[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

getting a new tv

chester

Do you have the option to go with a projector? I just put a new 1080p projector in and am wondering why I didn't do this sooner.

ETA: I just reread the thread and saw a few others had already asked/recommended that as well...

Edited by myhousekey

+1

My first HDTV was a 40" Samsung LCD. It's been great, but a about a year ago I bought a 720P 50" Panasonic plasma and I love it (especially since it only cost $830 for a 50" and at my seating distance I can't tell the difference between 720P and 1080P). I've really never had any image retention/burn in. I just use the TV like normal (although my PS3 is on the LCD projector downstairs so I haven't tried gaming on it). The only thing to note about Plasmas is that you do get some reflection off the glass so if you do have tons of windows behind your viewing area, you might want to look at LCD closer if you have glare concerns. Ours is above our fire place and we don't really have any problems.

ETA, buy wallmounts and cables from Monoprice (dot) com.

definitely - monoprice, but one point I'd like to add for anyone looking to get a plasma - you have to break the TV in for the 1st 100 hours of viewing before calibrating the set...

you can find optimal settings on avsforum(dot)com or purchase a Blu-ray/DVD that helps you calibrate yourself...

definitely - monoprice, but one point I'd like to add for anyone looking to get a plasma - you have to break the TV in for the 1st 100 hours of viewing before calibrating the set...

When I bought my Panasonc Plasma, I found a free downloadable DVD online that was basically different colors shown on the screen for about 10 seconds at a time. I ran the DVD everynight while I slept for about the first week. I'm still not sure it was 100% necessary but figured better safe than sorry.

When I bought my Panasonc Plasma, I found a free downloadable DVD online that was basically different colors shown on the screen for about 10 seconds at a time. I ran the DVD everynight while I slept for about the first week. I'm still not sure it was 100% necessary but figured better safe than sorry.

Never did any of that and my 50" Samsung Plasma is just fine. Most mfg. don't even recommend you do that as it is (apparently) not really an issue anymore.

Edited by tosberg34

Never did any of that and my 50" Samsung Plasma is just fine. Most mfg. don't even recommend you do that as it is (apparently) not really an issue anymore.

I don't think this is correct. Professional calibrators insist you do this. Why wouldn't a mfg recommend doing it?

It is a known fact that for Plasma TVs the picture does change slightly within the first 100 hours and then the change is less progressive after that but it does change over time. It would be silly to calibrate a TV before doing this simple task.

If you do not plan on calibrating the TV, then this entire conversation is irrelevant.

Also, don't get suckered in by the $100 HD cables. They either work or they don't - there is no gray area .You can buy'em for $6 to $10 bucks online at monoprice.com.

Careful - all 3 of the monoprice cables I purchased have been replaced due to poor performance or failure.

I don't think this is correct. Professional calibrators insist you do this. Why wouldn't a mfg recommend doing it?

It is a known fact that for Plasma TVs the picture does change slightly within the first 100 hours and then the change is less progressive after that but it does change over time. It would be silly to calibrate a TV before doing this simple task.

If you do not plan on calibrating the TV, then this entire conversation is irrelevant.

From Samsung:

What is break-in?

Break-In is the time period from when a Plasma set is brand new until the plasma phosphors have aged (or hardened), to a point where it is less susceptible to image retention (IR). Phosphors are their "hottest" when new. You may notice when passing by a new plasma set that it gives off a lot of heat but runs cooler after 100 or so hours of use. During this break-in period, burn-in can occur more easily.

Opposing View on Break-In: Not all plasma owners believe a break-in period is necessary for the later generations of Samsung plasma sets. The Samsung factory supports this view. Samsung's Support FAQ, as of 2007, states: "Samsung Plasma TVs do not require a break-in period." There has been much concern and confusion over this issue because both Pioneer and Panasonic published documents as late as 2004 stating their plasma sets required 1,000 hours of break-in. As of 2007, no plasma manufacturers suggest their sets require break-in. Some owners see this as good news, while some market analysts believe as plasmas continue to lose market share to LCD's, plasma manufacturers are no longer pointing out areas of concern that could impact sales. NET: Use your own best judgment.

Edited by tosberg34

Careful - all 3 of the monoprice cables I purchased have been replaced due to poor performance or failure.

I've cabled 3 homes using nothing but monoprice never had a cable go bad. Their electronics on the other hand, I try to stay away from. Their electronics are pretty much hit or miss from what I see, but the price is so cheap maybe it is worth trying them.

I will not buy cables anywhere else. Sorry to hear you had 3 go bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than starting a new thread I'm going to ask a question here. How important is 60hz vs 120hz? I have an older 32 in vizio and its Ben great. Going to put that in bedroom and looking for a bigger one in family room on wall. Walmart has a Sony bravia 46 in led with a bluray player on sale for 998. Supposed normal price would be 1500 for both. Is 60hz ok here or do I downsize to get the 120hz?

Rather than starting a new thread I'm going to ask a question here. How important is 60hz vs 120hz? I have an older 32 in vizio and its Ben great. Going to put that in bedroom and looking for a bigger one in family room on wall. Walmart has a Sony bravia 46 in led with a bluray player on sale for 998. Supposed normal price would be 1500 for both. Is 60hz ok here or do I downsize to get the 120hz?

It probably depends on a number of other techno factors. I have a 46" Samsung w/60 ghrtz and it's very fluid - even the fastest game action is perfect to my eye. I have seen TVs that get kind of choppy showing high speed action - something else is at play...

It probably depends on a number of other techno factors. I have a 46" Samsung w/60 ghrtz and it's very fluid - even the fastest game action is perfect to my eye. I have seen TVs that get kind of choppy showing high speed action - something else is at play...

Also, plasmas don't suffer from this - it's strictly an LCD thing. The more refresh hrtz the smoother the picture (supposedly) just like your LCD monitor for your PC. I think they have 240hz out now for LCDs - maybe more.

Also, plasmas don't suffer from this - it's strictly an LCD thing. The more refresh hrtz the smoother the picture (supposedly) just like your LCD monitor for your PC. I think they have 240hz out now for LCDs - maybe more.

240hz is the current premium for LCD/LED which is why I'm such a plasma fan at 600hz...and as much as I hate 3D, the Panasonic Plasma looks to be the best so far - I think it's the G series and ends with a 10.... it looks the best so far when it comes to 3D...