[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about Dogs and Bones

Footballjoe

My understanding is that you should not give a dog any cooked bones as they can splinter. I used to give my dogs all sorts of leftover bones until my little choked one time. Now I do still give them a nice tbone but that is about it.

I once gave my Miniature Pinscher one of these cow femur bones ...she absolutely loved it but after tearing it up for a few days I took her for a walk and when she crapped it looked very odd so I poked it with a stick and it was 100% powder :wacko: she crapped like that for a couple more days and suffice it to say but I haven't ever given her large bones like that anymore but I will give her a t-bone when I have a steak

My understanding is that you should not give a dog any cooked bones as they can splinter. I used to give my dogs all sorts of leftover bones until my little choked one time. Now I do still give them a nice tbone but that is about it.

Troof!

Uncooked large bones (knee joints, femurs, etc.).

Cooked bones are brittle and can splinter. Exception...the thick round bone in a pot roast w/ the marrow. Problem is we can't get those anymore, not even from a butcher! :wacko:

I actually know quite a bit about this.

1) NEVER give any pet any bone that has ever been cooked. EVER.

2) Your dog, regardless of size, can eat any bone in any animal ... as long as it hasn't been cooked. Cow = ok. Chicken = ok. Lamb = ok. Fish = ok. Rabbit = ok. ...etc...

3) Eating raw bones is VERY healthy for your dog; its a phenomenal source for calcium, glucosamine, controitin, etc. for their bones and connective tissue.

As many others noted, they will splinter and can get caught in the dogs throat, shredding their esophagus. Possibly leading to a dead animal at worst, discomfort for days/weeks when swallowing at best.

As many others noted, they will splinter and can get caught in the dogs throat, shredding their esophagus. Possibly leading to a dead animal at worst, discomfort for days/weeks when swallowing at best.

Agree! My exception was those thick pot roast bones, but even those need watching. Once they have no marrow or meat...trash 'em!

The only bones that seem to last more then a week or two with my dogs (even after constant chewing) are the whiteish, cleaned dog bones from the store. I had always presumes that they had been boiled or otherwise cooked to get everything off of them. Is that not the case?

Anyways for my two doodles, large knuckles or the large femur with the ends with bits of meat and sinew still on are their favorites.