[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My biggest vote in a while

Clubfoothead

http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/2010/...inking-problem/

So I'm all over the place on this one.

My house is about 2 miles away from where you can buy beer and liquor so it's not an inconvenience to pick anything up. I quit drinking about 4 years ago. My wife still drinks, most of our friends drink. I don't have a problem with drinking I just don't. Most of our local restaurants are BYOB and that's sort of cool. Otherwise, I've got that membership on my drivers license. On a personal level, I have no need for a more liberal booze law. And I don't see how it would benefit my neighborhood other than to see some liquor stores popping up, maybe a few more DUIs in the area. From a practical standpoint, I don't see the change as anything but a negative.

On the other hand, it's kind of an antiquated BS, infringement on personal freedom based on religion law that I shouldn't be upset about since I'm a communist but the law is really in opposition to most of the things I believe in.

So I'm wondering what the opinions are in the Tailgate both in terms of strictly which way to vote as well as how you would handle an issue where from a practical sense you feel one way and from a political sense, you feel another. I don't see much of a snowball effect either way but it's been the #1 local issue of consideration for me this year.

This couldn't possibly get personal?

On the other hand, it's kind of an antiquated BS, infringement on personal freedom based on religion law that I shouldn't be upset about since I'm a communist but the law is really in opposition to most of the things I believe in.

So I'm wondering what the opinions are in the Tailgate both in terms of strictly which way to vote as well as how you would handle an issue where from a practical sense you feel one way and from a political sense, you feel another.

I will ALWAYS vote against smoking bans, even though I think smoking is foul and smokers are, in a broad sense, self-centered pricks. It's just busybody activism - how can you take away the right to engage in a LEGAL activity on PRIVATE property? That, and the logic is specious - if so many people want smokeless bars and restaurants, bar and restaurant owners can certainly choose to go smokeless and watch all the smoke-free $$$$ roll in. But in my experience, smoke-free places usually did no better, and generally worse, than places that allowed smoking.

It's crap legislation, thought up by some using crap logic, and put out there by politicians who should be addressing REAL problems instead of this nanny-state garbage.

I will also be generally happy to be on the losing side of the issue. Smokeless bars and restaurants rule.

I will ALWAYS vote against smoking bans, even though I think smoking is foul and smokers are, in a broad sense, self-centered pricks. It's just busybody activism - how can you take away the right to engage in a LEGAL activity on PRIVATE property? That, and the logic is specious - if so many people want smokeless bars and restaurants, bar and restaurant owners can certainly choose to go smokeless and watch all the smoke-free $$$$ roll in. But in my experience, smoke-free places usually did no better, and generally worse, than places that allowed smoking.

It's crap legislation, thought up by some using crap logic, and put out there by politicians who should be addressing REAL problems instead of this nanny-state garbage.

I will also be generally happy to be on the losing side of the issue. Smokeless bars and restaurants rule.

+1000

I haven't had a drink in 15 years. My wife does not drink either. There was a vote in a neighboring community, and while I didn't get to vote on it, I would have voted for it had it been in my voting district. My wife on the other hand would have voted against it. I would vote for it, as I think it would actually lower the number of DWI's in an area as people have less distance to travel to and from the beer store. As it is, right now the closest beer store is about 25 miles away. How many people really wait until they get home to pop a top? How many college kids get on the road after already having a few to drive that 25 miles to get more when they run out? The other thing is, why give the neighboring counties the tax income on the liquor sales? Why not keep that income local? The people against it said that the tax income wouldn't cover the additional law enforcement cost involved, but I just don't buy that. Like I said before I think it would actually lower the number of drunk drivers on the road.

I agree with both chavez and perch as they offer good reasons -- one principled, one practical -- to vote the more libertarian angle on this issue.

I hate agreeing with Az, but in this case I do.

I agree with the sentiment.

I have never understood the law that it is illegal to purchase alcohol from a store on Sunday (here in GA) but, you can go to a bar or restaurant and order and consume alcoholic beverages on Sunday. It seems to say to me, "Hey, we aren't going to allow you to sit in your house and drink, but, if you wanna get smashed at a bar and then drive home... feel free."

Edited by SEC=UGA

I didn't realize Dallas had such a lame law on the books. People have to choose if they want to live in a wet/dry area? Very 1920s of you down there but give me a break. I'd vote wet and step the area into the 1970s. People who drink don't stop because they have to drive farther to the liquor store. You might actually have DUIs go down as less people are making a beer run across town (many after they have already started drinking).

It's by neighborhood/area of town. You can buy booze in Dallas all over but in certain neighborhoods you can't. I live in a dry neighborhood but only about 2 miles from a beer store. It's never been a problem as far as access or I wouldn't have bought the house I did. When I buy a 6 pack of beer for my wife, Dallas County and the city of Dallas already get the tax. I never leave the Dallas CIty limits. It's not an issue of making the places you can get a drink dry all of a sudden.

The more I think about this, maybe it's no more than a simple zoning matter. No far reaching implications, no statments about religion in politics, no liberal vs. conservative. Just a simple matter of zoning.

As someone who would love to be able to get a prescription card like Az has, I really don't want to vote in favor the ban, I'm just not sure who benefits by moving a liquor store 2 miles closer to my house than it already is. When it's just a zoning issue, I don't want them any closer. When it's bigger than that, I don't like the law. So I still don't know.

And why am I not voting to legalize pot in this same elction?

It's by neighborhood/area of town. You can buy booze in Dallas all over but in certain neighborhoods you can't. I live in a dry neighborhood but only about 2 miles from a beer store. It's never been a problem as far as access or I wouldn't have bought the house I did. When I buy a 6 pack of beer for my wife, Dallas County and the city of Dallas already get the tax. I never leave the Dallas CIty limits. It's not an issue of making the places you can get a drink dry all of a sudden.

The more I think about this, maybe it's no more than a simple zoning matter. No far reaching implications, no statments about religion in politics, no liberal vs. conservative. Just a simple matter of zoning.

As someone who would love to be able to get a prescription card like Az has, I really don't want to vote in favor the ban, I'm just not sure who benefits by moving a liquor store 2 miles closer to my house than it already is. When it's just a zoning issue, I don't want them any closer. When it's bigger than that, I don't like the law. So I still don't know.

And why am I not voting to legalize pot in this same elction?

You want a bunch of stoners hanging out your your yard and your property values to decrease or you want to put a bunch of minorities out of business? :wacko:

ETA- I misread :tup:

Edited by SEC=UGA

He misread it because he is tripping balls on shrooms right now . . . . . :wacko:

Holy GOD!!! I have no recollection of this thread what so ever... I was combing through the TG today and saw this and was like "Hey, this might be interesting..." and then saw I had posted... Crazy.