[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

college tuition

dmarc117

So sad... Get a job, get student loans, play the lottery more it helps fund scholarships here in GA. Any way, college has always been expensive, besides too many people who don't need to be in college are going to college now days. They pay 60 grand for a degree in history and end up selling beer for a distributorship, something they coulda done without a degree... Tell these children to go to trade school, they'll make good money and won't have the debt burden.

So sad... Get a job, get student loans, play the lottery more it helps fund scholarships here in GA. Any way, college has always been expensive, besides too many people who don't need to be in college are going to college now days. They pay 60 grand for a degree in history and end up selling beer for a distributorship, something they coulda done without a degree... Tell these children to go to trade school, they'll make good money and won't have the debt burden.

Bad advice here.

The books are a scam tho. Way overpriced.

When I took my first class a credit hour cost $43 (this at a liberal private college)!! My almost-a-doctor daughter will be paying off her loans until sh'e about 35. Maybe.

What a scam this whole college and selling of an education really is. Our school district recently had the manager of a Wal Mart distribution center speak to the faculty and he basically encouraged us to teach the students how to tell time and how to get to work every day. Wal Mart would teach them what they needed to know to do their job. Initially I was angry but after some time... I think he might be right.

They have dumbed down the admission process and for that matter the classes so much as to make the education received virtually worthless, but since the schools themselves along with the politicians keep preaching about everyone's right to higher education and the need for a more educated society, there are record numbers of applicants. You drive up demand, and you are going to drive up the price, simple economics though they really don't teach that anymore just look at weigie :wacko: . Now that the states no longer have the tax revenues they once had they can no longer afford the redistributive practice of making me help pay for my neighbors "college education". They have to use my tax dollars on other crap, like paying down the debt caused by their other redistributive practices. Until we as a nation admit that not everyone is college material then we are going to see water downed over priced college educations and college graduates that aren't worth a damn. This is the main reason I'd rather give a job to a guy with 4 years of experience than I would a college graduate. He actually knows what he is doing, and I know he will actually work.

I have a problem with all the "other" crap courses that students are forced to take, which only extends their stay and hires more faculty that are really unnecessary unless they are tied to a specific major.

Tuition has been at a huge rate of inflation for years . . . with no end in sight, yet I keep seeing my alma mater building sweet new facilities every year (a state school). Something's gotta give. . . .

Tuition has been at a huge rate of inflation for years . . . with no end in sight, yet I keep seeing my alma mater building sweet new facilities every year (a state school). Something's gotta give. . . .

:wacko:As in this

Another issue is that universities becoming more top-heavy with the addition on a lot more administrators.

. Wal Mart would teach them what they needed to know to do their job. Initially I was angry but after some time... I think he might be right.

That will for sure make it a 2 class system in this country. Kicking out drones to work at wally world and mega mart is not what education is for. They can stop going to school after 12 and do that. It will lead to even more dysfunction. Until schools can take back education and discipline in the schools things will not get better and we will be kicking out drones that can't tell time or get to work on time.

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

I have a problem with all the "other" crap courses that students are forced to take, which only extends their stay and hires more faculty that are really unnecessary unless they are tied to a specific major.

Yep I never will forget we had to have two "capstone" course to graduate. Some of the capstone courses included:

Death and Dying

The Making of the Bomb and the Moral Consequences

The Plight of the Single African American Mother

There were a lot more that were just and dumb and just as useless.

Hate to tell all you guys that want to do away with that " liberal arts crap" si no good. Even Japan has realized that just teaching math, reading and science only leads to people that are great with math but cant problem solve on the job etc. Countries that encourage classes out side of the main disciplines produce better scientist, mathematicians etc . because they can think outside the box when they need to.

Hate to tell all you guys that want to do away with that " liberal arts crap" si no good. Even Japan has realized that just teaching math, reading and science only leads to people that are great with math but cant problem solve on the job etc. Countries that encourage classes out side of the main disciplines produce better scientist, mathematicians etc . because they can think outside the box when they need to.

Problem solving and critical things . . yes.

taking a jazz appreciation class . . . . not so much. I still just dont appreciate jazz enough . . . :wacko:

Disagree if you're talking about secondary schools.

If the primary schools are doing their jobs :wacko: there is no reason for a Chemical Engineering major having to take music appreciation or introduction to economics or texas history in college.

That will for sure make it a 2 class system in this country. Kicking out drones to work at wally world and mega mart is not what education is for. They can stop going to school after 12 and do that. It will lead to even more dysfunction. Until schools can take back education and discipline in the schools things will not get better and we will be kicking out drones that can't tell time or get to work on time.

What do you think the gov't schools are set up to do? The system we have is the resulting brainchild of guys like Carnegie and Rockefeller so they could have a goodly supply of drones for their corporate empires. I highly recommend the writings of John Taylor Gatto

If the primary schools are doing their jobs :wacko: there is no reason for a Chemical Engineering major having to take music appreciation or introduction to economics or texas history in college.

It pisses me off when our young engineers did not take a basic economics course and have to be taught how to calculate life cycle costs for projects. Yukon is correct, based upon my observations, that a more rounded education helps make better engineers. Our clients don't speak "math".

At the same time, I saw way too many kids come to college in Bozeman just to ski and drink beer for four, five, six years that have never done a damn thing with their degrees (if they even bothered to graduate). Maybe, the emphasis on a college degree in our society needs to be lessened, and the actual worth of a college degree needs to be strengthened.

I paid for 100% of my college education by working 30 to 40 hours a week and going into debt because my parents couldn't help me out and I wasn't eligible for financial aid being male and white. I gaurantee that I appreciate my degree more than most and will never for a second think I am not getting an appropriate return on investment from it.

It pisses me off when our young engineers did not take a basic economics course and have to be taught how to calculate life cycle costs for projects. Yukon is correct, based upon my observations, that a more rounded education helps make better engineers. Our clients don't speak "math".

At the same time, I saw way too many kids come to college in Bozeman just to ski and drink beer for four, five, six years that have never done a damn thing with their degrees (if they even bothered to graduate). Maybe, the emphasis on a college degree in our society needs to be lessened, and the actual worth of a college degree needs to be strengthened.

I paid for 100% of my college education by working 30 to 40 hours a week and going into debt because my parents couldn't help me out and I wasn't eligible for financial aid being male and white. I gaurantee that I appreciate my degree more than most and will never for a second think I am not getting an appropriate return on investment from it.

I only know one young engineer (engineer-to-be actually until he graduates in May and hopefully gets a job :wacko:) Perhaps I misspoke about the economics course, but I stand by the rest generally.

I only know one young engineer (engineer-to-be actually until he graduates in May and hopefully gets a job :wacko:) Perhaps I misspoke about the economics course, but I stand by the rest generally.

I had an engineering economics course in addition to the others. This one was taught by the College of Engineering for this purpose and is required of all engineering students.

right but they are not taking care of it.

At the same time, I saw way too many kids come to college in Bozeman just to ski and drink beer for four, five, six years that have never done a damn thing with their degrees (if they even bothered to graduate).

Did you Know my life partner? I spent many a night at Molly B's

I'm definitely on record here as an advocate for the value of a broad, "liberal" education. but I certainly don't think the federal government needs to be subsidizing it, certainly not at levels far beyond they do currently, which is something being proposed by the administration. this talk about forgiving loans of people who don't pay them off after x number of years, or if they go to work for the government...it just creates an insane set of economic incentives, promoting people to pursure "skills" that just aren't marketable. AND it increases demand for higher education that much further, which puts even more upward pressure on tuition costs.

if anything, our soceity has a problem with too many people pursuing 4 year college, especially in fields where the payoff just isn't worth the expense. but the administration is acting like our problem is too few people going to college. :wacko:

I'm definitely on record here as an advocate for the value of a broad, "liberal" education. but I certainly don't think the federal government needs to be subsidizing it, certainly not at levels far beyond they do currently, which is something being proposed by the administration. this talk about forgiving loans of people who don't pay them off after x number of years, or if they go to work for the government...it just creates an insane set of economic incentives, promoting people to pursure "skills" that just aren't marketable. AND it increases demand for higher education that much further, which puts even more upward pressure on tuition costs.

if anything, our soceity has a problem with too many people pursuing 4 year college, especially in fields where the payoff just isn't worth the expense. but the administration is acting like our problem is too few people going to college. :wacko:

I agree that 2 many people go to collage but until this country will except " taking" of high school students the options for trade schools etc are not there until they are out of high school.