[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shanahan's impact on Redskin's Running Game

kpholmes

The Skins started 12 different guys on the OL this year and used a total of 14 (Batiste didnt start a game but played 54 of 56 snaps in wk 5 when Samuels left the game after 2 plays & William Robinson played in 49 of 59 snaps after Heyer got hurt in wk15)

The Skins used 8 different starting OL configurations and only 4 times did the same configuration get used more than once...the 8th combination was the one that started the most consecutive games, 4 (wk13-16)....LT had 3 different starters plus Batiste in relief, RG had 5 different starters, RT had 2 different starters plus Batiste & William Robinson in relief...only LG(Dockery) & C (Rabach) played every snap this year (all at the same position too)

and people wonder why the Skins had issues on O

The Packers used quite a few o-line combos too, including hiring a street FA that is starting at RT. Grant had over 1200 yards . . .

Dont just blame the o-line for their collective poor play this year . . . it WAS a large factor, but the Redskins had far more problems than just their o-line.

Second note, did everyone forget Shanahan was the guess who our running back will be this week coach?

Exactly... not so much a RBBC, because at least one RB seemed to do well in any given game. It was trying to figure out which RB would be the one to get the carries that week which always led to :wacko:

If Portis is going to be productive next year, he'll have to choose another career. Shanny will look for a workhorse and that generally starts with guys who aren't 30 years old and don't have over 2,000 carries. I'd be surprised if Portis isn't released in the off season. I'd imagine Shanny is eyeballing that monster from Georgia Tech or the kid from Clemson. :wacko: Regardless of who, I can't see Shanny being happy with any of his current options at RB, so it's likely that depth chart will look different next season.

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

Exactly... not so much a RBBC, because at least one RB seemed to do well in any given game. It was trying to figure out which RB would be the one to get the carries that week which always led to :D

I think the only time Shanahannigans were at play was when he didn't have a particular RB to lean on. I don't seem to remember Portis or Terrell Davis being part of any kind of rotation when they played for Shanahan :wacko:

Now that being said, it would be more unusual than not in todays's NFL for a team NOT to have some form of RBBC. Appears to be the thing to do for 60-70% of NFL teams.

If money isn't a factor, he may be let go...but I seem to remember reading that releasing him would cost the Skins a mint.

It would only cost them cap space in an uncapped year. Portis has to be paid the balance of his signing bonus, but NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

Portis' tank is just about empty folks. You can thank Joe Gibbs for that - he rode Portis to death during his four years with the Skins. Other than 2006, when Portis was hurt, CP averaged 325 carries and 1,200 yards or more for three of his years under Gibbs. Overall, this guy has averaged nearly 300 carries, 1,300+ yards, and 10 TDs per year from 2002 - 2008 (I did not include this year due to his physical breakdown). CP did this despite his O-line play, not becuase of it...which really adds serious mileage and wear and tear on his body.

Simply put, CP has been a tremendous warrior for the Skins. But I believe his best days are way, way back in the rear view mirror due to the magnitude of this workload and the wear and tear he suffered achieving those stats with OK, but not great, O-line play.

As a Skins fan (sadly), I hope I am wrong. As a fantasy football nut, I would advise everyone stay away even if he plays again next year. He will continue to break down again and again. Watching the death of a stud RB is very hard when you know how much effort the player gave on game day to get where he is. Yeah...he doesn't like to practice (just like Riggo who would be in traction all week and show up on sunday to play), but nobody was complaining about CP when he was racking up 325 carries and 1,300 yards every year.

Edited by SpinalTapp

does'nt matter who coaches, Portis is all but done. if they keep him around he may well improve his stats from this year...-but that does'nt make him draftable. i will again be avoiding him next year and reccomend everyone else do the same.

bottom line: does'nt matter who's coaching. OL substituions and schemes don't matter. even Portis's injuries don't matter, (he was'nt doing well before the injuries), Portis has not been effective for a season and a half.

-fact is Portis got old, like every running back does.

He has really had a reduced workload, which has extended his career.

We can debate the exceptions ad nauseum . . and I have no interest in doing so without the comedic stylings of Big Ernie McPortishater

I pretty much expected someone to state just what you did but that isn't really the case...prior to this year Ricky had carried the ball 1923 times and had 275 receptions which equals 2198 total touches....people(not saying you but many) are usually quick to dismiss the older (28+) and high carry (2000+) RBs and all my point is that age and wear and tear alone don't preclude RBs from being productive

Edited by keggerz

I pretty much expected someone to state just what you did but that isn't really the case...prior to this year Ricky had carried the ball 1923 times and had 275 receptions which equals 2198 total touches....people(not saying you but many) are usually quick to dismiss the older (28+) and high carry (2000+) RBs and all my point is that age and wear and tear alone don't preclude RBs from being productive

keggers . . just a reminder that I was DEFENDING you in the earlier Portis threads.

IMO unless there is a serious effort made of improve the entire Redskins offensive philosophy, then Portis will struggle. If he goes elsewhere, he has a lot of miles on those tires, and could struggle. Personally, unless the value is enormous, I will be staying away from him next year. :wacko:

keggers . . just a reminder that I was DEFENDING you in the earlier Portis threads.

IMO unless there is a serious effort made of improve the entire Redskins offensive philosophy, then Portis will struggle. If he goes elsewhere, he has a lot of miles on those tires, and could struggle. Personally, unless the value is enormous, I will be staying away from him next year. :wacko:

i remember and I agree about the skins too...i think they will really turn that roster over.

that's a little deceiving...in the last six years Ricky did'nt play three of them.

CP did this despite his O-line play, not becuase of it...which really adds serious mileage and wear and tear on his body.

Simply put, CP has been a tremendous warrior for the Skins. But I believe his best days are way, way back in the rear view mirror due to the magnitude of this workload and the wear and tear he suffered achieving those stats with OK, but not great, O-line play.

Watching the death of a stud RB is very hard when you know how much effort the player gave on game day to get where he is. Yeah...he doesn't like to practice (just like Riggo who would be in traction all week and show up on sunday to play), but nobody was complaining about CP when he was racking up 325 carries and 1,300 yards every year.

these are great points. it is tuff to see a guy who left his body and soul on the field wear down and pretty much tossed away. i loved Portis and still do. it would be fantastic to see him get health and have a resurgence next year, but that is highly unlikely.

nice avatar, btw.....

NFL Network's Steve Wyche said Wednesday that he's "hearing" Clinton Portis' days in Washington could be numbered following the hiring of head coach Mike Shanahan.

Fellow reporter Mike Lombardi agreed with the notion. Shanahan hinted strongly Wednesday that he values the offseason program, especially for running backs. Portis, long averse to OTA participation, might be given a do-or-die mandate entering the spring. If so, it would be in his best interest to attend and practice. If he's cut, no other team would pay the declining back a $7+ million salary, which the Skins are currently slated to do in 2010.

that's a little deceiving...in the last six years Ricky did'nt play three of them.

yet his body did continue to age and those carries didn't mysteriously disappear....If it was easy to sit out 3 years and then come back and play at that level then guys would be doing it...but it isn't and sit out or not he is still a RB that is 30+ and one of the most used RBs in the history of the game.

Edited by keggerz

yet his body did continue to age and those carries didn't mysteriously disappear....If it was easy to sit out 3 years and then come back and play at that level then guys would be doing it...but it isn't and sit out or not he is still a RB that is 30+ and one of the most used RBs in the history of the game.

except his body had a chance to recover. nobody ever said a 30y/o back can't produce....-just that it is very rare. there are always exceptions, but in this case Ricky is unique in that no back has had a 3 year hiatus in the twilight of his career.