[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some job-screening tactics challenged as illegal

TimC

We do not check credit scores, but we check criminal histories on all potential hires. If they committed a violent crime of any kind they are automatically turned down. If they have any drug convictions they will not be hired for any position that requires them to use equipment other than small hand tools. If they have any type of theft charge they are automatically turned down, as I can't abide a thief.

I agree with this. Nothing destroys morale in a group like a thief. Any drug conviction is bad news in any job involving safety or machinery and no-one needs violent people in the workplace.

I came across a guy who works for a very big household name company a while back who said some departments in said company automatically filter out resumes from ex-military personnel. After I'd finished calling him and his stinking company a set of filthy turds, I pointed out it's actually illegal under the USERRA. Useless bastard, he was.

My wife's told me that they had 6 people apply for a position that doesn't have anything to do with collecting money, just billing.

There are 3 checkpoints on this job, person prepares bill, person collects bill, 3rd person makes sure it was billed correctly and paid correctly.

They were hiring for the person who prepares the bill.

1 had bankruptcy 4 years ago.

4 had a few 30 day lates on their reports within the last 2 years.

Last one had clean credit (wife said it was clean because they didn't have any credit) and was the only one who had no experience other then fast food.

Guess who got the job?

My wife was pretty upset as she said the person with the bankruptcy 4 years ago had lots of experience and even told the people that her bankruptcy was after her husband took off.

Doesn't seem like a good way to run a business.

It is a private company, in many cases run by an owner, he/she/it should be able to make whatever hiring decisions they wish. It is their money that is used to pay you and they should be able to set the guidelines for who they feel appropriately represents the principles of the company.

Therefore, with your logic a private school can discriminate for admissions or your private company can only hire Caucasians! Very slippery slope and what is causing issues in America, we cannot pick and choose how to treat everyone fairly. I know I cannot convince you otherwise, but that is a narrow and unfair viewpoint. Then again if it is an unwritten rule, hard to prove...

Therefore, with your logic a private school can discriminate for admissions or your private company can only hire Caucasians! Very slippery slope and what is causing issues in America, we cannot pick and choose how to treat everyone fairly. I know I cannot convince you otherwise, but that is a narrow and unfair viewpoint. Then again if it is an unwritten rule, hard to prove...

There is a private "christian" school right down the street from my office that will not accept anyone that is of the LDS, Jewish, or Muslim faiths. It is their prerogative. It used to be one of the top private schools in town, but because of that decision the private "christian" school across town that accepts all, but requires the students to have 30 minutes of nondenominational christian chapel for lack of a better word has doubled it in size in just under 10 years and now is the best because it can afford to hire the better teachers.

i hate racism and discrimination. i hate affirmative action and quotas even more.

Certainly. Private clubs, for the most part, can discriminate based on gender, color, etc... What should be the difference between schools and jobs (the difference typically is that it may be considered, to an extent, a "public" place if it has interactions/events that the public is invited to)? The most "worthy" applicant doesn't always get into the school if a legacy has already taken that spot. Is it discrimination against all of the "more qualified" applicants if the legacy takes the spot of one of these people regardless of skin color? Further, then, should affirmative action/racial quotas be done away with? How is my POV any more unfair than affirmative action or racial quotas?

I could choose not to hire a person because they smoke, but I can't not hire someone who is obese or has a physical handicap, why are smokers not protected? Would you have the same perception of me as being "unfair" if I told you I refused to hire someone who smoked? Probably not, but for some reason I am an awful bigot if I choose not to hire someone because they have a criminal record or past bankruptcies...

I don't know. Should a private school that discriminates have public accreditation? Without that, you're not really a real school.

no but they dont have to ... many have no special ed services etc. its easy to run a school that has only top notch kiddies.