[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Of Moles and Mice and Men and Cats

bushwacked

I have an awesome cat that has irradiated the mole population in our neighborhood over the last 2 years. Waking up in the morning with an assortment of dead moles on the porch made me feel good about having the little fur ball for a pet. Each adjacent neighbor has moved in over the last year and they have no idea how much they owe me in lawn beautification fees.

Fast forward to last week and I think I see a mouse darting around in my garage. I rationalize it away as my eyes playing a trick on me, but when I returned home from 4th of July celebration in central WA, my wife finds a mouse stuck in an empty cardboard box in the stash headed for the bi-weekly recycle pick up. I bring it to the curbside and dump it to freedom while my son and 3 of his friends observe it's scurry to freedom for a half hour. My son warns his playmates about diseases because he watches Billy the Exterminator. I realize putting recyclables with food remnants in my garage in the one place my cat doesn't hang out was a tactical error.

Wednesday afternoon I straightened out a cluttered corner in our garage and ran to the dump to drop off some stuff. On they way home I purchase a couple of those stick um trap pads for mice and put a dollop of peanut butter on them in the strategically placed areas (i.e...the garage) . Neighbor came over after dinner and we started drinking Coors Heavy in the garage. After my 2nd beer I kind of wonder what the continual noise around my peanut butter trap might be. Of course it's another mouse (bigger than the first) trying to eat its way off the sticky pad. I enjoy my wife freaking on this stuff so I go upstairs to get her. By the time she gets to the garage steps (and refuses to look) I notice a 2nd mouse on the sticky pad.

The big mouse starts giving it the old college try to escape and starts to successfully scurry under the freezer chest with smaller mouse and trap in tow. I grab the 12 gauge and mention how I wish we were out in the county. Neighbor laughs and steps on trap which gets stuck on his shoe. He starts one legged hoping it out the garage and I pry the trap and 2 mice off his shoe with a screwdriver. I use a shovel edge to decapitate each mouse before throwing away. Minutes later, my neighbor then mentions how I should set more traps because he saw another one scurrying around in the garage. The 2nd trap has been empty for the last 2 hours. The remaining mice are pretty smart.

When I leave tomorrow morning for the weekend will my cat die of heat exhaustion if I lock it in the garage for 72 hours with 95 degree temps?

Edited by bushwacked

When I leave tomorrow morning for the weekend will my cat die of heat exhaustion if I lock it in the garage for 72 hours with 95 degree temps?

Yes. Especially since he's radioactive. :wacko:

I have an awesome cat that has irradiated the mole population in our neighborhood over the last 2 years.

Sneaky cat. Making all the moles sterile.

Edited by BiggieFries

2nd sticky trap isn't where it was last night and now I have a 2 hour teleconference.

Found 2nd trap with mouse stuck on but the little Penny Laneer grabbed onto the freezer and wrangled free before decapitation time. Leaving a bag of grass seed in my garage was also a tactical error.