[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fox's top 20 WW II flicks

BeeR

...their top 20 did not include Patton. :wacko: Which is IMO the greatest WW II flick ever. Lot of other good ones in there but what were they smoking when they made that omission? It'd be like discussing top 20 westerns and leaving out Josey Wales or Liberty Valance.

Here's their top 20 and 10 more readers suggested they add:

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertain...time?test=faces

Although at least they left out Casablanca, which was a bonehead readers' addition. wth, that's not a "war movie" just because WW II is a general backdrop.

Edited by BeeR

Hmmm, just to list (so I remember, been drinking 9% ABV beer tonight):

SPR

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Full Metal Jacket

All Quiet on the Western Front

M*A*S*H

Letters From Iwo Jima

The Dirty Dozen

Glory

The Hurt Locker

A Bridge Too Far

Platoon

Das Boot

Black Hawk Down

Sgt York

The Deer Hunter

Paths of Glory

Apocalypse Now!

The Longest Day

Schindler's List

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Patton

The Great Escape

Midway

The Green Berets

Kelly's Heroes

The Patriot

Hamburger Hill

Casablanca

We Were Soldier

Sands of Iwo Jima

-M*A*S*H

-Kelly's Heroes

I'm really surprised Fox News threw these on, because M*A*S*H is unabashedly liberal - I have a hard time really calling it a "war movie" (much like Casablanca - WW II is a major plot point but I'm not sure it quite qualifies as a "war movie"; it DOES qualify as f*cking awesome however you want to categorize it) but it is most definitely NOT right-wing.

I think Kelly's Heroes is terrific entertainment, but it lacks gravitas.

-The Hurt Locker

Wanted to like this movie a lot more than I did, and I liked it pretty well. We'll see where it is in a few years.

-A Bridge Too Far

Perennially underloved. I've always personally felt Market Garden was a trainwreck that resulted from the Allied brass getting an itchy trigger finger.

- The Bridge on the River Kwai

If we're talking David Lean, I think Lawrence of Arabia is the better movie in all ways, and still a war movie (WW I, but nonetheless).

-The Patriot

Utter crap. Complete garbage. Manipulative horsepoopy.

-Hamburger Hill

For my dollar, the best of the 'Nam movies. Well, aside from Apocalypse Now! which is admittedly over-indulgent and bloated but still has enough true genius to overcome its flaws.

-Casablanca

Fun fact - a TON of the actors were Europeans who fled Europe to escape the Nazis. So, isn't this scene even cooler than it was in the first place? (correct answer - yes)

-We Were Soldiers

Probably as crassly manipulative as The Patriot (big shock, since almost all of the same principals were involved) but works a lot better.

Notable misses -

- Downfall - I realize I sound like a broken record, but if your only exposure to this film has been through the ubiquitous "Downfall parodies", rectify it immediately. If your lips get tired from reading the subtitles, pause the DVD.

- Joyeux Noel - WW I film about the famous "Christmas Eve" armistice imposed from the bottom up - well, not really from the bottom up, since the rank-and-file's superiors didn't find out about it until weeks afterward. Clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5iDz8Ul_AQ (adding - dammit, "O Come All Ye Faithful" at about 6 minutes is making me weepy)

- Zwartboek (Black Book) - Paul Verhoeven directed this merciless film about the Dutch Resistance. HIGHLY recommended.

Honorable mention to Band of Brothers. Not a film but insanely good. For my money possibly the best non-news program ever aired on TV.

Is Hamburger Hill a remake of a movie same name set in WW II? I remember watching it in 65-66 on TV and numerous times after.

Not familiar with WW II movie called Hamburger Hill; I recall a pretty good Korean War film called Pork Chop Hill which was pretty similar thematically.

Also, regarding M*A*S*H and Casablanca - I thought about that last night and they are definitely "war" movies; I was just thinking of war movies = COMBAT movies. Which isn't necessarily so; even more embarrassing is that I included non-combat movies like Downfall and Black Book. :wacko:

Also, two more films that work as companion pieces are Twelve O'Clock High and Memphis Belle. Both good stuff - one takes place on the ground, the other in the air, both are about the daylight bombing campaign over Europe.

Hmmm, just to list (so I remember, been drinking 9% ABV beer tonight):

SPR

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Full Metal Jacket

All Quiet on the Western Front

M*A*S*H

Letters From Iwo Jima

The Dirty Dozen

Glory

The Hurt Locker

A Bridge Too Far

Platoon

Das Boot

Black Hawk Down

Sgt York

The Deer Hunter

Paths of Glory

Apocalypse Now!

The Longest Day

Schindler's List

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Patton

The Great Escape

Midway

The Green Berets

Kelly's Heroes

The Patriot

Hamburger Hill

Casablanca

We Were Soldier

Sands of Iwo Jima

You have a lot of movies in there that had nothing to do with WWII. All good war movies to be sure.... but.....

Not familiar with WW II movie called Hamburger Hill; I recall a pretty good Korean War film called Pork Chop Hill which was pretty similar thematically.

That's it Pork Chop Hill, I knew it was one of those hills. The few living brain cells don't always make a good connection.