[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

car experts

dmarc117

If you are looking to correct paint, you need abrasives, and for that you need a polish. (Some waxes have abrasives, but typically are not abrasive enough to do anything but clean the surface of the paint.)

Removing scatches by hand is pretty difficult. If they are really light scratches, you can try a product by Meguiars called Scratch-X, which you should be able to find at your local auto supply shop. If you have scratches all over your paint, I wouldn't bother, as it would take you forever to go over the entire car, and you'll arm will fall off long before you're through.

I would probably look for a professional detailer to polish your car and follow it up with a wax or sealant.

Edited by Furd

As i think about it, you are probably describing what are known as swirls. If they are fine, you may be able to get away with a less abrasive polish, like Meguiars Swirl-X.

Still, I wouldn't relish the thought of polishing an entire car by hand with the intention of correcting the paint.

As i think about it, you are probably describing what are known as swirls. If they are fine, you may be able to get away with a less abrasive polish, like Meguiars Swirl-X.

Still, I wouldn't relish the thought of polishing an entire car by hand with the intention of correcting the paint.

they are swirls

they are swirls

This is the bane of a black car owner and the main reason I won't usually buy one. Black makes it easy to see any and all imperfections in the paint, any speck of dust, whatever.

Furd gave you good advice. PAY SOMEONE. If you don't know what you're doing you'll burn the paint with a high-speed buffer and that's what you really need for this.

Actually, you can remove most defects from paint using a dual action polisher with the appropriate polishing pad(s) and compound(s). There is little risk to "burning through" modern paint with that type of machine. An amateur with a little experience can use a dual action polisher to correct minor defects. Obviously, the more significant the defect, the more difficult it is to correct, so more experience is required to do the job correctly. You can still screw the paint up pretty good with poor technique, particularly if using agressive pads and/or polish.

Rotary buffers are probably best left to more advanced amateurs and professionals. You can burn through the paint with one of those.