[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

haiti

dmarc117

Tee EU and European nations are two distinctly separate entities. It is pretty easy to google that, as well. And that is counting Italy forgiving a 40 million dollar loan in there, I'm pretty sure.

The European Union promised €330 million ($474 million) for emergency and long-term aid. The U.K.'s Development Secretary Douglas Alexander called the result of the earthquake an "almost unprecedented level of devastation", and said the United Kingdom committed to ₤20 million ($32.7 million), while France promised €10 million

you do realize that UK and France are smaller than the U.S.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you do realize that UK and France are smaller than the U.S.

No poopy, really!?!?!?!?! Did not know that, thank you for the insight. France GDP $2.8 Trillion, US GDP $14.2 Trillion, france has about 20% of the GDP the US does and is contributing about 14% of the amount, hows that.

And, what I am getting at is the fact that the US goes to every extent possible to help out nations in need and we get some cabinet member/politician/secretary of something or another, carping about the US having underlying intentions to occupy the f'ing country. Read the article.

And, what I am getting at is the fact that the US goes to every extent possible to help out nations in need and we get some cabinet member/politician/secretary of something or another, carping about the US having underlying intentions to occupy the f'ing country. Read the article.

We have the de facto leader of the Republican party in Rush Limbaugh saying to NOT donate additional money. We also have a "spiritual" leader in pat Robertson saying they made a pact with the devil and get what they deserve.

My point is that there are whackos in every country that use situations like this to help themselves and score political points. It is disgusting no matter who does it . . . .

We have the de facto leader of the Republican party in Rush Limbaugh saying to NOT donate additional money. We also have a "spiritual" leader in pat Robertson saying they made a pact with the devil and get what they deserve.

My point is that there are whackos in every country that use situations like this to help themselves and score political points. It is disgusting no matter who does it . . . .

Is an appointed or elected official making such a statement? Big difference.

And what i am stating is that it seems that each time the US goes out on a limb to help another nation we get blowback from other nations around the world regarding our motives for being engaged. I understand that the US has stuck its nose into places it did not belong, but for a public official to try and politicize this event is negligent, at best. I expect such from Chavez, but from a French official I really would have expected more. (though I do still resent France for not allowing us to fly over there territory to bomb libya back in '86.)

Edited by SEC=UGA

Is an appointed or elected official making such a statement? Big difference.

And what i am stating is that it seems that each time the US goes out on a limb to help another nation we get blowback from other nations around the world regarding our motives for being engaged. I understand that the US has stuck its nose into places it did not belong, but for a public official to try and politicize this event is negligent, at best. I expect such from Chavez, but from a French official I really would have expected more. (though I do still resent France for not allowing us to fly over there territory to bomb libya back in '86.)

Ehh . . . I think this is much ado about nothing. Your link said that the guy was in a "scuffle" with the US commander becasue a French evacuation flight wasnt given priority. his comments were out of line, but I doubt he is represenative of his whole gubmnet. Sounds like he was just pissed he couldnt get flight priority . . . .

I also guarantee more people listen to Robertson and Limbaugh on a SLOW day than have ever heard of this guy from France in his entire life.

Again, whackos are everywhere . . . :wacko:

Oh . . and we all know Hugo Chavez is a freakin nutbag :D

Tee EU and European nations are two distinctly separate entities. It is pretty easy to google that, as well. And that is counting Italy forgiving a 40 million dollar loan in there, I'm pretty sure.

So what's your point? Considering the EU and US as similar sizes with similar GDPs, isn't it fair to compare them? :wacko:

If you're going to break out European nations into their smaller entities, then shouldn't you break out the US into it's states? Again, what are you trying to prove here?

So what's your point? Considering the EU and US as similar sizes with similar GDPs, isn't it fair to compare them? :wacko:

If you're going to break out European nations into their smaller entities, then shouldn't you break out the US into it's states? Again, what are you trying to prove here?

The US has a population of roughly 300,000,000 the EU has a population of roughly 500,000,000. I'll be willing to trade you $30,000 for $50,000 since they are similar amounts. Also, are we just considering what the governments are giving or are private donations to charities being counted? I know I'd be OK with the US government not giving Haiti any money, just providing medical assistance, but I would be willing to give charities financial assistance and time to help rebuild.

The US has a population of roughly 300,000,000 the EU has a population of roughly 500,000,000. I'll be willing to trade you $30,000 for $50,000 since they are similar amounts. Also, are we just considering what the governments are giving or are private donations to charities being counted? I know I'd be OK with the US government not giving Haiti any money, just providing medical assistance, but I would be willing to give charities financial assistance and time to help rebuild.

Again, what are you trying to show here, apart from swinging your di(k?

ursa, that's a little unfair there. You tried to embarrass him by saying the EU was similar in size to the US when in fact it contains 167% the population. You've been proven wrong and you're acting like a girl.

ursa, that's a little unfair there. You tried to embarrass him by saying the EU was similar in size to the US when in fact it contains 167% the population. You've been proven wrong and you're acting like a girl.

It wasn't me he tried to embarrass, it was SEC=UGA. As to what I was trying to accomplish, just to show you that you were way off in saying the EU and the USA are the same size. I guess you don't take being corrected too well.

wow. That really is a bigger difference than I would have thought. How do the GNP's compare? Is there a site that has a the combined GNP of the EU? Or just the individual countries?

That would be telling to see how the population breaks down by GNP per person . . .

It wasn't me he tried to embarrass, it was SEC=UGA. As to what I was trying to accomplish, just to show you that you were way off in saying the EU and the USA are the same size. I guess you don't take being corrected too well.

I was referring to GDP, not population but I can see how "size" is interpreted differently. The EU has a GDP about 25% greater than the US so there's still a disparity - and it's bigger than I thought.

Anyway, I was referring to SEC's claim that

The US gives $100 million in aid, 10 times more than the UN, 20 times more than Canada and most of the European Nations

and pointing out that the EU as a single entity has committed way more than he was claiming. Of course the US has donated more than any SINGLE Euro nation. That's it.

Edit to add GDP link.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Anybody catch Gen Honere stating that Haiti needs to be evacuated and the US, Louisiana in particular needs to make room for as many as they can handle? Before I state my opinion I am interested in what others think.

Anybody catch Gen Honere stating that Haiti needs to be evacuated and the US, Louisiana in particular needs to make room for as many as they can handle? Before I state my opinion I am interested in what others think.

Since God already hates New Orleans (as evidenced by Katrina) he just wants to get all the unbelievers together for one final biblical disaster? :wacko:

maybe we could ask people from houston........... :wacko:

Oh yeah, that's all we need right there. Double digit unemployment already and we add a couple more people to the mix? I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to sending some shelters/trailers/corrugated steel/etc. down there to help them rebuild and carry them over in the mean time, but to bring them here just doesn't make sense.