[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Continuing Education Is Important.

Perchoutofwater

Do you have to write an essay on why it's more difficult and challenging to ride to the grocery store to buy meat than it is to sit on your air-conditioned, insulated porch and kill something that wanders by?

No, but I do get to build a gun that according to everyone that I know that has taken the class is more accurate than anything you can buy off the self. I know one guy that has taken the class 5 times just so that he can have use of their equipment to build guns.

• 2 months later...

I picked up a Jerry K98 for the action last week. Just ordered a Douglas Premium Air-Gaged Tolerance .30 caliber #5 barrel. I also order a Timney Featherweight trigger that is adjustable form 1 1/2lbs to 4 lbs, and a Timney Buehler-style low-swing safety. I'm having a hard time deciding what stock I want to purchase. I think I've narrowed it down to two. I'm not trying to make a pretty gun, I'm trying to make an accurate gun that is as rugged as it can be.

What are y'alls thoughts on bluing versus parkerizing?

Here are the two stocks I'm looking at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=154553

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=383507

Without that gigantic carrot, how many police officers will stick with what is a horrible job?

Sounds fun, Perch - be sure to post pics of your finished product and the groups she prints.

There are a ton of options out there as far as stocks go. If you're building a tack driver, spend the money and get a nice fiberglass or kevlar stock with a thumbhole.

If you are just building an ugly brute, parkerizing is fine. I'd condsider getting it dipped too - not expensive and you can do about any camo pattern you want or a myriad of crazy colors. Before I left Uah, you could get a centerfire rifle dipped for about $85.

I :heart: Timney triggers.

Sounds fun, Perch - be sure to post pics of your finished product and the groups she prints.

There are a ton of options out there as far as stocks go. If you're building a tack driver, spend the money and get a nice fiberglass or kevlar stock with a thumbhole.

If you are just building an ugly brute, parkerizing is fine. I'd condsider getting it dipped too - not expensive and you can do about any camo pattern you want or a myriad of crazy colors. Before I left Uah, you could get a centerfire rifle dipped for about $85.

I :heart: Timney triggers.

I'll post plenty of pics. A buddy of mine built a .25-06 that is shooting groupings of 5 within .675" at 200 yards. I'm going to build a .30-06 simply because I already have one, and when I finally get around to reloading it will make things easier. I probably would have built a .270WSM but the old k98 won't accept a magnum of any kind with out a whole hell of a lot of work.

ETA: Good call on getting it dipped, I hadn't even thought of that. I can blue or parkerize at the college they have the tanks. I may be able to buy a dipping kit and do it myself. If not I'll find someone to do it. I thank you for your suggestion, my wife cusses you.

Edited by Perchoutofwater