[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bereavement Leave

keggerz

The County I work for gives 3 days for immediate family (including inlaws and stepparents) which I think is pretty much the norm.

Was shocked to find out that the law firm my wife works for only covers mothers, fathers, brothers & sisters but no inlaws or stepparents...but she does also get 3 days for those that it covers.

Just curious to see what the norm is.

Edited by keggerz

The County I work for gives 3 days for immediate family (including inlaws and stepparents) which I think is pretty much the norm.

Was shocked to find out that the law firm my wife works for only covers mothers, fathers, brothers & sisters but no inlaws or stepparents...but she does also get 3 days for those that it covers.

3 days for immediate family, 1 day for non-immediate family.

We used to have 4 days for someone with whom you had "a long, close and endearing relationship" and it worked beautifully for a handful of years, so if your neighbor raised you instead of your momma, and your neighbor died, you got the time -- it was between you and your manager and people respectfully used good judgement ... But, eventually, there were enough suspected abuses of it and our culture was dragged closer to black and white world and we instituted the list of who counted and who didn't among direct family and inlaws. Still a very nice benefit, but not nearly as personal as it was.

Same requirements but only TWO days. :wacko:

I guess that bereavement leave isn't as consistent among companies as I would have thought....

unfortunately, I had to use some last week as my stepmom (62 yo) suddenly passed away...she suffered a brain aneurysm and the doctor

assured my father that she didn't suffer...once she was declared officially brain dead she was kept on life support for a very brief amount of time (to allow her son who was stationed overseas for the Army to make it to the hospital to "say goodbye" since he hadn't seen her in 2 years)...my dad (63 yo) is still so very saddened and I wish I could have spent more time with him instead of having to return to work...he is currently an unemployed operating engineer and now isn't sure if he wants to go back to work or just retire...so I don't know if it is good for him to have more time to grieve instead of returning to work to stay busy or not.

Edited by keggerz

I guess that bereavement leave isn't as consistent among companies as I would have thought....

unfortunately, I had to use some last week as my stepmom (62 yo) suddenly passed away...she suffered a brain aneurysm and the doctor

assured my father that she didn't suffer...once she was declared officially brain dead she was kept on life support for a very brief amount of time (to allow her son who was stationed overseas for the Army to make it to the hospital to "say goodbye" since he hadn't seen her in 2 years)...my dad (63 yo) is still so very saddened and I wish I could have spent more time with him instead of having to return to work...he is currently an unemployed operating engineer and now isn't sure if he wants to go back to work or just retire...so I don't know if it is good for him to have more time to grieve instead of returning to work to stay busy or not.

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Keg. My family sends their condolences.

Add my condolences keg.

Edited by The Holy Roller

Add my condolences keg.

1) I'm sorry for your family's loss.

2) This is an interesting topic as I'm in the middle of negotiating an employment contract right now, and bereavement isn't addressed anywhere (yet).

Thanks to both of you for your condolences.