[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More gov't idiocy

westvirginia

TOY guns, that is...:wacko:

CORNELIUS, Ore. - A local business owner is flabbergasted after a shipment of 30 toy guns for his store was confiscated by ATF agents in Tacoma.

Brad Martin and his son, Ben, sell the Airsoft BB guns from their store in Cornelius where they’ve been in business for seven years.

The Martins said they buy their stock from Taiwan because the merchandise is less expensive. But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives seized a shipment of 30 in October. That shipment is worth around $12,000 and the ATF is promising to destroy the entire shipment.

So these BBs are $400 apiece? :wacko:

Edit: And I'll open the book on blaming Obama at post #4

I guess so. I've seen some very detailed airsofts at $100, but $400 is a little steep.

There was a court case a while back where a guy used a paper clip and a shoestring to make a gun fire full auto. I would think this would be way more dangerous than some plastic toy.

I guess so. I've seen some very detailed airsofts at $100, but $400 is a little steep.

There was a court case a while back where a guy used a paper clip and a shoestring to make a gun fire full auto. I would think this would be way more dangerous than some plastic toy.

So we should start seizing paper clips and shoestrings? :wacko:

$400 pellet guns are more expensive than a lot of REAL guns . .:D Nice to see the ATF has the priorities straight . .

I've seen an FN turned into full auto by the judicious application of a piece of silver paper from a cigarette pack. The only requirement is to prevent the block from locking while maintaining full gas pressure.

There are some pretty high end airsoft guns these days. My buddy bought one for his son this past Christmas - a full auto, high power job for about $350.

Glad to see the BATF on the job conifcating toys. :wacko: That entire agency should be disbanded.

What's that bumper sticker??? "Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency."

There are some pretty high end airsoft guns these days. My buddy bought one for his son this past Christmas - a full auto, high power job for about $350.

Glad to see the BATF on the job conifcating toys. :wacko: That entire agency should be disbanded.

What's that bumper sticker??? "Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency."

F-troop. A disparaging moniker never fit a fedgov agency so well...

I didn't read the linked article - only what you pasted - but why destroy them? I can see the ATF being a little too careful and making a mistake like this - but return the guns, apologize and buy them a gift card to bennigans

Ask someone like yomama who deals with fedgov on an ongoing basis. It's not their money, but it is their pride... Then they look even stupider trying to rationalize the initial idiocy.

Ask someone like yomama who deals with fedgov on an ongoing basis. It's not their money, but it is their pride... Then they look even stupider trying to rationalize the initial idiocy.

Bureaucrats follow procedures. Most people who do well in that environment learn to follow procedures. Some guy probably had a TSP report saying the guns had to be destroyed, so the guns got destroyed. I'll guarantee not a lot of thinking went into it, even if the Fed agent personally disagreed with the procedure he was following. Because bureaucrats follow procedures.

But it beats the alternative. Do you really want results to vary from federal agent to federal agent? That'd be crazy. er.

Edited by yo mama

From the article:

Special Agent Kelvin Crenshaw said the toys can be easily retro-fitted into dangerous weapons.

"With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun," Crenshaw said.

Seems a little far fetched as my understanding is that these guns are made of plastic but who knows? :wacko: