[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Job interviews - experiences etc

BeeR

While we're on the job hunt topic, just thought I'd throw it out there in general. Most of my interviews have been a 1-on-1 or maybe 2-on-1 deal, but I have had a few that were multi-round meat grinders. Generally have been a mix of technical interviews and more "soft skills" questions. I have found that most people who give interviews hate it about as much as the interviewee.

Dumbest questions ever: "what's your favorite color and why?" :wacko: Surprise, was asked by an HR person who knew very little about the actual job. (No I didn't say hot pink) Runner up might be the stupidly vague "describe yourself." Tempting as it was to just put "10 inches" I threw out the usual why-I'm-a-great-candidate bit.

Edited by BeeR

Well, you're right that people doing the interviewing generally hate it. Enthusiasm is always key (w/o being an over the top d-bag). Ask a lot of questions that show you've done research into the job and know what the job's about. Describe yourself is a dumb question. A lot of people doing the interviewing don't have a clue so they throw out any question they can think of. Also, most of the time, it's more about how you communicate with enthusiasm and confidence than what you're actually saying.

I love the "describe your greatest weakness" questions. If you don't want to go with the rabble, and say the completely insincere "I work too hard.", try "I'm terrible at names" It is one of the most widespread weaknesses out there, shows your human, and everyone at the table can relate. And if you forget the names of the interviewers, it's fine!

May not be such a good weakness for a SALES position, though. But normal IT stuff... cool.

Thanks all but actually I was just looking for stories and chatter about it vs tips. Pretty much agree w/what's been said though. I always thought a good "weakenss" answer was "I'm too much of a perfectionist" - ie the weakness that is really mostly a strength.