[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

But I thought obamacare was supposed to LOWER costs?

westvirginia

Wall Street Journal

Health insurers say they plan to raise premiums for some Americans as a direct result of the health overhaul in coming weeks, complicating Democrats' efforts to trumpet their signature achievement before the midterm elections.

Aetna Inc., some BlueCross BlueShield plans and other smaller carriers have asked for premium increases of between 1% and 9% to pay for extra benefits required under the law, according to filings with state regulators.

These and other insurers say Congress's landmark refashioning of U.S. health coverage, which passed in March after a brutal fight, is causing them to pass on more costs to consumers than Democrats predicted.

These and other insurers say Congress's landmark refashioning of U.S. health coverage, which passed in March after a brutal fight, is causing them to pass on more costs to consumers than Democrats predicted.

:wacko::tup::tup::lol:

WV, you are either gullible (which I doubt) or you think your audience is stupid (more likely).

:wacko::tup::tup::lol:

WV, you are either gullible (which I doubt) or you think your audience is stupid (more likely).

it sounds like it's the "Democrats" who "predicted" who are either gullible or think their audience is stupid. and I agree with your assessment that the latter is more likely.

Just got some quotes back for insurance at my company . . and the rates showed a MUCH smaller hike in premiums that we have had in the last 3 years. :tup: I doubt it has anything to do with the mandates . . and more to do with my group getting healthier.

But as long as the insurance companies protect those massive profits . . that really is the most important thing we can all feel good about. :wacko:

Just got some quotes back for insurance at my company . . and the rates showed a MUCH smaller hike in premiums that we have had in the last 3 years. :tup: I doubt it has anything to do with the mandates . . and more to do with my group getting healthier.

But as long as the insurance companies protect those massive profits . . that really is the most important thing we can all feel good about. :wacko:

Yep. 2% is ridiculously massive. I'm sure your business could run on that. :tup:

Seriously....Does anyone REALLY know what's in that bill???

I mean it's supposed to be 900+ pages long! :wacko:

Where's a synopsis of it? Cliff's Notes version?

Don't send me to a site that's opinions...right or left.

Health insurance companies HAVE to make a profit. Big surprise they are raising rates! :tup: It's a no win game for the consumer. Got to have it, but they'll get it back in spades!

God I hate insurance companies. :tup:

If you believe GW has no blame....

Drink the Kool-aid please!

I never said GW wasn't to blame for anything. All I was pointing out was the hypocrisy of those who do blame Bush for everything (like the left has done and still does) but then turn around and mock those who now blame Obama as well.

Edited by tosberg34

'They're betting that between now and November, you're going to come down with amnesia," President Obama told a Milwaukee crowd on Monday, vilifying the Republicans who "helped devastate our middle class." But it seems as if the real case of amnesia—or maybe post-traumatic stress disorder—has struck the Democrats, who are now doing everything they can to help voters forget ObamaCare.

This is a remarkable turn of events for Mr. Obama's major domestic achievement that was also supposed to be a political winner. Facing a grim November, Democrats are now running on another quarter-baked stimulus plan and the specter of John Boehner's perpetual tan, instead of the bill they spent more than a year debating and hailed as the liberal triumph of the century. Democrats now barely mention ObamaCare on the trail—unless they're trashing it.

In Milwaukee, the President made a few desultory mentions of "health care that will be there when you get sick." And in Cleveland Wednesday, his list of the iniquities from which he saved the country included "health insurance reform that stops insurance companies from jacking up your premiums at will."

But what about all the grandiose ambitions of universal coverage? What about bending the cost curve? The parade of horribles that would occur if Congress failed to act? "Our deficit will grow. More families will go bankrupt. More businesses will close. More Americans will lose their coverage when they are sick and need it most. And more will die as a result," as Mr. Obama put it in a speech to Congress a year ago.

The only politicians who today are finding any redeeming electoral value in ObamaCare are Republicans running on reform alternatives and the Democrats who voted against it. In South Dakota, four-term Democrat Stephanie Herseth Sandlin is running ads that tout her vote against "the trillion-dollar health-care plan." Mrs. Herseth Sandlin won in 2008 with 68% of the vote but now is in a dead heat against GOP challenger Kristi Noem.

Idaho freshman Walt Minnick says in one TV spot that "I've had to say no far more than I've said yes. I've said no to more government spending, no to President Obama's big health-care plan," because "standing up to what's wrong in Washington is right for Idaho." Pennsylvania's Jason Altmire, class of 2006, features constituents who say things like, "You saw when he voted against health care" and, "He's not afraid to stand up to the President."

Frank Kratovil from Maryland's eastern shore says he voted against ObamaCare and sundry other White House priorities because it was merely "common sense and doing what's best for our families." All these Members would be better off had their party used its historic majority for something else, but then again at least they're better off than Blue Dog colleagues like Earl Pomeroy (North Dakota) and Tom Perriello (Virginia) who voted for it and are in danger of defeat.

The Barney Franks and Pete Starks can continue to plug ObamaCare from their safe liberal redoubts. But the marginal seats are the ones that matter for controlling Congress. At any rate, even among the 219 House members and 60 Senators who voted for final passage, the new Democratic triage strategy seems to be to claim the bill is not perfect and could be improved, but it still has a heart of gold.

Senate Finance Chairman Max Baucus, who wrote most of the bill, attempted this line at an August townhall in Billings, Montana when he tried to calm an angry voter by saying, "Mark my words, several years from now, you're going to look back and say, 'Well, that wasn't so bad after all.'" Now there's an endorsement.

This public revolt comes despite the millions spent by Big spam and the Obama Administration to promote the bill since its passage. The Administration even rolled out ol' Andy Griffith of Mayberry for a plug, which has only hurt his reputation. This week two new pressure groups are forming to try again, the Health Information Center and the Health Information Campaign. These outfits were founded by former White House communications director Anita Dunn and Democratic strategist Andrew Grossman, formerly the executive director of Wal-Mart Watch, the Service Employees International Union-backed antibusiness outfit.

They plan to spend $2 million on TV advertising before the election to rebut ostensible "myths." Perhaps they have in mind the 1% to 9% premium increases that insurers nationwide are planning for individuals and small businesses to cover the cost of new mandated benefits, as the Journal's Janet Adamy reported.

These and many other emerging consequences of the bill—all of them predicted by opponents—are the reason it remains so unpopular. Democrats convinced themselves they could ram ObamaCare through Congress on the liberal noblesse oblige theory that the public would eventually come around, but their own campaign strategies now show how wrong they were. If Democrats are victims of their own success, so is everyone else—because despite the political second thoughts, the country is still stuck with this policy debacle.

WSJ

"Aetna Inc., some BlueCross BlueShield plans and other smaller carriers have asked for premium increases of between 1% and 9% to pay for extra benefits required under the law, according to filings with state regulators."
I work for a small company (now only 3 employees + the two 2 married owners) and our insurance is up for renewal at the end of this month. just filled out the paperwork to get quotes from 2 additional companies (Anthem and United). Apparently our insurance broker is claiming expected increases of 20-25% increase to pay for the new requirements. I'd be happy with just 1-9%.

Health Insurance companies have become like utility companies; we all require their services and there are very few competitors because of the high cost of operations (in health it is the high cost of medicine/equipment/doctor care). Very few people can afford this type of investment so competition is scarce, thus creating great price control for the provider. Regulation is required on some level. You cannot allow these types of companies to control prices themselves, it will spiral out of control and become a burden to society, when it is supposed to be a relief. Of course, this should all be obvious ...

:wacko:

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Go right ahead and repeal it then. You know what? They won't.

If they don't they won't serve a second term.

The Dems really screwed the pooch this time. Unless the repubs fark up more than usual they should stay in power long enough to clean up most of Obama's mess.