[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TV trouble

SheikYerbuti

:wacko: I never knew Square responded to me there....

if Plasma's were not getting phased out then why do Sony, Sharp, Toshiba and Vizio not make them anymore?....

I haven't heard about any 2010 Plasma models but I've heard all about LED and OLED models along with LCD as well....

I'm not knocking Plasma and the Panasonic G10 series is amazing along with some of their other lines which are also of good quality if you're not capable of buying a Pioneer model....it's just that Plasma only has 2, maybe 3 years left...

This is the first I am reading about this especially since Panasonic bought Pioneers patents on the kuro (the best current tv) and they are going to start using this techinology along with theirs in 2010. Also, in 2010 most of the plasma manufacturers are implementing the new 3D televisions. I have not heard plasmas are going extinct anytime soon.

LED backlight TVs are ok, but do not touch plasmas on picture quality and to be honest they never will. OLED are fascinating because of their picture quality (again no plasma) and their LOW usage of energy.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first I am reading about this especially since Panasonic bought Pioneers patents on the kuro (the best current tv) and they are going to start using this techinology along with theirs in 2010. Also, in 2010 most of the plasma manufacturers are implementing the new 3D televisions. I have not heard plasmas are going extinct anytime soon.

LED backlight TVs are ok, but do not touch plasmas on picture quality and to be honest they never will. OLED are fascinating because of their picture quality (again no plasma) and their LOW usage of energy.

if you're talking about an edge-lit LED, then yeah the PQ is average.....but a fully back-lit LED is probably my favorite television of any Brand....even the LG model is pretty good which is shocking because I'm not a real believer of LG....

and also from what it seems...Panasonic will stick with Plasma and Samsung will continue to come with Plasma's sparingly, but as far as the big picture goes....Plasma's are just going to be scarce as I don't see LG making Plasma's anymore after '09...

and like I said, Panasonic seems to be the only brand really in bed with Plasma, but that still could be for another 2-3 years tops as there are still far too many people disinterested in purchasing a Plasma and the market will likely dictate their change even though they will be the last ones off the ship...

if you're talking about an edge-lit LED, then yeah the PQ is average.....but a fully back-lit LED is probably my favorite television of any Brand....even the LG model is pretty good which is shocking because I'm not a real believer of LG....

and also from what it seems...Panasonic will stick with Plasma and Samsung will continue to come with Plasma's sparingly, but as far as the big picture goes....Plasma's are just going to be scarce as I don't see LG making Plasma's anymore after '09...

and like I said, Panasonic seems to be the only brand really in bed with Plasma, but that still could be for another 2-3 years tops as there are still far too many people disinterested in purchasing a Plasma and the market will likely dictate their change even though they will be the last ones off the ship...

Another thing that will help plasma alot is the picture size. LCDs have yet to be impressive above 42-52". so if someone is looking for lets say a 60", plasma hands down wins. Projectors are ok but you do take a hit on PQ unless you pay through the nose.

I hope plasmas do not die until a good replacement is around. The only reason I bought my Kuro when I did is because I knew Pio stopped making them so I wanted to cement a good plasma before they were all said and done. I think it will take Panny a good 2 years to implement the Pio technology into their sets.

Another thing that will help plasma alot is the picture size. LCDs have yet to be impressive above 42-52". so if someone is looking for lets say a 60", plasma hands down wins. Projectors are ok but you do take a hit on PQ unless you pay through the nose.

I hope plasmas do not die until a good replacement is around. The only reason I bought my Kuro when I did is because I knew Pio stopped making them so I wanted to cement a good plasma before they were all said and done. I think it will take Panny a good 2 years to implement the Pio technology into their sets.

Panasonic will have to implement the Pioneer technology this year if they want to make the stride they need to stay competitive since they are staying with plasma...

and I agree that LCD's lose their quality from 52" and up, but I think LED and OLED technology will help that starting this year....I've been really impressed with fully back-lit LED's to the point where this is where my money is likely going...

if the 2010 models are too expensive, then I will pick up the '09 Sharp LED at a discount when they start discontinuing it...the quality of Blu-ray on this set is the best I've seen on anything that is not a Plasma and it rivals that of the Panasonic 54" G10 series...

So what does calibration actually DO?

Is it supposed to give you the most natural picture?

Save the life of your TV?

I calibrated mine tonight from a thread from the avs forum that corresponded with my TV, and the picture looks more dull to me. Not as bright and vivid.

Just wondering if that is how it is supposed to look.

Calibration should give you an image as it was intended to be seen by the filmmakers. All productions (not something that's web based only) have color creected their shows on the baseline of color bars. Calibrating your TV to those bars gives you what should be a "proper" image based on how it was designed.

Here's a very extreme example: if you just tried to color correct to your eye without proper calibration (avernus style) and put in Blade Runner and then Fargo one of those two films would more than likely appear WAY out of whack. Blade Runner uses a bunch of dark areas, while Fargo is primarily in snow. Watched on a properly calibrated monitor you would see the texture of the snow in Fargo (many in Hollywood thought it was a shame it didn't get the best cinematography oscar because shooting white snow with it's texture is dang near impossible) and the details that were barely exposed in the dark sections of Blade Runner.

IF you think your picture is less bright and vivid than before that's probably because it was oversaturated and now you've fixed that. Now, it might not be what you like, so you know what? Go back in and bump it back in the direction you prefer but try not to go back to what it was. That's the best way to enjoy your purchase without going throw the backlight in a less than ideal time frame.

Calibration should give you an image as it was intended to be seen by the filmmakers.

Spot on

Not everyone who calibrates their TV set will like it or feel they got their money's worth. In my case, I noticed a HUGH difference when I purchased my TV, tried to calibrate it myself and had a PRO calibrate it. The set added tons of depth and especially in areas where there are dark colors. On a calibrated screen you get darker darks which can disgtinguish depth and color accuracy.

Calibration should give you an image as it was intended to be seen by the filmmakers. All productions (not something that's web based only) have color creected their shows on the baseline of color bars. Calibrating your TV to those bars gives you what should be a "proper" image based on how it was designed.

Here's a very extreme example: if you just tried to color correct to your eye without proper calibration (avernus style) and put in Blade Runner and then Fargo one of those two films would more than likely appear WAY out of whack. Blade Runner uses a bunch of dark areas, while Fargo is primarily in snow. Watched on a properly calibrated monitor you would see the texture of the snow in Fargo (many in Hollywood thought it was a shame it didn't get the best cinematography oscar because shooting white snow with it's texture is dang near impossible) and the details that were barely exposed in the dark sections of Blade Runner.

IF you think your picture is less bright and vivid than before that's probably because it was oversaturated and now you've fixed that. Now, it might not be what you like, so you know what? Go back in and bump it back in the direction you prefer but try not to go back to what it was. That's the best way to enjoy your purchase without going throw the backlight in a less than ideal time frame.

I am SOOO getting my 50 inch calibrated now . . .

Who do you look for that does this? Geek Squad?

fwiw, I had Bladee Runner on Blu-ray and it's funny how that was one of the movies you mentioned....

I watched this on the bedroom TV when I "avernus styled" the calibration and it looked just like the livingroom set...I don't own fargo yet, but I already made said adjustments when I had time to calibrate the bedroom set anyways - so we'll never know....

and yeah, the adjustments I had to make were very minor.....

anyways...the horse IS in fact dead, Pope...so you can relax now..

I wouldn't let any Best Buy geek squad touch anything of mine....I've heard all kinds of crap and nightmare stories about them...

the 1st thing I would do is check AVSforums to see if there are any calibration threads for your particular model as this could save you time and money...

other than that, I will be able to let you know in a few months if I get my 52" LED which would need to be professionally calibrated as I wouldn't be able to get away with doing it "avernus style" as pope says due to the size and all...

The Geek Squad do a HORRIBLE job at calibrating TVs. They basically use the CDs where you can do it. I would go to AVSForum.com and check out ChadB or DNICE and see if they travel to your area. There alot of others on that site,but I have dealt with those 2.

fwiw, I had Bladee Runner on Blu-ray and it's funny how that was one of the movies you mentioned....

I watched this on the bedroom TV when I "avernus styled" the calibration and it looked just like the livingroom set...I don't own fargo yet, but I already made said adjustments when I had time to calibrate the bedroom set anyways - so we'll never know....

and yeah, the adjustments I had to make were very minor.....

anyways...the horse IS in fact dead, Pope...so you can relax now..

:wacko: You're the one being defensive. You've clearly got great knowledge when it comes to the components and I respect the fact you're well read on them - much better than I. But I also know when you claim to color correct several TVs at sears without color bars you're not doing it properly. And all the professionals I work with - who ARE knowledgeable on the subject would burst out laughing at your claims.

You'll also note that in pretty much every post I say to go with the picture you like, with jibes with how you do it and also what you say as well. I simply know you're not as spot on in the color department as you've made yourself out to be. You color correct to your opinion and the results back up...your opinions. Imagine that.

:D You're the one being defensive. You've clearly got great knowledge when it comes to the components and I respect the fact you're well read on them - much better than I. But I also know when you claim to color correct several TVs at sears without color bars you're not doing it properly. And all the professionals I work with - who ARE knowledgeable on the subject would burst out laughing at your claims.

You'll also note that in pretty much every post I say to go with the picture you like, with jibes with how you do it and also what you say as well. I simply know you're not as spot on in the color department as you've made yourself out to be. You color correct to your opinion and the results back up...your opinions. Imagine that.

ahaha...the subject was dead until you resurrected it....and I guess you calling me defensive is you being on the offensive - WAY TO GO, GUY!

and I do have a point of reference to go by.....and that would be my other TV that I took the time to calibrate as soon as I picked up the disc and you might knock what I did which is fine because you'll say I didn't and I'll say I did and continue the pissing contest - but the fact remains that when I calibrated that set "avernus style", there were no problems as far as the black levels go and the sharpness was nailed right on the head - which is the easiest part to adjust if you're doing it "avernus style" :wacko:

anyways....back on topic I guess...the only disc that is worth using to calibrate your set is the Blu-ray version, but going to AVS should nip this in the bud..

and I do have a point of reference to go by.....and that would be my other TV that I took the time to calibrate as soon as I picked up the disc and you might knock

Well, I'll knock this then because if you're using one set as a point of reference to calibrate another you're doing it wrong. Plain and simple.

So is calibration only really important if you watch a lot of movies? Because my wife and I watch pretty much zero movies.

No the same applies to television. Color correction is a very big thing in post production and I'd say pretty much anything aired has it done. As I said earlier the exception would be internet stuff. Also, if you dimmed out your backlight from the settings you pulled you might have saved some of its life.

Just bought a Panasonic 50" plasma TV last year at Best Buy and got the extended warranty and the Geek Squad calibration with the deal. All I can say is I love what the calibration did for the colors and picture quality. Money well spent IMO.

I've got a 4 year old Panasonic PT-61LCX65 TV. About a week ago, a fuzzy redish spot appeared in a fixed place on the screen. It's more pronounced when that place on the screen is showing light colors (yellows, flesh, greens).

Change the bulb? Optical engine? Time to start shopping for a new one?

So, final result of the OP:

Called Panasonic, they sent out a tech today. The EEPROM inside the TV needed to be rebooted. Done in 20 minutes. Service call was 100% covered by Panasonic.

Big props to them for standing by their product! :wacko: