[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Outdoor surveillance / security camera

Ursa Majoris

Anyone got an outdoor security camera? I'm looking for one with these capabilities:

640x480 resolution, good color image

Day / night (night not completely essential as the place I want to set it up is usually lit)

Motion sensor

H264 streaming

Wireless able to connect to my wi-fi network

Cell / email alerts

Stream to a web site

Able to retain xx hours of recording and autodelete (prevent filling disk space)

Something like this one (though this doesn't have night vision).

Any recommendations?

Anyone got an outdoor security camera? I'm looking for one with these capabilities:

640x480 resolution, good color image

Day / night (night not completely essential as the place I want to set it up is usually lit)

Motion sensor

H264 streaming

Wireless able to connect to my wi-fi network

Cell / email alerts

Stream to a web site

Able to retain xx hours of recording and autodelete (prevent filling disk space)

Something like this one (though this doesn't have night vision).

Any recommendations?

I will check with my maintenance guys on Monday and see what they reccomend, this is their speciality

I saw something recently on the news about this and a guy was watching his camera from his Iphone when some guys were scoping out the place on his portch and he called the cops. His home had been broken into once before and when they busted the window an alarm sounded and they bailed. I'll see if I can find it buddy.

Did you move in with matt770?

:wacko:

---

I'm actually looking for a wireless, motion-sensing outdoor floodlight. Anyone have ideas?

I picked up one made by Westinghouse that is solar powered and motion activated. I wanted something I could mount under the deck so we have some light when we take the puppy out at night. Anyways, it was fairly cheap (< $50) and works sufficiently well so far. The light is LED and its not terribly bright but it does the job so far...

I think this is the one

Edited by Delicious_bass

Home Depot has many ideas about these.

Thanks, contrary to many of the morans here, I am adept at Googling. :tup:

Perhaps I mis-spoke... was looking more for posts like the below:

I picked up one made by Westinghouse that is solar powered and motion activated. I wanted something I could mount under the deck so we have some light when we take the puppy out at night. Anyways, it was fairly cheap (< $50) and works sufficiently well so far. The light is LED and its not terribly bright but it does the job so far...

I think this is the one

Yeah I'm not sure an LED would be bright enough... but for that price, who knows.

I was looking at this one:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1040-40...floodlight.aspx

... which also appears to be LED.... but I think it's twice as bright (20w vs. 45w) as the one you have. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

... which also appears to be LED.... but I think it's twice as bright (20w vs. 45w) as the one you have. :wacko:

LEDs aren't exactly like the incandescent bulbs you are used to. Twice as much wattage doesn't equal twice the power because many of these units use cheap, crappy LED modules. Now, I'm sure the one with 45W is brighter, but you want to look for some kind of delivered lumens measurement. The other thing to keep in mind with LEDs is that they are a very directional lamp source. So there should be some verbiage to how the flood is aimed (wide flood, narrow beam, etc.). You could end up with basically a spot light when you are actually looking for something to light up a general area. Anyway, just read some reviews and be thorough as there is a lot of crap in the LED residential market. (as a background, I used to sell commercial lighting and still do work for a lighting manufacture rep agency)

Thanks, contrary to many of the morans here, I am adept at Googling. :tup:

Perhaps I mis-spoke... was looking more for posts like the below:

Yeah I'm not sure an LED would be bright enough... but for that price, who knows.

Go with metal halide or halogen, those LED don't give off enough light. Is that better? :tup:

Yeah, I fully admit the one I have is not all that bright and might not suit your needs(depending on what they are). We have a walkout lot and neither of the lights by the back doors on the house cast much light out into the yard. Our deck is cantilevered so I mounted the light underneath so it kicks out some light into the yard when we take the dog out at night. When I get around to finishing the basement, I will have an electrician run wire out there and then I will get a nicer light set up. In the meantime, the one I have is doing the job sufficiently well for less than $50 and it took me about 15 minutes to install. So, I guess what I am trying to say is if you just want something cheap and easy for the purposes of giving some light for taking a pet out or maybe a quick trip out to the shed or something, the one I got would probably work well enough for a while. If you want something that will put out some bright light you can actually get some stuff done under or really light up an area, then you'll probably want to look for something different. Hope that helps.

You can't use an HID source with a motion detector. :wacko:

I just leave the metal halides on the back of the house on... Pisses my nearest neighbor off something fierce and he's about 300 yds away.

You can't use an HID source with a motion detector. :wacko:

I agreed with you, but then... (though it is always on in "low mode")

Probably a little unrealistic for the application were speaking of, though.

Edited by SEC=UGA