[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Time-Gap Sequels

SheikYerbuti

The new Wall Street movie had me thinking. In theory, the idea of waiting decades between movies and seeing a recurring character at very different times in their lives is a really good idea. It's been done badly (the last Indiana Jones) and it's been done VERY well (Fast Eddie Felson, Godfather I and II which is especially cool because they start with old Vito and then flashback).

Can you think of other examples in film where a character is portrayed younger and older?

The last Rocky movie was really good. Old retired Rocky trying to reconcile with his yuppie son. Great take on the character reaching that next chapter of his life, out of the spotlight, just trying to make up for all the time away from the kid when he was training and fighting. Sly actually does some credible acting and you can mostly make out what he's saying.

Carlito's Way isn't a sequel to anything, though it does work as an alternate-universe sequel to Scarface.

sorry, wrong title. There was a sequel to Carlito's Way that was released a couple years ago. It was so terrible that I won't bother researching the title. It wasn't Pacino. I believe it was a P-Diddy production.