[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Family Trip to Chicago

Swashbucklers

We are tentatively planning an overnight trip to Chicago over Spring Break (which is the first full week in April). I have a 3.5 year old son and a 1.5 year old daughter. We are currently planning on going to Shedd Aquarium, but other than that, we have nothing planned. What are some things that my children (specifically my 3.5yo) may like? Is the Field Museum worth it for younger kids, and can we hit both the aquarium and field museum in one day? Also looking to stay overnight, does anyone have any suggestions for that? Basically right now we are planning on going with nothing set in stone as of yet, other than hitting Shedd! TIA

I think hitting both the Shedd and the museum in one day would be too much. What I would suggest is that you go to Hot Dougs for an early lunch - then hit the Shedd up after that. Buy your Shedd tickets in advance online, that way you walk right in - otherwise, there will be a big line.

Hot Doug's is the #1 hot doug place in the world and made Anthony Bourdain's list of 15 restaurants you must go to before you die (worldwide). HD opens at 10:30 but if you're going on a Saturday, you should be there by 9:50 to avoid a 2 hour wait. You will wait about 45 minutes but it's goddamn worth it if you ask me and a million other people. Order something from his specialty menu for you and the wife - get the kids 'normal' dogs. Here's the link to his specialty menu (you can access the regular menu by clicking the 'menu' link). If it wasn't worth it, I wouldn't suggest it. Keep in mind, his 'specialty' dogs change weekly, so there will be a different selection when you're in town:

http://hotdougs.com/specials.htm

museum of science and industry is pretty good, too. take 'em to a cubs game if you can swing it....or to a white sox game if everyone has body armor.

I go to the Museum of Science and Industry with my 7th grade students every year (in two weeks), so unless they have a good traveling exhibit I will pass on that. The Cubs are out of town, and it would probably be hard for them in early April outdoors in Chicago. I don't know how long but I am thinking we leave one morning, stay overnight, and leave late the next day, so I probably need just two things (with the aquarium being one of them).

I go to the Museum of Science and Industry with my 7th grade students every year (in two weeks), so unless they have a good traveling exhibit I will pass on that. The Cubs are out of town, and it would probably be hard for them in early April outdoors in Chicago. I don't know how long but I am thinking we leave one morning, stay overnight, and leave late the next day, so I probably need just two things (with the aquarium being one of them).

do the aquarium, planetarium, and navy pier(childrens museum). all within walking distance.

The Cubs are out of town, and it would probably be hard for them in early April outdoors in Chicago. I don't know how long but I am thinking we leave one morning, stay overnight, and leave late the next day, so I probably need just two things (with the aquarium being one of them).

Obviously a baseball game isn't on the agenda anyway, but NEVER rule out stuff in the spring due to weather - it's as likely to be a beautiful, sunny, 60+ degree day as it is to be a blustery, 30 degree nightmare.

Well, maybe not AS likely but it isn't the strangest thing to happen; here in Milwaukee, we have the St Patty's Day parades the weekend before St Patty's, and the weather has ranged from mid-30s with a biting wind and snow flurries to 60-some degrees and just gorgeous. Usually more towards the former, but the latter isn't all that rare.

So don't ELIMINATE something due to weather-related concerns, but make sure you have a good plan B in your back pocket just in case.

Edited by Chavez

Obviously a baseball game isn't on the agenda anyway, but NEVER rule out stuff in the spring due to weather - it's as likely to be a beautiful, sunny, 60+ degree day as it is to be a blustery, 30 degree nightmare.

Well, maybe not AS likely but it isn't the strangest thing to happen; here in Milwaukee, we have the St Patty's Day parades the weekend before St Patty's, and the weather has ranged from mid-30s with a biting wind and snow flurries to 60-some degrees and just gorgeous. Usually more towards the former, but the latter isn't all that rare.

So don't ELIMINATE something due to weather-related concerns, but make sure you have a good plan B in your back pocket just in case.

Very good info here. Never count on anything weather wise in Chicago in the spring!