[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

just sent my foid app in.......

dmarc117

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any suggestions on firearms.......

i want to get a shotgun, long gun, and pistol

tia

Need more info.

To what purpose will they be put to use. How much time are you going to invest in training/practice? Will you be the only one using, or is the wife a consideration? Big size difference between you two?

Need more info.

To what purpose will they be put to use. How much time are you going to invest in training/practice? Will you be the only one using, or is the wife a consideration? Big size difference between you two?

Shotgun, hunting (what), clays, protection?

Long gun, hunting, long range plinking, use to hold of the IRS when they come to take your last dime?

Pistol, hunting, plinking, home defense, conceal carry?

Are you going to buy all at once, or over a period of time? What is your budget?

Need more info.

Shotgun, hunting (what), clays, protection?

Long gun, hunting, long range plinking, use to hold of the IRS when they come to take your last dime?

Pistol, hunting, plinking, home defense, conceal carry?

Are you going to buy all at once, or over a period of time? What is your budget?

shotgun........protection/hunting

long gun.......protection/hunting

pistol............protection

mainly for my use, wife not a fan but would use if necessary.

shotgun........protection/hunting

long gun.......protection/hunting

pistol............protection

mainly for my use, wife not a fan but would use if necessary.

On the shotgun we need to know what you will be hunting in order to tell you what we would suggest.

Rifle I'd go with a .30-.30, .30-06 or .308. I don't know what the terrain is like but I like the .30-30 for heavily wooded. The other two are better at long range. All three are the most readily available cartridges and fairly cheap to feed.

Pistol are you looking for concealment or something on you night stand? How much time do you have to practice?

Again need a budget so as to fit you with the best you are willing to pay for. Keep in mind firearms hold their value tremendously well.

On the shotgun we need to know what you will be hunting in order to tell you what we would suggest.

Rifle I'd go with a .30-.30, .30-06 or .308. I don't know what the terrain is like but I like the .30-30 for heavily wooded. The other two are better at long range. All three are the most readily available cartridges and fairly cheap to feed.

Pistol are you looking for concealment or something on you night stand? How much time do you have to practice?

Again need a budget so as to fit you with the best you are willing to pay for. Keep in mind firearms hold their value tremendously well.

practice? you need to practice? jk! not much time to practice, i have shot a glock and .22 rifle before.

shotgun, lets just say for protection, maybe semi-auto?

pistol, i guess i could go with 2, one to conceal and one for the nite stand.

5kish for all 3

how long does ammo stay good for? guns, do they get bad if you dont shoot them often?

Edited by dmarc117

For protection forget the semi-auto on the scatter gun. Go with something cheap like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. For either one you are looking at spending anywhere form $300 to $800 depending on the accessories. Both are pump action which makes them cheaper, but also make that sound that will make an intruder chit their pants. You can get a plane-jane Remington 870 for around 300. If you go tactical with with a Mossberg you can put quite a bit more into it. I'd go plane-jane because you can actually take them out to a skeet shoot with out looking like an idiot. In other words it will have a dual use.

Rifle - I love the Winchester Model '94 30-30 that was made prior to 1964. You won't find a rifle you can shoulder any faster. It will take down a man or a deer pretty easily at 150-200 yards. If you need more range go with the .30-06 or the .308. I'm fond of the Browning X-Bolt, but have buddies with Remington Model 700's and some old Pre 64 Winchester Model 70's. You really just need to go to a gun show or shop pick a few up, tell us what you are considering, and let us tell you if we think you are making a mistake. With your budget you could easily afford an AR, if you want to go that route too. Heck with your budget you could probably get a good deer rifle, and AR, a serviceable scatter gun, and decent pistol.

Pistol - if you aren't going to have time to practice get a wheel gun you can handle. The longer the barrel the more accurate you will be, but the harder it will be to conceal. I wouldn't use a pistol for home protection, I'd reach for the shotgun. So I'd probably look for a pistol I could conceal, unless you are planning on hunting with it. Then honestly your are probably looking at two pistols. I carry a 1911 but I'm pretty big, so I can conceal it pretty easily. My wife carries a snub nose .38 S&W J Frame that I could actually put in my front pocket with no holster and you would never know it was there.

You really need go somewhere that you can handle a few of few guns to see what feels good to you, particularly with the rifle and the pistols. Then come back tell us what you think you want to get and we can tell you if you are on the right track or not.

Perch . . I rarely take my Mossberg for skeet shooting . . I always use my over under. Not only is my Mossberg a good deal heavier, but using a pump is almost unnecessary when I am doing a high house/low house circuit . . same with sporting clays. But that is just me . . .:wacko:

Dmarc, dont you work downtown Chicago? until that handgun ban is struck down, I dont recommend carrying a handgun in city limits . . .but for home defense everything Perch said is dead on . . the sound of chambering a round in a pump-action is its own reward, and should scare them off.

Just take care of your guns and clean and oil them after use.

Perch . . I rarely take my Mossberg for skeet shooting . . I always use my over under. Not only is my Mossberg a good deal heavier, but using a pump is almost unnecessary when I am doing a high house/low house circuit . . same with sporting clays. But that is just me . . .:wacko:

He said it was more for protection, which is why I suggested the pump. I've shot many skeet with an 870 in my younger not so well off days. My progression was the 870, to an old Belgium A5, to Silver Pigeon II. Sure I'd rather us the Silver Pigeon, but every now and then I'll still take the 870 out just for fun, particularly when we have big family shoots and someone might need a gun.

ETA: When I hear something going bump in the night I grab the 870, and there are very few things in life scarier than me in my drawers and house shoes holding an 870.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

He said it was more for protection, which is why I suggested the pump. I've shot many skeet with an 870 in my younger not so well off days. My progression was the 870, to an old Belgium A5, to Silver Pigeon II. Sure I'd rather us the Silver Pigeon, but every now and then I'll still take the 870 out just for fun, particularly when we have big family shoots and someone might need a gun.

ETA: When I hear something going bump in the night I grab the 870, and there are very few things in life scarier than me in my drawers and house shoes holding an 870.

:wacko:

Dmarc, strangle the enemy with yer bare hands. Only pansies use guns. It's really the chicken way to do things. You grasp around the neck and laugh while watching the life suck out of the beast. Give it a kiss on the cheek right before it closes it's little eyes.

Also.

I would get 22 cal pistol to take to the range and shoot, it is a lot less expensive. That and it is something that your wife would feel comfortable handling as well, mine won't touch my 40 or 45 (or 44, 357 for that matter). At the end of the day, you want them to feel comfortable with what they're shhoting if they are home alone.

Probably good... I only have one Mossberg, it is an OLD 12 gauge (single shot) that my grandfather had, I mean 1905ish. Damn thing still works like a charm, looks good and kicks like a mule.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Nothing wrong with it, but probably more than you need to pay for it. Just get a simple pump action scatter gun. Don't pay to make it look like it is out of some commando movie.

Nothing wrong with it, but probably more than you need to pay for it. Just get a simple pump action scatter gun. Don't pay to make it look like it is out of some commando movie.

Agreed.

Though I am pretty sure that is the one Cheney hunts with.

Perch, I just have one question . . . why?

Why do you feel the need to carry a firearm wherever you go? Do you feel in danger? I understand with the boars around your house why you would around your property, but why in public?

Seriously asking, because while I own several guns, I have never felt the need to carry them on my person 24-7 . .

Perch, I just have one question . . . why?

Why do you feel the need to carry a firearm wherever you go? Do you feel in danger? I understand with the boars around your house why you would around your property, but why in public?

Seriously asking, because while I own several guns, I have never felt the need to carry them on my person 24-7 . .

You never know when you are going to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I'll probably never need it, hell I hope I never need it, but if I do I'll be glad I have it. You forget that I do criminal background checks on everyone that steps foot or wants to step foot on one of my job sites. I get to see how many thugs there are, and the kind of charges they have against them. I don't work around the best of crowds when I'm out thin the field, or for that matter sometimes in the office. Also it has been proven that states with concealed carry laws have less violent crime. The criminals are somewhat aware of how many people are carrying. My carrying or at least having the permit may help deter crime. If I'm going to get the permit, why not carry. Plus by carry it doesn't necessarily mean on my person, but could be in my vehicle (thought that law recently changed in Texas and you no longer have to have a permit for a having a loaded firearm in the vehicle as long as it is concealed).

All Perch's advice is good, and I second the notion of getting a .22 pistol to get the wife acclimated.

Also, see if you have a buddy that shoots. Offer to pay for some ammo and get familiar with the guns he has. Go to a range and rent different handguns, shotguns, whatever they have.

I also second the shotgun for home defense, and I too would recommend a pump. As for autos, I'm not much of a shotgun shooter, but Jimmy Neutron is a man who's advice on guns I would trust and he swears by his Benneli auto shotguns.

So try out as much as you can. A little experience and your own preferences will begin to crystalize. And don't pay any attention to reviews in places like Guns & Ammo or other gun rags. They have to sell advertising. The best firearms board I've found on the web is www.thefiringline.com.