[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best External GPS

Brentastic

I'm thinking of purchasing something for the car - either tomtom or garmin etc... I have no experience with them so looking for the expert huddle opinions. Of course combining quality and value.

E2A: Consumer reports has this rated the highest - Nuvi 260W

get the 265wt. It hast a newer processor than the 260 and it comes with free lifetime traffic.. it will cost you about 40 bucks more than the 260 but its worth it. If you dont want to spend the extra 40 bucks, the 260 is fine. I know a few people that have it and no complaints.

get the 265wt. It hast a newer processor than the 260 and it comes with free lifetime traffic.. it will cost you about 40 bucks more than the 260 but its worth it. If you dont want to spend the extra 40 bucks, the 260 is fine. I know a few people that have it and no complaints.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, might as well go the extra $40 for the faster processor and whatnot.

What I found when asking that same question awhile back....the free traffic of the 265WT made me go with it over the 285WT.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=10503

The nuvi 285WT appears to be identical to the 265WT, except that that it doesn't offer NAVTEQ lifetime traffic. Instead, it comes with a three month trial subscription to MSN Direct. The advantages are that traffic coverage is offered for more cities, and you get extras like gas prices and weather, as well as the "Send to GPS" feature. But then you're stuck with an annual subscription fee too
Edited by myhousekey

I got the Nuvi 885T...

It has an MP3 player that I love. W/ a cassette tape adapter (or the FM function) it plays thru the car's stereo and when the voice comes on it lowers the music gives you the directions and raises the volume back up. Overall much cheaper than both devices separately. It also has a button that mounts on the steering column so you can give it voice prompts whilst diving.

Mine came w/ an MSN Traffic sub free for 3 months. It didn't work that well out here in the burbs, but is supposed to do better in Metro areas.

They also have a great forum....

WARNING:

I read a Tribune article that in many cities, Chi included, cops are giving a ticket for "obstructed windshield" if you mount it in the center of the windshield or dashboard. I mounted mine in the lower driver's corner of the windshield and so far no problem.

I got the Nuvi 885T...

It has an MP3 player that I love. W/ a cassette tape adapter (or the FM function) it plays thru the car's stereo and when the voice comes on it lowers the music gives you the directions and raises the volume back up. Overall much cheaper than both devices separately. It also has a button that mounts on the steering column so you can give it voice prompts whilst diving.

Mine came w/ an MSN Traffic sub free for 3 months. It didn't work that well out here in the burbs, but is supposed to do better in Metro areas.

They also have a great forum....

WARNING:

I read a Tribune article that in many cities, Chi included, cops are giving a ticket for "obstructed windshield" if you mount it in the center of the windshield or dashboard. I mounted mine in the lower driver's corner of the windshield and so far no problem.

The cops don't bother you because they're all union brothers right? :wacko:

I use my crackberry. I don't have to worry about updating maps and I always have it with me. Some ezine rated Magellan the most likely company to go out of business this year.

i actually use my blackberry when i am driving my daughters car ( more often than i want since she drives mine alot ) and it works really well

Beware of this, GPS users. :wacko:

GRANTS PASS, Ore. – A Nevada couple letting their SUV's navigation system guide them through the high desert of Eastern Oregon got stuck in snow for three days when the GPS unit sent them down a remote forest road.

On Sunday, atmospheric conditions apparently changed enough for their GPS-enabled cell phone to get a weak signal and relay coordinates to a dispatcher, Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger said.

"GPS almost did 'em in and GPS saved 'em," Evinger said. "It will give you options to pick the shortest route. You certainly get the shortest route. But it may not be a safe route."

Evinger said the couple got stranded Christmas Day and a Lake County deputy found them in the Winema-Fremont National Forest outside the small town of Silver Lake on Sunday afternoon and pulled their four-wheel-drive Toyota Sequoia out of the snow with a winch.

John Rhoads, 65, and his wife, Starry Bush-Rhoads, 67, made it home safely to Reno, Nev.

"It will be (a Christmas) we remember the rest of our lives," Starry Bush-Rhoads said in a telephone interview from her home. "They said if they didn't find us 'til this time next spring, we wouldn't be happy."

The couple was well-equipped for winter travel, carrying food, water and warm clothes, the sheriff said.

"Their statement was, being prepared saved their life," he said.

The couple had been in Portland and followed their GPS as it directed them south on U.S. Highway 97 to Oregon Highway 31, which goes through Silver Lake and Lakeview before connecting with U.S. Highway 395 to Reno, Evinger said.

In the town of Silver Lake, the unit told them to turn right on Forest Service Road 28, and they followed that and some spur roads nearly 35 miles before getting stuck in about 1 1/2 feet of snow near Thompson Reservoir, the sheriff said.

"For some reason, they finally got a weak signal after 2 1/2 days," Evinger said. "They called in. They alternated between two different cell phone numbers."

A GPS-enabled phone is able to send its coordinates to 911, and eventually one of the couple's phones sent its location to the dispatcher's console, the sheriff said.