaded software and junk that comes on the machine? Re-install the OS? Manually uninstall/remove the programs? Anyone use a resource like pcdecrapifier?

For those who have iPods, what have you found is the easiest way to get your entire music library over and get your iPod interfacing with the new machine as seemlessly as possible?

Not looking for help or instructions...just kinda curious to see how unanimous(or varied) the approaches are amongst the Tailgaters :wacko:

Found this old thread and thought I'd bump it as I am curious to hear what folks think about a couple related topics...

For those who do not build their own pc, when you do buy a new one, what do you think is the best way to get rid of the pre-loaded software and junk that comes on the machine? Re-install the OS? Manually uninstall/remove the programs? Anyone use a resource like pcdecrapifier?

For those who have iPods, what have you found is the easiest way to get your entire music library over and get your iPod interfacing with the new machine as seemlessly as possible?

Not looking for help or instructions...just kinda curious to see how unanimous(or varied) the approaches are amongst the Tailgaters :wacko:

I always reinstall a new OS when I get a new PC. I just get the default OS (usually windows home) and reinstall my Win Professional version instead. CrapWare elimintated!

If you have an IPOD just install ITunes and set it (your new PC) to synchronize with your IPOD. Once you plug in the the IPOD it will download all songs to your PC (and vice-versa) from your library - keeping it synchronized.

One other thing: Is it just me that a Huddler called "TheProfessor" needs help with a new PC and doesn't know what an external hard drive is? :D

Edited by tosberg34

Question,

I am about to upgrade to Windows 7 and I want to do a clean install. I don't, however, have the disks that I would need to reinstall some of the programs that are currently on my laptop and that I want to keep. Am I screwed? Or is there a way that I can create some sort of disk that will allow me to install the software?

Question,

I am about to upgrade to Windows 7 and I want to do a clean install. I don't, however, have the disks that I would need to reinstall some of the programs that are currently on my laptop and that I want to keep. Am I screwed? Or is there a way that I can create some sort of disk that will allow me to install the software?

More than likely, Yes you are screwed. You can't "pull" a program from a HD unless it is a type that does not require an "install", that is it is just an "exe" file that does something. Why are you moving to W7? How old is the puter? What are it's specs?

More than likely, Yes you are screwed. You can't "pull" a program from a HD unless it is a type that does not require an "install", that is it is just an "exe" file that does something. Why are you moving to W7? How old is the puter? What are it's specs?

It is a computer I bought back in September with every intention of upgrading to Win 7 when it came out (I got a free upgrade). I would prefer to do a clean install since Vista has been acting weird on me and I want to purge it completely from the system.

As for the programs that I want to re-install, nothing is major except for the software for the laptop's built-in webcam. (I have specifically been holding off on adding new programs to the computer until I do the upgrade.)

It is a computer I bought back in September with every intention of upgrading to Win 7 when it came out (I got a free upgrade). I would prefer to do a clean install since Vista has been acting weird on me and I want to purge it completely from the system.

As for the programs that I want to re-install, nothing is major except for the software for the laptop's built-in webcam. (I have specifically been holding off on adding new programs to the computer until I do the upgrade.)

You may have a couple of options in regards to your webcam software; 1. The program may exist on a CD/DVD that came with the computer, and 2. either the manufacturer of the computer or webcam will have it available online for the drivers, etc.