[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TERMITES!

Scooby

they invaded my house...we noticed what looked like paint flecks on the door molding leading to the backyard patio, only you could push your finger right thru the molding and also a small area on the wall nearby was soft to the touch. Horrified, the exterminator came out today and treated the perimeter of the house with Termidor for $3.25 per linear foot. Seems reasonable I guess...now we need a carpenter to repair the damages, though not too terrible and it coud have been much worse. I hate termites and am amazed how quickly the can do damage. I also had the false impression that buying this house 3.5 yrs ago with a clean bill of health for termites meant that I didnt need to have it under a termite contract. I also have a quarterly pest control service,(they come out here t treat the house like clock work) but that does nothing to prevent termites. I thought those chemicals would kill all bugs, once again wrong impression!! Ok my rant is over, did I mention I hate termites? lol!

Scoob,

Every thing I ever heard from people down south is:

"Termite protection is a maintenance cost."

Long story short...I had about 2 pints of Chlordane 10 years ago. Was trying to just get rid of it. (It's been illegal since the late 70's)

A friend of mine who was retiring down to MS, said "I'll take all you got!" LOL He got it!

We get ants, mice and other vermin that varies from year to year. Granted I'll take those over termites any time.

Good luck!

Hope the damage isn't too bad.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Ugh......I'm with you, Scoob.......hate 'em!! Got a frantic call from my inlaws a few years ago. Seems my nephew was staying with them for a few weeks and heard them in the wall. Heard them....really? Sure enough......the suckers had destroyed the main support beam on the first floor. :wacko:

The exterminator charged them some outrageous fee......$2300 or something. But what a job to repair! :tup:

We live in the woods. We had a pest preventer business (Orkin or some such) come and give us an astronomical price to protect our house. When we asked why the price was so high, he said, "Why you're livin' in a ring of FIRE!!"

Needless to say, he didn't get our business. Found a dude to do it for half the cost with the same guarantees.

Besides with all these trees around, why would the termites even want to take on treated wood? Right, Right? :wacko:

ETA: One thing we do have a very real problem with are CARPENTER BEES. Those f0ck3rs suck azz.

Edited by cre8tiff