[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

change

dmarc117

Spanish newspaper El Mundo detailed the Obamas' dinner on their first night in Spain. The tapas menu for the delegation included sea bass tartare, strawberry gazpacho and sardines, followed by a main course of lobster with seaweed risotto.

The meal cost about £40 a head, according to El Mundo - which means a bill topping £1,600 would have hit the table if all 40 friends dined together.

Stretched over five nights that's £8,000 for dinner alone.

Whether or not the taxpaying American will be paying for meals, they will definitely be footing the bill for the First Lady's 68-strong security detail, her personal staff - and the use of presidential jet Air Force Two.

The per diems for the secret service team runs at around £172 each, which amounts to nearly £60,000 for the length of the summer break.

Use of Air Force Two, the Air Force version of a 757, comes in at £91,900 for the round trip. This does not include time on the ground.

Mrs Obama's personal staff, of which there are an unknown amount and who might cost considerably more per day, also have to be taken into account.

The American public will also cover the cost of the only official part of the holiday, a visit to the Spanish royal family on the island of Majorca.

This will involve transport there and back for the entourage - as well as travel, accommodation, food and expenses for all while on the island.

Conservative estimates already put the total cost at £150,000. With Majorca to come, the bill will be more like £250,000.

Back in the U.S., anger was mounting - especially as it has emerged the First Lady will have enjoyed eight holidays by the end of the summer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...l#ixzz0vr2EAyVO

So what's it mean? How does it compare? I'll admit, it sounds like she thinks that she's arrogant royalty instead of an unpaid adjunct to her husband, but if that's pretty typical first lady behavior, then people should just STPHU.

So what's it mean? How does it compare? I'll admit, it sounds like she thinks that she's arrogant royalty instead of an unpaid adjunct to her husband, but if that's pretty typical first lady behavior, then people should just STPHU.

Yep. Nothing to see here.

I am shocked with all the legitimate things people could say about the current admin, stupi stories like this continue to get posted. :wacko:

I don't get it. Hasn't stuff like this always happened? I thought it was part of the game...just more pronounced when the person with the pen is not in favor of who is doing it.

Edited for having to type this for myself since my typist is whining about some amputation

Edited by CarryTheRock

My only question is this... The "personal" parts of the trip were paid for by the Obama's and FAMILY FRIENDS... If others are paying for any part of this trip does that have to be disclosed under campaign finance rules? Or, can these "friends" just arbitrarily pay for, oh, say a new Cartier watch for Ms. Obama, maybe buy her a new Mercedes, a fur coat, a couple of purses and a few pieces of diamond jewelry without any of this falling under "gifting" rules for politicians?

Beyond that, every first lady that has ever taken a trip like this has had just as nice of accommodations, meals, hotel rooms, etc...

My only question is this... The "personal" parts of the trip were paid for by the Obama's and FAMILY FRIENDS... If others are paying for any part of this trip does that have to be disclosed under campaign finance rules? Or, can these "friends" just arbitrarily pay for, oh, say a new Cartier watch for Ms. Obama, maybe buy her a new Mercedes, a fur coat, a couple of purses and a few pieces of diamond jewelry without any of this falling under "gifting" rules for politicians?

Beyond that, every first lady that has ever taken a trip like this has had just as nice of accommodations, meals, hotel rooms, etc...

It was my understanding that each friend simply paid their own way just as any Joe Schmoe would have to.

It was my understanding that each friend simply paid their own way just as any Joe Schmoe would have to.

Then I have no issues with it...