[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hybrid Fuel Efficiency

Savage Beatings

Right now the most fuel efficient hybird is supposedly the 2009 Toyota Prius, which gets about 48 MPG. :wacko:

Here's what I don't get... 20 years ago I had three different close friends of mine, and each one of them purchased a different Honda CRX (tiny little cars). Every one of those guys got over 50 MPG, and one of them regularly achieved over 70 MPG (he had the HF model). These were just regular little gasoline powered stick shift vehicles. How come 20 years later, the greatest fuel efficiency that we can achieve with a freaking HYBRID still can't match the CRX from 20 years ago?

Right now the most fuel efficient hybird is supposedly the 2009 Toyota Prius, which gets about 48 MPG. :wacko:

Here's what I don't get... 20 years ago I had three different close friends of mine, and each one of them purchased a different Honda CRX (tiny little cars). Every one of those guys got over 50 MPG, and one of them regularly achieved over 70 MPG (he had the HF model). These were just regular little gasoline powered stick shift vehicles. How come 20 years later, the greatest fuel efficiency that we can achieve with a freaking HYBRID still can't match the CRX from 20 years ago?

I bet those things didn't have airbags and crumple zones and whatnot.

Plus, people are a lot heavier... so you've got that.

Right now the most fuel efficient hybird is supposedly the 2009 Toyota Prius, which gets about 48 MPG. :D

I don't remember CRXs getting 50+ mpg, but I get your point. ICE technology has not kept pace, by evil design I think. :wacko:

I had two buddes in high school with eco cars - one was a Chevy sprint - the other a Dodge Colt - both turbos and both got around 40 mpg and would so smoke a Prius.

I don't remember CRXs getting 50+ mpg, but I get your point. ICE technology has not kept pace, by evil design I think. :wacko:

I had two buddes in high school with eco cars - one was a Chevy sprint - the other a Dodge Colt - both turbos and both got around 40 mpg and would so smoke a Prius.

I've been thinking about this quite often lately. I drove a Nissan Cube rental for a few days while my daughter's car was being repaired (she is too young to drive the rental). That ridiculous piece of crap got 48 mpg at 75 mph while driving to OKC and back. Most hybrids get 30-50 mpg. Where is the improved fuel economy? This whole thing is a giant scam, almost as bad as ethanol. I remember people driving little Hondas and Datsuns when I was in high school (early '80s) that got 40+mph back then.

I've been thinking about this quite often lately. I drove a Nissan Cube rental for a few days while my daughter's car was being repaired (she is too young to drive the rental). That ridiculous piece of crap got 48 mpg at 75 mph while driving to OKC and back. Most hybrids get 30-50 mpg.

I think you may be comparing apples to oranges here. There is the rated MPG, and then there is actual MPG for a specific trip.

The Nissa Cube is MPG-rated at only about 30 MPG, but you're reporting 48.

The Prius reports 48, but you can exceed that to 57+ if you're taking a long cruise.

I bet those things didn't have airbags and crumple zones and whatnot.

I love being right all the time.

Not to mention, have you ever seen the increase in horsepower across the board compared to the cars of the 80's? Quite a difference.

Also, the Europeans have had some really good diesel options for years that get comparable gas mileage to a Prius. And they don't have the same carbon footprint as well...the batteries in the Prius kill it's carbon footprint methinks.

Edited by I Like Soup

They had the "good gas" back then. Who knew that leaded gas was so badass?

Plus no ethenol added . . . .

I still am holding out for my flying Deloreon with a "Mr. Fusion" reactor on the back. That thing must get SICK mileage!

Back in the day, every once in a while, I used to drop in Premium Leaded gas into my old 69' mustang.