[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I want one of these!

bpwallace49

I've got a buddy that has a Barrett M82A1 .50 BMG. The cheap ammo is $3.75 a round. The ammo that went through that wall well set you back $10 each time you pull the trigger. The gun itself will set you back about $7,500. It is fun to shoot. He let me pull of a couple of shots with the cheap stuff, then showed me what the expensive stuff can do. It is simply amazing.

ETA: You can get a M99A1 .50 BMG for a little over $4000.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Just cause you own the rifle doesn't mean you can make it perform like that.

Kinda reminiscent of the old adage, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Just cause you own the rifle doesn't mean you can make it perform like that.

Kinda reminiscent of the old adage, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Very true. My buddy is pretty good, but he isn't anywhere near that good, and I'm not nearly as good as my buddy on that thing. The farthest I can shoot accurately is about 600 yds with a 270 WSM, which throws a piece of lead about half the size of that thing.

I love how the guy couldn't hold back the smirk when talking about the blood spatter. But I have to admit, I would love to shoot one of them too.

That was the best bit - using the wall against them. I think that one round effectively vaporized all three of the scum.

They are fun to play with, no question.

Hitting at distance is becoming easier and easier with the quality of optics and other tools improving so quickly. It does still take practice and discipline, but more and more shooters are making the coveted 1000+ yard shots.

A friend of mine shot a cow elk last year at 880 yards - on his first time out with that gun. Two other friends have clean kills on game at over 1300 yards, though much more experienced.

These weapons are an absolute scream if any of you get the chance to use them. It is fascinating to administer such a force from such distances - those guys playing with artillery must have perma-grins after practice...

And yet you cannot buy a knife with a blade that flips open with a button.

Not nearly as dangerous as the thread gun... They should regulate those, too. :wacko:

They are fun to play with, no question.

Hitting at distance is becoming easier and easier with the quality of optics and other tools improving so quickly. It does still take practice and discipline, but more and more shooters are making the coveted 1000+ yard shots.

A friend of mine shot a cow elk last year at 880 yards - on his first time out with that gun. Two other friends have clean kills on game at over 1300 yards, though much more experienced.

These weapons are an absolute scream if any of you get the chance to use them. It is fascinating to administer such a force from such distances - those guys playing with artillery must have perma-grins after practice...

True about the optics. My VXIII has a B&C reticle which is good out to 600 yds. I was watching a hunting show on TV a few days ago, and it was advertising a scope that was caliber and platform specific that had a built in range finder. Supposedly it automatically adjusted the reticle out to 1000 yards based on it's internal range finder. You still have to make manual adjustments for wind, but if you have a hand held anemometer you can do that pretty easily as most of the affect the wind has on a bullet is withing the first 200 yards.

While that scope sounds awesome, I wouldn't want anything that relied on batteries. I'm sure that the batteries are expensive as well as hard to find. You probably have to order them through the manufacturer. It seems like just something else that could go wrong. I'd rather have a fixed reticle.

True about the optics. My VXIII has a B&C reticle which is good out to 600 yds. I was watching a hunting show on TV a few days ago, and it was advertising a scope that was caliber and platform specific that had a built in range finder. Supposedly it automatically adjusted the reticle out to 1000 yards based on it's internal range finder. You still have to make manual adjustments for wind, but if you have a hand held anemometer you can do that pretty easily as most of the affect the wind has on a bullet is withing the first 200 yards.

While that scope sounds awesome, I wouldn't want anything that relied on batteries. I'm sure that the batteries are expensive as well as hard to find. You probably have to order them through the manufacturer. It seems like just something else that could go wrong. I'd rather have a fixed reticle.

My buddies have this scope. While the clarity is not as good as some, the custom built (to caliber, velocity and bullet type and weight) takes a lot of the math and/or guesswork.

I like GreyBull precision scopes a lot, but wish they'd apply the same mods to higher power optics.

Optics planet will also custom make turrets for any high end Leupold scope, but I have no firsthand knowledge about how well they execute the product. As you can imagine, they need to be extemely precise in the manufacturing process to make things work right in the field.

My buddies have this scope. While the clarity is not as good as some, the custom built (to caliber, velocity and bullet type and weight) takes a lot of the math and/or guesswork.

I like GreyBull precision scopes a lot, but wish they'd apply the same mods to higher power optics.

Optics planet will also custom make turrets for any high end Leupold scope, but I have no firsthand knowledge about how well they execute the product. As you can imagine, they need to be extemely precise in the manufacturing process to make things work right in the field.

I've seen that, and from all indications they are pretty good. The one I was talking about actually does everything automatic with regard to range. I'm not sure who produces. I really don't think I want to rely on the scope to do it automatically, but that is just me.

You guys ever see any Dick Thomas custom optics? Guy in WV used to take stock scopes and build them custom for your ballistics chart or just to make them PRECISE. As in, if a click was 1/4" it was a by GAWD quarter-minute angle.