[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Bow Hunters out there?

Perchoutofwater

What do you use? I'm looking at getting into it, but know next to nothing about the equipment. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. I've got a $1,000 budget for the bow, sights, shafts, heads, target, soft case, etc... I was considering a crossbow, but have since changed my mind and want to go with a compound bow instead due to all that I've read.

What do you use? I'm looking at getting into it, but know next to nothing about the equipment. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. I've got a $1,000 budget for the bow, sights, shafts, heads, target, soft case, etc... I was considering a crossbow, but have since changed my mind and want to go with a compound bow instead due to all that I've read.

I haven't shot a bow in years. I have a PSE compuond bow, they probably don't make the model any more. It shot great, when compared to a Bear that my buddy had. Very smooth pull to it.

I would pull around 70 lbs on it and that would allow me to hold it, site it, and release without much strain. Very important to get the proper weight on the pull. From what I understand, really anything over 60 lbs is good enough for deer.

linky

Edited by SEC=UGA

I haven't shot a bow in years. I have a PSE compuond bow, they probably don't make the model any more. It shot great, when compared to a Bear that my buddy had. Very smooth pull to it.

I would pull around 70 lbs on it and that would allow me to hold it, site it, and release without much strain. Very important to get the proper weight on the pull. From what I understand, really anything over 60 lbs is good enough for deer.

linky

Our company safety guy shoots competitively for PSE. He is actually the Texas state champion in several events and holds several state records and was an olympic alternate at one time. He's trying to talk me into the Bow Madness XL, but since PSE sponsors him, I'm not sure how impartial he is.

Our company safety guy shoots competitively for PSE. He is actually the Texas state champion in several events and holds several state records and was an olympic alternate at one time. He's trying to talk me into the Bow Madness XL, but since PSE sponsors him, I'm not sure how impartial he is.

Though I am far from an expert, it is my understanding that PSE makes one of the better bows, so I'm don't think he is blowing smoke. I've never shot one, but supposedly Hoyt is another very good option. Best way to find out, and I'd do tis before I bought, would be to go to a bow shop and try out a few different brands. Also, try different pull weights to find out what is most comfortable for you. A buddy of mine that goes about 6'2", 235 was much more accurate with 60 lbs than my 70 lbs (I go about 170/180).

Perch, you're progressing nicely, I must admit. First it was chicken-crap guns that any fool can use to kill something, now it's bows that take alot of skill. Soon, you will finally progress, my young padowin, to choking the life out of your prey with your bare hands. And when you are ready to be called Master, you will have attained the power and knowledge to force the creature you wish to hunt to kill himself with nothing but your thoughts. There is nothing finer in life than watching a deer grab the nearest vine,wrap it around his own neck and jump off the tree limb.

Perch, you're progressing nicely, I must admit. First it was chicken-crap guns that any fool can use to kill something, now it's bows that take alot of skill. Soon, you will finally progress, my young padowin, to choking the life out of your prey with your bare hands. And when you are ready to be called Master, you will have attained the power and knowledge to force the creature you wish to hunt to kill himself with nothing but your thoughts. There is nothing finer in life than watching a deer grab the nearest vine,wrap it around his own neck and jump off the tree limb.

these are not the deer you are looking for

As a PSE owner I have nothing but good things to say about their bows. I bought mine used for about $300-400, so it's not even one of the really nice ones, but man, does it do the job well. My cousin actually bought a brand new Walmart bow at the same time/price, and his didn't even make it more through the season before simply breaking.

If you have $1000 budget, you should be able to get a really nice setup. I'm sure there are some other good brands, but I'm just one more person that will tell you, you can't go wrong with a PSE.

Do you have a good place to practice with it? For starters, there are guys who lift 50 pound bags of feed all day, who still can't pull back a bow at first without them lowering the pull. With practice though, you'll strengthen those muscles you've probably never used before.

Also, aim is a real bitch when compensating for distance. A slight angle change can cause an arrow that should drop to the distant target to go well off-target, even off to the side.

Good luck. Other than Turkey hunting, there is not quite another thrill quite like taking a deer with a primitive weapon. Then if you really want a challenge, try a straight or recurve bow.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot the bow for the first time this morning. The thing is sweet. Unfortunately the head receiver was not glued into the shafts properly so I had to cut my first practice session way short. I'll have the problem corrected in a couple of hours and be back out at the archery range this afternoon. I was shocked at how quite it was, and how little recoil there is. I was setting the pins on the sight, and I'm already dead nut horizontally. I'm still shooting a little low vertically, but hope to have the sight adjusted by this afternoon, and be ready to really practice on my form. Man this is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and much easier as well.

Shot the bow for the first time this morning. The thing is sweet. Unfortunately the head receiver was not glued into the shafts properly so I had to cut my first practice session way short. I'll have the problem corrected in a couple of hours and be back out at the archery range this afternoon. I was shocked at how quite it was, and how little recoil there is. I was setting the pins on the sight, and I'm already dead nut horizontally. I'm still shooting a little low vertically, but hope to have the sight adjusted by this afternoon, and be ready to really practice on my form. Man this is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and much easier as well.

:wacko:

that's pretty damn funny :wacko:

:wacko: 3 weeks from tomorrow is the archery opener in Pa. :tup:

Welcome to the stick n string club. Good luck with the pse, I still have my first , and it's still deadly. If you get the opportunity try shooting a mathews.

You should see alot more deer than you do during rifle season , and alot closer in.

Practicing with broadheads and not fieldpoints for season , right ? , What accy. did you end up with ?

Edited by Front Row

That's trouble.

Welcome to the club! :wacko:

Just got back from setting up a tripod at the deer lease. All I can say is me so horny, me so horny, me so horny, me love you long time. You might check out the rest of the album. The tripod is just set up is 20 yards off to the right of the little bush in front of the camera. I'm hitting vitals 4 out of 4 shots at 30 yards right now and 3 out of 4 at 40.

Just got back from setting up a tripod at the deer lease. All I can say is me so horny, me so horny, me so horny, me love you long time. You might check out the rest of the album. The tripod is just set up is 20 yards off to the right of the little bush in front of the camera. I'm hitting vitals 4 out of 4 shots at 30 yards right now and 3 out of 4 at 40.

THose are some big ass deer, there. Our deer should feel inferior.

Whoa :wacko:

(whats with the pigs?)

Whoa :wacko:

(whats with the pigs?)

Feral pigs are becoming a big problem in Texas. They reproduce like crazy. I had to shoot one at my house last year. Out at the deer lease if we see them we shoot them, then poison them and leave them for the coyotes.

Feral pigs are becoming a big problem in Texas. They reproduce like crazy. I had to shoot one at my house last year. Out at the deer lease if we see them we shoot them, then poison them and leave them for the coyotes.

I had one tree me on to the hood of a rental car in a Tucson parking lot... didn't know they had those things out there.