[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blitz Jr coming out of his shell ....

Grits and Shins

My son is 14 year old freshman. The high school he attends pushes for all the students to do a certain number of hours of community service each year.

My daughter is a 17 year old senior that starts on her varsity softball team. The softball team hosted a tournament this weekend (Thu, Fri, Sat) which means the team/families worked the tournament - making sure dug outs had water, running the concession stand, set up, clean up etc).

One way for my son to get community service is to work the concession stand. He has always liked to do this because one of the perks is some free food junk food here and there. Thursday our games were at 2:00 and 4:00 ... we pulled Blitz Jr. out of school at 1:30 (all he had left was lunch and cross country) so we wouldn't have to leave the fields and he got to work the concession stand. Funny thing about this tournament that my son wasn't aware of when he signed up ... the JV girls would be working the concession stand too.

Flash forward to today ... my daughter's first game was at 2:00 followed by the last game of the tournament at 4:00. Last night Blitz Jr. informed us that he wanted to work the concession stand again today, which was okay by us. Mrs. Blitz had to get up bright and early to run some stuff up to the tournament before the first game ... she was getting ready to walk out the door around 8:00 AM when Blitz Jr. poked his head out the door and said "Hey aren't you going to wait for me?". So he worked the concession stand all day today ... as did some of the JV girls.

Tournament is over, we clean up and then mosey down to the concession stand to roust the boy out and head home ... he's not really ready to leave (surprise) but more surprisingly the three girls aren't ready for him to leave either. We were informed that they were going to hang out more tonight ... either in Town Square ... or something. They exchange numbers ... Blitz Jr. has to ask us for his number to make sure he gives them the right number. So I'm thinking we were just hearing a bunch of talk but nothing would ever come of it. We get home and Blitz Jr. immediately hits the shower and begins prep mode. He has a text waiting for him when he gets out of the shower.

So now he is hanging with three of the JV girls at one of their homes ... watching one or more movies.

I was thinking hat trick.

And the texting has begun. Until today he wasn't all that concerned about when or if he had his cell phone with him at all times ... I suspect he will care a bit more now.

Let the good times roll! He's probably on cloud nine.