[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

G20 Set To Begin In Pittsburgh

caddyman

Yeah, why Pittsburgh? That's one I just don't get. It's not like it's a convention city, or has a ton to offer in that vein.

BTW, I'm not downing the city. It's come a long way since the 70's and it's a pretty nice place, actually. It's just not equipped for this sort of thing.

One of the reasons was that up to 11 cities already said no. They wanted no part of it. So any reasoning that the local politicians give is just bunk. Philly, Boston, Chicago all said no thanks. This is a total joke. It is costing the city more than it will make. Not only that, but many companies are closing and are MAKING their employees take a vacation or sick day.

One of the reasons was that up to 11 cities already said no. They wanted no part of it. So any reasoning that the local politicians give is just bunk. Philly, Boston, Chicago all said no thanks. This is a total joke. It is costing the city more than it will make. Not only that, but many companies are closing and are MAKING their employees take a vacation or sick day.

wanna trade....we'll take the g20, you take the olympics :wacko:

Apache helicopters flying overhead and landing at one of my worksites. I am not in the loop of "need to know" but they are telling me that it was Obama that just landed. It was way cool checking out the helicopters but man do I feel like I am living in a war zone right now. I can tell all sorts of stories but at this point I am afraid they might storm my office when they intercept the internets.

Oh and for all you Pittsburghers. Our cell phones may be on the blink over the next two days according to some of these secret service guys. I am so happy they came here.

From CBSNews, may 9th:

The U.S. will play host to the next G-20 summit of world leaders in Pittsburgh on September 24-25, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs announced Thursday.

Gibbs stated that Pittsburgh was chosen because President Obama believes that the location is ideal for emphasizing economic restoration.

"It's an area that has seen its share of economic woes in the past, but because of foresight and investment is now renewed, giving birth to renewed industries that are creating the jobs of the future." Gibbs said.

Why Pitt is hosting G20

Nice week to own a fully renovated Embassy Suites.

Even though we are at the airport, we are booked solid thru Sunday, and have been since Monday. Secret Service, Air Marshalls, foreign dignitaries, news crews.....all here several days before and after the event....awesome for us.

you guys should be real patriots and let the govt workers stay for free!!

:wacko:

probably because they organizers realize that the wacko anti-globalization nutjobs would be scared of getting their asses kicked if they tried to rise up in a big protest (ala Seattle 1999)

Best answer so far. :wacko:

So far the protest have been pretty reasonable. Some trouble but that trouble was squashed right away and as far as I can tell things are going pretty smoothly.

Among the protesters was a group of several hundred wearing T-shirts reading, "G20: Free Tibet Before Free Trade." The crowd marched about eight blocks before police blocked their path. Officers allowed the protesters to chant in the street for more than an hour before they walked away. There were no arrests.

Others chanted pro-Josh Gordon slogans behind the riot police, and another group took up the stadium chant of "Let's go Steelers."

:wacko:

If he would have had a terrible towel on, things could have gone much better for the guy that will never be heard from again.

Still really calm if you ask me and things just seem to be way overblown. I have been back and fourth from each side of the city today and the worst thing I saw was about 20 pretty dirty looking protesters walking in the middle of the street.