[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

computer help

Dr. Sacrebleu

Have had this Ipod for a while, and my computer is a little old and messed up (wife spilt a drink on it 6months ago).

I was getting really annoyed that althoug all 7000 songs were on my ipod, a lot of them were listed only under Song and Album, but strangely not uner Artist. After trying to change all settings, I decided the best thing to do was to start all over again and Restore settings on the ipod (ie clear out ipod and reload up all my songs from itunes on my hard drive). While doing that, my computer froze. Twice. And I stupidly yanked the cord out twice.

Today i decided to start all over again, and when I plug in my ipod, the ipod icon appears on my desktop, but not in itunes. And itunes doesn't ever give me the option of synchronizing the ipod. A priori itunes is still functioning normally, because when I plug in my old nano, it starts synchronizing immediately.

Next year's membership is on me if someone can get this problem fixed, as the idea of having to reload my whole music library is too much for me to handle.

And the idea of going to some computer nerd website is even worse

Cheers,

sac

Edited by Dr. Sacrebleu

If for some reason you lose all your songs on your iPod let me know. My dad lost his and paid 20 for some kind of software that'll restore from the iPod. I'll give him a call to find out the name. He had over 4k lost which he was able to recover with the software.

Try uninstalling & reinstalling itunes.

will I lose all the data if I do that? ie all my songs

At the very least, update it. Sounds to me like it's the iPod that's the problem though since the old Nano works.

have the latest version, is their a way to get the older version back up?

If for some reason you lose all your songs on your iPod let me know. My dad lost his and paid 20 for some kind of software that'll restore from the iPod. I'll give him a call to find out the name. He had over 4k lost which he was able to recover with the software.

I'm not there yet, as I still have the songs on my hard drive. It's the getting them onto the ipod that is mystifying me....

thanks for the help. still waiting for someone to come up with the oh-just-press-ALT-SHIFT-7- option for me

:wacko:

As ursa states, itunes seems to be functioning normally, and there is nothing pparently abherent with the ipod, it's just that itunes isn't recognizing the ipod

remember. memebership is on me if anyone can save me from wasting 4 hours and then throwing the computer out the window

According to the apple forums you won't lose your songs if you uninstall and re-install. I'd back up the file first.

I can reset my ipod my holding the button in the middle down at the same time as I'm holding down menu at the top of the wheel. Maybe try that. Youcan go to the apple forums for instructions on resetting your ipod. I believe resetting it is different than restoring it.

According to the apple forums you won't lose your songs if you uninstall and re-install. I'd back up the file first.

It's actually one file per song, so thousands of them. Always worth backing up the entire structure anyway.

Sac, are you using the same USB lead to connect the iPods? If not, could be the lead that's the problem.

It's actually one file per song, so thousands of them. Always worth backing up the entire structure anyway.

Sac, are you using the same USB lead to connect the iPods? If not, could be the lead that's the problem.

Ursa could be right on here. I bought an Ipod Touch for my daughter and when we went to charge it the first time it didn't work. Turns out it was the USB cable that came with the Ipod. Luckily, my wife had an extra one laying around and we used that one instead and Bingo! Worked like a charm.